Ontario Rat 1 in D2 Steel Edge holding

Thinking of ordering the Rat 1 D2 and the R2D2. Can someone give an opinion on the nylon vs their CF handles?

Oh, and GO TIGERS!!

Last edited:
I've got both and the nylon is the way to go. The nylon has just enough extra grip to make the CF not worth the money.
In fact I ordered a Rat 2 AUS8 in orange just for the orange nylon, so I could swap out the CF.

I'd recommend the nylon. And if you want to get something better, buy aftermarket scales. The cf is not high end stuff it's just a layer of it and it's fairly slick. They are not bad, but I prefer the nylon over it.

I am really impressed by this steel. This knife is my tailgating/game day knife. We are die hard Clemson fans and are always using zip ties and tape and cardboard etc in our tailgating activities. I have cut more zip ties with this than any other blade I use. These are the thick ones holding up banners and tying flag poles to other structure to keep them in place. Boxes, tape, whatever, it gets thrown at it. I got D2 for two reasons, first it was orange, second it's always been regarded as a tough steel, while still remaining semi stainless. Also, my wife sometimes uses it and i never know what she might try.

Ok, so I have taken my Edge Pro to this knife once since I got it. FWIW I put a mirror edge at .xx micron blah blah blah, when I got it. Once in the past year I have sharpened it. I cut a LOT of zip ties today when we were taking down all the Clemson banners and flags. I thought for sure I was going to need to at least touch it up. NOPE! It's still hair popping sharp. I was pretty amazed. I have had knives in a lot of steels, M4, S110v, CPM154, s90v, XHP, etc. S110v and s90v i would be a little afraid to use as "hard" as I do with the RAT because sometimes there is something metal behind the zip ties I cut. M4 is a great, but it's also a bit harder to maintain with the humidity and sweat when partying outdoors.

I am really impressed. I had a CPM154 Leek I was using yesterday doing similar work around the house. I was assmebling an outdoor Rattan Tiki Bar and there was a lot of cuting of light materials and some Rattan to make it all pretty. My leek needs to be sharpened. It's still sharp but not like it was. I've used S30v in this fashion and VG10 etc. The Ontario D10 outshines them all in these conditions. I think S110v of S90V would be up to the task in edge retention, I would fear the toughness would not be where I would feel comfortable. At any rate I just wanted to say Kudos to Ontario, you did well with this one. I am going to get a Rat 2 in D2 when it comes out. It's the best budget folder period. I have had the Spyderco Tenacious line, the Cat, Boker, and Byrd knives, as well as Cold Steel in Aus 8 and others I cant remember. I have to say none at this price point hold a candle to my RAT. Aus 8 is an ok steel and easy to sharpen, but for the slight price bump the D2 takes it to a different place. It's also very comfortable to use and hold, etc... no hot spots or use issues. I trust the lock. It's smooth to open and is just overall a pleasure to use.

Sorry for the long post but I was so impressed with the knife and steel after using it for a year or so I just felt I needed to tell this to everyone. Again, well done Ontario. Thank you for this fantastic knife. It will always be in my collection.

I did replace the clip with a purple anodized titanium one to go with the Solid Orange :)

Nice avatar from a fellow Tiger fan.

Been looking at a D2 Rat 2 myself for EDC. You may have pushed me over the edge.

Thinking of ordering the Rat 1 D2 and the R2D2. Can someone give an opinion on the nylon vs their CF handles?

Oh, and GO TIGERS!!

I had the same question.

The nylon is plenty grippy but not pocket eating. I have no experience with their CF over G10

My Rat 2 came in Monday.

So far I really like it. I went with the G10 (plastic) side scales and black coated D2 blade. The side scales seem grippy enough and it has steel liners that actually take any side load (twisting, bending, etc). So the plastic is there for grippiness mainly.

And this thing is sharp as a razor!

I will be looking at more freakin knives to purchase thanks to you lot!!

Lol of course. I don’t need arm twisting i’m easy!

I will be looking at more freakin knives to purchase thanks to you lot!!

Lol of course. I don’t need arm twisting i’m easy!

The good news on the Ontario is it isn't a very expensive knife.

Honestly the Ontario RAT 1/RAT 2 in D2 is one of - if not the - best deals out there right now.

Is the rat 1 with d2 steel no longer in the 20 range? All I see them for is 40 bucks, looking everywhere! Seems like a knife I really want.

Back