Ontario Sp53 vs Junglas vs

beachmaster

Gold Member
Hey guys, my Sp53 vs the world video is finally up. I compared it head to head to the Esee Junglas, the Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works Bullnoser, and the DoubleStar Blades Fury Crachete.

For being the lightest knife of the group, AND the cheapest knife of the group by a large margin, the Sp53 did GREAT!

Off the top of my head i believe it averaged 13 chops through a 2x4 as opposed to 11 for the Fury, 16 for the Junglas, and 9 for the Bullnoser.

The Junglas was most comfortable without gloves, and the most consistent, the Fury is just a MONSTER, the Bullnoser is , and the Sp53 is just a light weight chopping machine with ideal weight distribution for getting work done.

The SP-53 is a great affordable performing chopper. It would be great if they had it in full tang with a micarta hilt like the RTACII or a larger RAT7? Too bad OKC is sunsetting the SP-53, its a king of the OKC choppers and still high among others and way more affordable.
The 3 Woodsmans I got...kept two gave one to a little brother who uses the 420 HC blade for kitchen and out door stuff have a full tang, I had to athletic tape the handles though, it seems to make the knife more solid feeling, as its the SP-50 profiled blade, it just makes me wish they made more full tang 5160 knives.

The SP-53 is a great affordable performing chopper. It would be great if they had it in full tang with a micarta hilt like the RTACII or a larger RAT7? Too bad OKC is sunsetting the SP-53, its a king of the OKC choppers and still high among others and way more affordable.
The 3 Woodsmans I got...kept two gave one to a little brother who uses the 420 HC blade for kitchen and out door stuff have a full tang, I had to athletic tape the handles though, it seems to make the knife more solid feeling, as its the SP-50 profiled blade, it just makes me wish they made more full tang 5160 knives.

R Roguer If I am reading this right, you are saying the SP-53 is being discontinued?

yes, its being sunseted, got that from the main OKC guy himself here. me I got 4...made sure got the replacements to keep the number up after one after giving sis one. and brother one...
I have one at home, in the car, the old farm stead and one reserve...hmmm maybe I need another for a reserve for the reserve...

This is a huge mistake OKC is getting rid of these line of knives. I am still searching the internet for an sp51. Been scooping up other models from various sites and countries. Just found and purchced the SP17. Cost me a bit but I cant take the money with me when I die.

This is a huge mistake OKC is getting rid of these line of knives. I am still searching the internet for an sp51. Been scooping up other models from various sites and countries. Just found and purchced the SP17. Cost me a bit but I cant take the money with me when I die.

The SP46 would be the only model left in the GEN II series. I suppose it is being phased out as well?

Ill say that i was told recently after stirring the pot a bit over there that after a huge military order they would be bringing back all current production line knives which would seem to include the sp53, but the way that they are handling warranty issues on them would make that seem unlikely.

As far as transitioning to kitchen knives- i think that was a failure. I jumped on their agilete or w/e knives when they came out, and even got my wifes name laser engraved on them, and they straight up suck. Sssoooooo that was prob a flop.

It is the best chopper I have in the short heavy machete category. For light green twiggy thingies that not much happen where I live I use the RTAK II.

Back