Ontario Utilitac OOP?

I was just browsing the Ontario site, checked their catalogue and there was no sign of the Utilitac folders.
Glad I have two on the way, might be worth getting one if you were thinking about them.

I'd like to complete my collection. I have the tanto but not the drop point. I love that tanto. It cuts like a razor. In fact, I cut the side of my trigger finger with it today....

Last edited:
When I got mine, I was so impressed that I picked up a spare soon after. It's more rugged than the RAT 1 and seems to fit my hand even better. As much as I like the RAT 1, I think the Utilitac II is an even better knife.

If you've considered one, I'll also add my recommendation to pick up one or more! Get 'em while you still can! A little over $25 bucks is a nice deal on these knives.

Mine arrived today and I was impressed enough to immediately order a second one with the other handle design. I got the clip point blades. The knife is solid, smooth, comfortable, locks up perfectly and is SHARP! (Very easily shaves hair.) I would say it is definitely a high-value, best bang for the buck kind of deal.

I have no problem with properly heat-treated AUS8, and that's what seems to come from the Taiwan knife makers (The Ontario AUS8 RATs and Cold Steel's AUS8 knives from Taiwan are good examples). I have a suspicion the Utilitac II and RATs might be made in the same factory as the Cold Steel Taiwanese knives... the fit and finish and great quality seem on par.

Last edited:
Here are the two handle styles compared:

7GUERFr.jpg

I prefer the top version just slightly for comfort and operation. It has a larger cut-out to access the liner lock and the shape of the handle seems to fit my XL-size hands a bit better. Unfortunately, I find it very aesthetically challenged... o_O

The top one also appears to be bulkier but it's really not. It's a little wider at the pivot end but thinner throughout and with less of a curve overall. It is just a hair longer. They are very, very close in size.

They both are totally ambidextrous with the pocket clip able to be positioned at either end of either side. Great knives for around $25! :thumbsup:

Back