One knife?

Assuming I would be doing at least some chopping, the Medium Chopper (21.3 oz.) would be my minimum choice. If I could only take one, it would be the Behemoth (24.5 oz.) for any serious chopping. In my opinion, the HDFK (12.8 oz.) is too light for any significant chopping.

@JJ_Colt45 mentioned a saw - I have not seen the show, so I'm not familiar with the rules. If I could have a saw and a knife, maybe I would go with the MC.

I would have to go with the HDFK. If there was a HDFK XL, I would have to buy one. I don’t think it would push the HDFK out of its favored position though. One of the things I love about the HDFK is it’s brute power in a compact design. It chops very well for such a short blade and I don’t see another 2” making it that much better. I find my HDMC and Behemoth to be very comparable.

I would have to go with the HDFK. If there was a HDFK XL, I would have to buy one. I don’t think it would push the HDFK out of its favored position though. One of the things I love about the HDFK is it’s brute power in a compact design. It chops very well for such a short blade and I don’t see another 2” making it that much better. I find my HDMC and Behemoth to be very comparable.

A blast from the not so distant past:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/page-144#post-19095869

Not so sure as to why I inserted the link responding to you and your post about this topic other than to tell you that I like you. You're a CPK-Hommie, hommie :D

HDFK for me too. I love the smaller blades because I use them more frequently because they're on my person.

But if I only get 1, a big knife can often do everything a small knife will, just not as well... but a small knife won't do everything a big knife can.

I don’t know anything about the show but the first thing I do with a knife when we set up camp is set up for a fire.

I’m gonna piss in everyone’s cereal and say GB SFA.

Because mine is sharp enough to make curls, so it can do anything I need a knife to do generally, and a whole lot more. Cheap too.

I’m relatively new to CPK. Still trying to get my hands on an HDFK to have an opinion. If anyone wants to help with that...please let me know. I recently picked up a LC, I really like the weight and balance. A little too long for fine work. A more pronounced Choil would give me greater confidence and enable me to use it glove free. Sign me up for a CPK 8 inch .22 3V NASK.

I really like the FK2 for a day hike and fire prep. A little more length and heft would make it easier to process logs or notch with. I’m curios how the HDFK does with these tasks.

On multi day trips I don’t carry just one (do it all) knife but if I had to, it would currently be the Basic 8 INFI.

Last edited:
my point is that, as far as the steel is concerned, it's not so wear resistant that it's harder than any other carbon steel to sharpen. But the steel type is only part of the equation, edge geometry plays a huge role and that aspect is one that separates CPK from the rest of the pack.

Also, learn to sharpen a damn knife! It's not rocket science, it's just repetitive practice. Get a cheap knife to practice on, is my advice.

I have been working on an HDFK XL, which is a survival knife like the og HDFK, but with more reach and a very secure handle. Not a handle designed for extended chopping, but designed for safety in that it won't fly out of your hand

my vote for the one knife is the HDFK, with a sheath that has a pocket for a sharpening stone in it

Lorien is the HDFK XL the same as the camp knife you have spoken of? Can you tell us more about its design and intended uses?

Already said it in other threads, but the MC is my Goldilocks CPK. Over the decades, I've gotten used to Large Camp Knives in the 9" - 10" blade range.

As others have mentioned, I can do most things with those that I can with a small knife (although some tasks may not be as easy), but the things that a bigger knife does well, a small knife requires expending a lot more effort for.

I always have a small pocket knife wherever I'm going, and if I really needed the maneuverability of a small blade, I could use that, but if I was absolutely restricted to one knife for extended time in the wilderness; MC hands down. I can field dress a rabbit (or anything else) with it, and building a fire or shelter is a lot easier with the better chopping ability.

The HDFK appears to be a fine little Powerhouse :thumbsup::thumbsup: Still a little extra length on a blade it more often helpful :) cuts lower reaches higher and just a little further :thumbsup::thumbsup: the MC is a little heavier but still manageable and I’m sure hits much harder :D. For some the HDFK will get what ever they need done no doubt about it :) The MC is my choice and I’m fine with what everyone else is happy with :). Great work out :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Oh yea, Thank You Lorien for all you have done so us pee-on’s have the chance to own some GREAT BLADES :thumbsup::thumbsup: . Thank You to the whole CPK Team :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
I own a FK2, an HDFK, and an MC, I’d go with the HDFK.
When chopping the MC does hit a touch harder but not too much more than I can get with a 3 finger grip on the HDFK. The extra length would be great for some shelter building chores and wood prep but if cleaning game was an option I find the MC too large. I dressed out a few deer last year with the HDFK and found it to be as big as I’d like to go for that particular job.
I’ve made plenty of fires with all 3 knives and even though the FK2 makes better curls and I can’t wait to use it during deer season I’d choose the HDFK hands down as my do everything blade because I like the handle better than the FK2 and for me it’ll do just about everything the MC will do. If I had a saw and an axe I’d switch from having trouble between taking the medium or large to deciding between the medium or small.
A nice small forest axe could take care of all of it.

I own a FK2, an HDFK, and an MC, I’d go with the HDFK.
When chopping the MC does hit a touch harder but not too much more than I can get with a 3 finger grip on the HDFK. The extra length would be great for some shelter building chores and wood prep but if cleaning game was an option I find the MC too large. I dressed out a few deer last year with the HDFK and found it to be as big as I’d like to go for that particular job.
I’ve made plenty of fires with all 3 knives and even though the FK2 makes better curls and I can’t wait to use it during deer season I’d choose the HDFK hands down as my do everything blade because I like the handle better than the FK2 and for me it’ll do just about everything the MC will do. If I had a saw and an axe I’d switch from having trouble between taking the medium or large to deciding between the medium or small.
A nice small forest axe could take care of all of it.

I’m glad to see someone else on team SFA!

Back