One steel for the rest of your life. Which one and why?

If I could pick one for folders and one for fixed blades it would be. Folders- M390 Fixed- CPM 3V

If it was just one overall, it would easily be CPM 3V. I have a 3 inch folder in 3V all the way up to a 22 inch blade slimline machete I beat the crap out of. Both perform amazingly well, and so do the other 6 3V blades I have in between. With the right HT it is very hard to beat as an all around blade steel.

Exactly this!

If I could pick one for folders and one for fixed blades it would be. Folders- M390 Fixed- CPM 3V

If it was just one overall, it would easily be CPM 3V. I have a 3 inch folder in 3V all the way up to a 22 inch blade slimline machete I beat the crap out of. Both perform amazingly well, and so do the other 6 3V blades I have in between. With the right HT it is very hard to beat as an all around blade steel.

Yeah, this sounds reasonable.

12C27 Decent preformence allround, and I'd still be able to touch up the kitchen knives the wife cuts into glass and metal with. with in a few minutes
This. Tough for a stainless, easy to sharpen, and, of course, stainless!

CPM Cruwear or PD#1/Z wear etc.

It works great anywhere from rc 58 to rc 64 and can be heat treated for toughness or higher abrasive wear resistance by using different heat treats.It can do anything I'm likely to need done. Alternately 3V, up to 4V or Vandis 4E can work for my needs. CPM M4 is also one of my favorites and can be pretty high all around performance wise but is about as high a carbide fraction as I would choose for a "one steel for life" scenario.

Joe

Not an advocate of any steel in particular, If there was only 1 steel available and all knives were made with this 1 steel whatever that steel is I wouldn't sleep any differently.

My current favorite is LC200N. Fully stainless, easy to sharpen, taking a great edge with decent edge retention. I think I could live with just this steel. M390 is close second.

Miso

Interesting and subjective. I have no answer. It seems worth noting that 440C, 1095 and Sandvik have started out so well against the latest and greatest.

I can't decide between my original favorite s90v or the newer super steels I've been using like m390, m4, maxamet.

I love all 4 and im sure there are more I might like that I haven't tried like rex121 etc.

I'll go with A2. Easy to sharpen to a wicked edge, and it holds an edge. I don't mind keeping it clean and dry, don't care that it is not stainless.

If it was a stainless steel, I would go with 154CM.

I don't have any experience with "super steels."

For light use folders and EDC type fixed blades, I would choose CPM 154. It is relatively easy to sharpen and holds a keen edge long enough with use.
For larger fixed blades, I'm not sure but I suspect it would be CPM 3V as it is tough enough. But I don't own a 3V blade. I'm pretty content with D2.

From the knives in my use it would be M390, holds an edge for a long while.

M4 since it holds a super fine edge for ever and sharpens up with not too much trouble

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back