Online Knife making books on Google

It's been over a year and a quarter since we've added to this.

Here's a real treasure.

Out of print and selling for hundreds although you can still find a bargain here and there
Check it out and go buy a copy while they are still under a hundred.

How to Make Folding Knives : A Step-by-Step How-to by Ron Lake, Frank Centofante and Wayne Clay

Lockback knives

41YN8Ly4gHL._SL500_.jpg

http://uploading.com/6c4adme4/How-to-Make-Folding-Knives-Lake-Lockback-pdf

I haven't done this in a while and this stuff changes often so I gave it a test run.

Have a pop up blocker on, and the "Ad Block Plus" add on for Firefox or Chrome, or you may get a stock market book sales pitch

Don't click any of the girls, or the flashing buttons

1- UN-check the box for download accelerator.

2- Wait for the 10 second countdown

3- Click "Download for free" button

4- Select your folder and save

Last edited:
A great find from Chuck - Wild Rose

Peterson's book on tomahawks is down loadable for free here
http://archive.org/details/americanindiant00pete

American Indian tomahawks (1971)

Author: Peterson, Harold Leslie, 1922-
Subject: Tomahawks
Publisher: New York] Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation
Possible copyright status: Permission to digitize granted by the rights holder
Language: English
Call number: 39088015272503
Digitizing sponsor: Smithsonian Institution Libraries
Book contributor: Smithsonian Institution Libraries
Collection: smithsonian

Right click this link and Save Link as, or Save Target As
https://ia700703.us.archive.org/14/items/americanindiant00pete/americanindiant00pete.pdf

Last edited:
Count, their spam program is much smarter than my popup blocker- it's impossible to get to the download option before it goes crazy...
If this is a free book, is there any other way to download it?

Count, their spam program is much smarter than my popup blocker- it's impossible to get to the download option before it goes crazy...
If this is a free book, is there any other way to download it?

The tomahawk book is at the internet archive site, very reliable site so I assume you mean the lockback folder book.

The problem is that these are large quality large size files.

I cannot just email them or attach them in this forum for file size limits.
They are about 20 times too large for that.

These are free download services and there is a trade off between free and advertising.
Show me a better site and I'll use it.

I usually use AdBlockPlus ad as an add in to Firefox or Chrome and that takes care of all the garbage.

I tried it without any ad block protection
By following my instructions in that post I can still get it again and again with no trouble.
Don't click any of the flashing buttons.

Last edited:
I get a popup after a few seconds that takes up almost the whole page, if I try to move or minimize it, it downloads an .exe file- then it goes right away to a page that's all about Accelerator with nothing about the book. I don't mind spam, they're just trying to make a buck, usually, but this is a case where the advertising makes whatever else is on the page non functional.
Perhaps it's just my computer or my geographic area.
Thanks for the suggestion for AdBlock, I'll give it a try!

Edit: Yup, AdBlock stopped the overlay that made it so I couldn't see the options, thanks! Worked great.

Last edited:
I'm glad it worked for you.

I found that whenI tested it, if you don't uncheck that accelerator box within the 10 seconds it will do that instead of just getting that file.

I must have a different setting in my browser than you do.
I have it set so that it does not immediately switch to a new tab.

when a new tab or page opens I still stay looking at what I am currently looking at.
That gives me the time to uncheck the box too.

Not strictly knife related but I think it's good reading.

Miller posts this on their website for free, but it's chapter by chapter

I assembled it all together in one file.

It's been taken down

Last edited:
does anybody have

"Knifecraft: A Comprehensive Step-By-Step Guide to the Art of Knifemaking"

and

"Basic Knife Making: From Raw Steel to a Finished Stub Tang Knife"

does anybody have

"Knifecraft: A Comprehensive Step-By-Step Guide to the Art of Knifemaking"

I have that, haven't read it yet can't comment on it.
I may upload it someday but you can still get it on Amazon for $10 to $12 used if you're in a rush.

"Basic Knife Making: From Raw Steel to a Finished Stub Tang Knife"

That's currently being published and sold for $22 ish, buy it and give us a review please

Here's a real treasure.

Out of print and selling for hundreds although you can still find a bargain here and there
Check it out and go buy a copy while they are still under a hundred.

How to Make Folding Knives : A Step-by-Step How-to by Ron Lake, Frank Centofante and Wayne Clay

Thank You So Very Much. Found a used copy for $50. Hope it gets to me.
Real Treasure is Right.

"A Comprehensive Step-By-Step Guide to the Art of Knifemaking" Sid Latham
A1brk4fY0eL.jpg

If you want meaningful step by step instructions then my recommendations are:
Step-by-Step Knifemaking- David Boye
Custom Knifemaking 10 projects from a Master Craftsman Tim McCreight
Nick Wheeler's huge WIP Stuck in the Metal With You http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Wheeler-s-Steel-*-Stuck-in-the-metal-with-you

This book was copyrighted in 1971 or so by a photographer who is not a knifemaker nor a writer.

It's actually an overview of the processes by a few different makers as advertising to give you a greater appreciation of what goes into a custom knife.

It does that well with use of current makers and trends, but from 1971 those current trends are 50 years old and this an interesting snap shot of vintage but not quite historical knife-making.

It seems his information is summarized from reading ABS leaflets.

The best points are the excellent black and white photographs which are clearly published on semi-gloss paper.
These photos are superior to most other knifemaking texts.

It has dated content such as edge packing and the use of 440C steel as the leading edge custom knife stainless steel, also some of the other details are downright sketchy.

Paraphrasing "now go ahead, drill the holes and pin the handles on"
Truly comprehensive instructions on layout, drilling and pinning could have taken several pages of text and photos to explain and illustrate clearly.

Instead of that it was done in one sentence with a backhand comment that assumed that everyone knows how

There is a section on Damascus by Bill Moran
He uses an interrupted quench and recommends no other tempering.
He then suggests testing the blade by giving it a hard smack across the anvil.
Thre's nothing like smashing your hand hammered damascus knife that took a week to make- into bits and pieces to see how the temper is...

In hindsight, I paid too much for this book.
If you can find it cheaply and you accept that this is a nostalgic look into the past and not an instructional text then it's worth the afternoon's entertainment

Last edited:
Does anyone have a few pages from the book?: How to Make Multi-Blade Folding Knives, by Eugene Shadley and Terry Davis.
expensive copies out there. I wonder how it compares to the Lake,Centofante,Clay book which is very well structured. Can't wait for my copy.

edit: bought the book. supporting these authors are putting me in the poorer house.

Last edited:
Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976:
Allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.
Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing.
Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use of this video for educational purposes.

Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others
who Heat Treat and Forge Steel

http://www.feine-klingen.de/PDFs/verhoeven.pdf

My professional career has been supported by publicly funded institutions.
Therefore, I grant any user copyright permission to download and print a copy of this
book for personal use or any teacher to do the same for their students.

50$ knife shop is what im looking for

google the tile and .pdf it's available

Keep in mind, that book is not that useful

He has a good simple get 'er done approach to equipping a knife shop with scrounged and recycled materials to build workshop equipment.

He stresses forging, which is interesting, but simple stock removal is where most makers would start.

Although this book is extremely popular for the beginner,
(It has a great title)
I find that it causes a lot of confusion for the beginner on a few points.

1. Cable damascus is certainly interesting, but not a beginners project.

2. His use of scrap yard steels is a fun approach, but the unknown identity of the steel means that the proper heat treating method is not known. A very experienced smith can use his skill and experience to make a judgement, but that is not for the beginner the book is aimed at. Forget about saw and lawnmower blades, good quality proper steel is cheap.

3. His use of homemade solid quenchant made of bacon grease, wax and automotive oil is not suitable.
Proper commercial quenchants are available with different quench speeds and should be matched to the steel type used.

The books by Jim Hrisoulas have better information, but this book is inexpensive, widely sold in a lot of stores and popular for getting many started.

Back