Ontario Knife Pics!

Simple as mate,just tap the pin out that holds it all together,then wiggle it off.
These are easy to do as the pin goes right through and can be seen from both sides,as per milspecs.
The KA-BAR knives have a "blind pin",which only goes in from one side to just through the tang.
These are a little harder to remove,but can be done.

55OrgA.jpg

New to the forum but here is my first RAT 1 ever purchased (returned the RAT 2 as it felt too “small”)... Flicked it open for a few hours fell in love. I decided I’m going to order a RAT 1 D2 today so I had my first “attempt” with acid washing then stone tumbling my brand new baby. Turned out decent IMO, I’m going to drill some holes in the liner locks to lose weight along with sand down the scales where the thumb groove is located. I’m thinking about using my soldering gun to add custom texture to the G10 scales. Lastly, it sounds silly to spend $20-25 on a custom deep carry clip for a $21 knife BUT as many already know this knife feels as solid if not more solid in build quality than many $50-100 knives...

I’ll upload pics when it’s ginished if anyone cares...

pexels-photo-1634055.jpeg

pexels-photo-1634053.jpeg

pexels-photo-1634052.jpeg

pexels-photo-1634054.jpeg

Terrible lighting but you get the point... The little finger knife is “supposedly” made out of AUS-8 where I bought 6 of them on amazon for $00.97 a month or two ago when they are usually $4-7. I HIGHLY doubt it’s truly AUS-8 and the sheath the knife come with is fake leather which the knife falls out of HOWEVER for 97 pennies I threw one in each cars glovebox and carry one in my wallet. I put on a true paracord little tail and thinking about ordering some kydex to experiment with for sheaths. Anyways completely off topic but I thought it turned out great plus for under $1 it is thick metal that hold an edge decently. Purchased as a “novelty” knife initially I actually find myself using the daily. For cutting boxes or opening things the knife fits on your finger like a ring (even my fat fingers) grab one while they are cheap.

Last edited:
I decided not to drill out the liner lock as the amount of weight it would save would be maybe at best .5 ounces but it could alter its structural integrity. I also decided to leave the scales stock for now it’s a blizzard outside and I don’t have the right sand paper. A deep carry pocket clip is on order along with a RAT 1 D2 and a RAT 1 assisted opener... Anyways, I’m not the best at sharpening and this is my first attempt at any knife mods but overall I’m happy with the final results. She is all lubed up with loc tite in every thread while she flicks opening buttery smooth exactly as it did from the box.

20 minutes in acid then neutralized and washed. Didn’t want to use the brand new washer even with towels tapped around the glass jar with ~10 quarter size rocks in water mixed with dish soap. Each peice of metal was “stone tumbled” by itself for 10 minutes each by hand. Next time I’m about to use empty brass casing rather than rocks for a completely different awesome look but first swing again turned out decent.

pexels-photo-1634983.jpeg

pexels-photo-1634981.jpeg

pexels-photo-1634982.jpeg

pexels-photo-1634980.jpeg

Last edited:
I used an extreme amount of Loctite in every threaded piece of the knife which after drying it did not want to “fling” open with a gentle push... Another thing I wished I would have done is used copper for the tumbling rather than rocks. Finally I wanted a blade that “popped” not just a darker matte finish shown in my finished pics above.

Took the knife completely apart this morning and started prepping it for a complete redo... Here it is with somewhat of a copper “look” plus the splatter effect and made the jimping more aggressive.

Here is my second try with the exact same knife pictured above:
pexels-photo-1648991.jpeg

pexels-photo-1649000.jpeg

pexels-photo-1649001.jpeg

pexels-photo-1649009.jpeg

After 3 trips to different Wal-Mart's in my area, at the last one, they had 1 Ontario Rat 1 left, the display model. I took a close look at it, and figured, for a clearance price of $13, I'd take it. I didn't need it, by any means, but I've always wanted to try out an Ontario brand knife, so we will see how she does once I put her to use. So far, very impressed, even if I had paid the full $28 price tag it would have been worth it. At $13 it was a down right steal.

Ontario rat1 by poriggity, on Flickr

Back