Ontario 499 Weight & Balance

Hello Friends!

I occasionally lurk around the Buck forums here, but I have an issue with another knife which, for the longest time, I've not thought much of. This of course is the 499 Aircrew Survival Knife. A picture, just because:

Ontario499A.JPG

...In any sense, I eventually got fed up with the terrible, but apparently purposeful (within a very limited context) original edge grind on the knife. My previous reprofilings by hand produced a usable edge, but still not a great one, so I set up my belt sander and produced a full convex edge on both the main cutting edge as well as the swedge. I then evened everything out by hand with stones and sandpaper. I was going to hold off on doing something this drastic until I learned how to properly parkerize steel, but the uncoated edges actually have a wonderful contrast to them against the black oxide on the other surfaces - perhaps I'll just leave it that way?

After doing this, however, I started to wonder about how I may have changed the weight and balance of the knife. Current weight of the knife comes in at 8.9oz, just a hair under the listed weight over on Knife Center. Point of balance now rests at 1 1/16" behind the handguard (facing the leather handle). In a relaxed hold, this still balances between the index and middle fingers, which is often a reasonable standard for the balance point on a small knife. However, I wonder if the balance point was supposed to be closer to the first channel in the handle, rather than the second (the new PoB is basically right on the second)?

...In any sense, if someone is willing to get measurements from a more "stock" '499 they happen to have, I'd be happy to take that information. My '499 basically is a project knife that I can use as a beater, as I have better prospects for a knife of this size in the future. However, it's still a great cutlery practice knife, and anything I can do to balance its real-world utility AND its designed handling will be my goal.

Thanks for listening!

Hi Thaeris, welcome to BF. Your picture doesn’t show for me so I can’t be sure but I doubt you removed so much material that the balance point moved significantly. Here is a stock Ontario 1994 model, weight and balance point.

My user 499. I had it for a while and got it out one day to practice some freehand sharpening. Once it had a decent, new and thinner edge I was pleasantly surprised how well it cut and held that edge. Became a solid go-to after that.

Thanks, Blue Sky!

You're correct, it looks like I didn't end up taking too much meat off from the blade at all, though it really seems like I must have. The top swedge really ended up with a rather extreme shape vs. the standard knife, but it certainly does look neat the way it turned out.

Sorry the image isn't working for you - I linked it through Dropbox. I see it just fine on Firefox, whether I was logged into Blade Forums or not. Try the links below if you care for a direct link instead:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7p5d6lb0jxudzku/Ontario499A.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddhm7xw3e0lwsmr/Ontario499B.JPG?dl=0

...The second image is rather poor - my old camera doesn't like to focus without using the flash - but it does show the contrast between the phosphate finish and the polished finish really well.

I also agree with you about the potential of the knife once re-profiled. I think someone in the general discussion area on this forum made a case for why the knife is the way it is out-of-the-box, but it just doesn't work for the world at large. However, there is something else that might be worth trying out with the original edge grind: throwing. Apparently these, while 1095, are not given a high degree of hardness in their heat-tread, so they can better survive impact and shock. They're also really chunky in terms of blade presence. So before I did a full reprofile on mine, I found it was a lot of fun to chuck at dead trees, and it did a real number when it came to sticking them. I'd be a lot more hesitant to throw the knife now!

I can see them now, thanks. This knife gets a certain grudging respect from many, not all, but the one thing it doesn’t handle very well is throwing. More reports of it breaking from errant throws than anything else. Not a problem for me,

Huh... Well, perhaps I'm mistaken about the throwing part. Just struck me after a toss or two that it was a good implement for chucking at things. I only took a few tosses, so I did not ultimately put the knife in too much jeopardy. Not likely to do any more of that, so no problems I suppose...

I didn’t mean to imply it was fragile, just that when people complain theirs did break the vast majority of the time they happened to be throwing it. Still a low incidence rate overall I would bet. Stick tang knives can be plenty durable for normal use, but knives designed for throwing are made a certain way for a reason.

Back