One knife?

gunslinger387

Gold Member
Basic Member
I was watching Alone and wondering what would be the ONE knife I would carry. Obviously I thought of the HDFK but then I was thinking that if I was out there for months (purely hypothetical) how would I sharpen it? Delta 3V is awesome for certain but could you actually sharpen it without a dedicated stone or stones. What one knife would you take and why?

In theory the HDFK. But because the HDFK is new to me and I don’t have the feel of it yet, I have to go with the WCSK. It’s an ugly knife, but it’s functional once you learn it and it just destroys wood chores. It gives me the confidence I would want to have in a one knife scenario. In theory, though, like I said—the HDFK. Because it is the perfect knife. Literally the perfect knife.

edit: added a photo so you can appreciate its full ugliness.

Attachments

• 36B494EB-9104-403E-B03F-38A02B0BAB81.jpeg
    36B494EB-9104-403E-B03F-38A02B0BAB81.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I usually do not chime in on these things but this is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. I am a fan of the show and have thought about this more than once while watching. For me Carothers does not make the “ one knife”. It is more about size than material and sharpening. I have both a HDFK and a HDMC but if I had to take only one knife I feel the FK is a little small and the MC is a little large. So I hope Carothers is reading this . . . . I have had over 1000 custom knives pass through my hands over the years and I would look for a knife with a 8 inch blade that is at least 2 inches wide and 1/4 thick. I know most think a knife with a six inch blade is more than enough but that is just not me. For me, this is the perfect all around camp/survival knife size.

I usually do not chime in on these things but this is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. I am a fan of the show and have thought about this more than once while watching. For me Carothers does not make the “ one knife”. It is more about size than material and sharpening. I have both a HDFK and a HDMC but if I had to take only one knife I feel the FK is a little small and the MC is a little large. So I hope Carothers is reading this . . . . I have had over 1000 custom knives pass through my hands over the years and I would look for a knife with a 8 inch blade that is at least 2 inches wide and 1/4 thick. I know most think a knife with a six inch blade is more than enough but that is just not me. For me, this is the perfect all around camp/survival knife size.

I think they have something in the works just like you describe. The “camp knife” iirc.

unlike Lorien I don’t have that kind of skill, on Alone they don’t get to take set of stones with them but they can have a multi-tool with a file. They have to make do with what they find. I think there are a couple of D2 HDFK in the wild and I was thinking that might be the overall best choice between toughness, edge retention and being able to touch up the edge.

They can choose one sharpening stone to take with them, but I haven't found D3V that difficult to sharpen and keeping it sharp has been very easy.
I looked at what they good bring and must have missed it. Your right about it staying sharp. I was inquiring about extended use. I don’t have Nathan’s or Lorien’s skill but if it’s possible you sure do have enough time to perfect the skill.

I will second this in general; and 8” blade profiled somewhere the HDFK and MC. The 7/33” or 0.22 thickness is literally perfect.
I find myself flipping back and forth between those two knives for daily carry at work (along with an old school Leatherman PST).

If Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , Lorien Lorien and team are watching this; that size range is perfect for still being able to belt carry comfortably while being able to punch up a weight class.
Combine the forward lanyard hole (straight up is the only safe way to clear brush and chop especially while in the field) and a little more guard than the current HDFK and you have an all rounder camp/ultra light chopper/defensive blade that still is compact enough to throw on a belt everyday you walk out the door.

I thought about it awhile after reading this thread and with the parameters of the show I would probably opt for the HDFK since they are allowed a pocket knife and or multi-tool those could handle cleaning fish and game including big game in this situation. And I would have a saw for felling trees and cutting firewood to length.

In that situation I wouldn't need to split all the wood I burned. And the HDFK can handle splitting what I may need and still is nimble enough for using on large game and other cutting tasks ... plus the lighter weight would be nice especially after a month of little food when your body is fighting for every bit of energy.

I love my big CPK knives as much as anyone but a chopper for me is an "extra". I can push the HDFK into hard duty if needed and yes I could probably push an MC into processing a deer in a pinch ... but IMO the HDFK is a better balance.

If I'm being 100% honest with myself ... unless I got careless I could get by with the FK2 and I would use it for far more tasks. The one thing would make me chose the HDFK instead would be the need to build a good shelter. Fitting logs together to hold up to those conditions can take a lot of shaving etc... and instead of using one of my items for a draw knife the HDFK can fill that roll.

My LC would be tempting but once I got an MC the LC hasn't seen a lot of use I go from HDFK to MC. The HDFK just feels so good in my hand and the balance makes it handle like a much smaller knife.

Just one fools thoughts ... worth exactly what you paid for them.

I thought about it awhile after reading this thread and with the parameters of the show I would probably opt for the HDFK since they are allowed a pocket knife and or multi-tool those could handle cleaning fish and game including big game in this situation. And I would have a saw for felling trees and cutting firewood to length.

In that situation I wouldn't need to split all the wood I burned. And the HDFK can handle splitting what I may need and still is nimble enough for using on large game and other cutting tasks ... plus the lighter weight would be nice especially after a month of little food when your body is fighting for every bit of energy.

I love my big CPK knives as much as anyone but a chopper for me is an "extra". I can push the HDFK into hard duty if needed and yes I could probably push an MC into processing a deer in a pinch ... but IMO the HDFK is a better balance.

If I'm being 100% honest with myself ... unless I got careless I could get by with the FK2 and I would use it for far more tasks. The one thing would make me chose the HDFK instead would be the need to build a good shelter. Fitting logs together to hold up to those conditions can take a lot of shaving etc... and instead of using one of my items for a draw knife the HDFK can fill that roll.

My LC would be tempting but once I got an MC the LC hasn't seen a lot of use I go from HDFK to MC. The HDFK just feels so good in my hand and the balance makes it handle like a much smaller knife.

Just one fools thoughts ... worth exactly what you paid for them.
I’am with you there on splitting wood for fire :p but shelter building the need for a little more Knife might come in handy . :)

I've sharpened a 3V Field knife on a freakin rock

If I happened on a rock smooth enough to sharpen a knife, I'd keep it.

Last weekend in my sister in law's kitchen i grabbed a very dull, but otherwise decent Benchmade kitchen knife. I then grabbed the first coffee mug within reach and went at it.

My sister in law was both stunned and fascinated that you could do that. "What. ARE. you. Doing?!"

my point is that, as far as the steel is concerned, it's not so wear resistant that it's harder than any other carbon steel to sharpen. But the steel type is only part of the equation, edge geometry plays a huge role and that aspect is one that separates CPK from the rest of the pack.

Also, learn to sharpen a damn knife! It's not rocket science, it's just repetitive practice. Get a cheap knife to practice on, is my advice.

I have been working on an HDFK XL, which is a survival knife like the og HDFK, but with more reach and a very secure handle. Not a handle designed for extended chopping, but designed for safety in that it won't fly out of your hand

my vote for the one knife is the HDFK, with a sheath that has a pocket for a sharpening stone in it

Back