Open Carry sheathed sword in florida?

this might be against the general mindset around here but whatever.
For the love of god, please do NOT carry around a sword with the intent of actually USING it on someone, even if the intent is self defense.
BECAUSE:
1. if it actually comes to it you'll have a much harder time pleading self-defense after cutting someone down than if you'd been force to pull a knife, or even a gun. a knife is a common tool and using one in self defense is typically a matter of convenience; a gun is a common item for that task and people accept that, but outside of a few very specific situations a sword worn in public has no purpose other than as a weapon, and it makes it seem like you were looking for trouble.
2. swords and those who own them do NOT need that kind of publicity. it's enough of a niche hobby already without people wearing them around town as weapons.

it really is a case of "just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD."

Last edited:
this might be against the general mindset around here but whatever.
For the love of god, please do NOT carry around a sword with the intent of actually USING it on someone, even if the intent is self defense.
BECAUSE:
1. if it actually comes to it you'll have a much harder time pleading self-defense after cutting someone down than if you'd been force to pull a knife, or even a gun. a knife is a common tool and using one in self defense is typically a matter of convenience; a gun is a common item for that task and people accept that, but outside of a few very specific situations a sword worn in public has no purpose other than as a weapon, and it makes it seem like you were looking for trouble.
2. swords and those who own them do NOT need that kind of publicity. it's enough of a niche hobby already without people wearing them around town as weapons.
3. unless you know what you're doing, you'll more likely hurt yourself than your attacker. fighting with a sword is very different than playing with one.

it really is a case of "just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD."

i always love to read stuff like this. ya know, it's one thing to stress the importance of training (really hard to agrue with that), but outrageous statements like this are really inaccurate and sound like something the anti-gunners would say "a gun in the home is more likely to kill the home owner blah blah".

stop and think, for just a second about the bolded part, then answer me honestly - a TOTALLY UNTRAINED man is going to attack you, would you rather him be unarmed, or have a sword? i mean - if he's attacking you with the sword, he's more likely to just hurt himself, than you, right?

how much training did the John Hopkins student have when he killed the burglar in his garage? i'm asking cuz i don't really know, but i can take a pretty good gues he didn't train JSA for years an years. believe it or not, primates have a pretty good instinct when it comes to swinging things :)

you're probably right on that one, and frankly i wasn't sure about saying it myself either. in fact i'll remove it from my post.
now how about the other two reasons, which are more valid and to the point?

you're probably right on that one, and frankly i wasn't sure about saying it myself either. in fact i'll remove it from my post.
now how about the other two reasons, which are more valid and to the point?

i'm with ya, on the 1st one. i'd MUCH RATHER explain why i used DF with an item other than a sword. defendants are judged by juries, juries are made up of humans, humans have emotions, emotions can be manipulated. it doesn't take much of an attorney to trick people into believing that a person carrying a sword was atleast partially responsible for the altercation as he obviously planned on being in one. however, if the OP wants to brave the legal perils that await him, i support his right to do so.

i'm not a fan of the other point, though. i feel everyone should exercise their rights, how they see fit, without worrying about how much attention it means for someone unrelated to their situation. the fact the the unrelated person enjoys the same hobby doesn't give them the right to choose how the other person does so. i dunno, it feels like saying: i like guns, i collect them, but i wish people would stop carrying them around because, if they don't, then there might be laws passed against me owning them.

can you see what i'm saying?

Honestly there is a difference between being technically legally able to do something and whether or not that thing is a good idea. I have the right of free speech so I could legally call every cop I see a pig and flick them off and not be in any legal trouble. However, there is nothing from stopping that same cop from givinng me a hard time or making sure to write my ticket the next time he pulls me over.

You could legally carry a sword on public property but I'm guessing that you aren't on public property the whole time. You could get in trouble if you carry a sword onto a publicc property.

But most important, a sword is a pretty terrible self-defense weapon, you would have to know how to wield it first of all. Also if you are so intent on carrying a potent industrial strength go for some of the higher tech nlades that are actually deesigned to be weapons. Why don't you get an out-the-front knife, a balisong (butterfly) knife, or automatic switch blade. Those would be much more effective and while you will probobly get glares for openly carrying such a potent knife they won't be anything more than glares. They will probobly see the knife look at you funny and then go back to their buisness.

Hower, a sword is just asking for trouble without any real benefit besides looking really cool and intimidating.

Edit: I'm not trying to say that a sword wouldn't make a good self defense weapon I'm just saying that even with the training to know how to use a sword I really doubt it would be that much more effective than let's say a 400 benchmade otf or even a normal large pocketknife.

I really doubt that having a sword will cause that much different of an outcome in a confrontation than my 4 1/2 inch spyderco police which is legally concealable and is just a manual folder.

I think about the only thing that will trump both of those is a gun and in that case I dont think the length. Of tue blade will make a huge difference

Last edited:
i'm with ya, on the 1st one. i'd MUCH RATHER explain why i used DF with an item other than a sword. defendants are judged by juries, juries are made up of humans, humans have emotions, emotions can be manipulated. it doesn't take much of an attorney to trick people into believing that a person carrying a sword was atleast partially responsible for the altercation as he obviously planned on being in one. however, if the OP wants to brave the legal perils that await him, i support his right to do so.

i'm not a fan of the other point, though. i feel everyone should exercise their rights, how they see fit, without worrying about how much attention it means for someone unrelated to their situation. the fact the the unrelated person enjoys the same hobby doesn't give them the right to choose how the other person does so. i dunno, it feels like saying: i like guns, i collect them, but i wish people would stop carrying them around because, if they don't, then there might be laws passed against me owning them.

can you see what i'm saying?

i see what you're saying, an i agree for the most part. it's just that the sword hasn't been made as a weapon in the western world for over a century; today it's a ceremonial/collectible item that happens to have lethal potential. it's like a flintlock; it's still just as dangerous, but you don't generally buy one with the intent of carrying it around town for self-defense.

i see what you're saying, an i agree for the most part. it's just that the sword hasn't been made as a weapon in the western world for over a century; today it's a ceremonial/collectible item that happens to have lethal potential. it's like a flintlock; it's still just as dangerous, but you don't generally buy one with the intent of carrying it around town for self-defense.

but, don't ya really wish we all DID still carry 'em? i know one or two guys getting themselves into hot water with some over-zealous LEO is not going to cause a huge social/cultural shift :( but it would be great if it just snowballed and more and more people started doin it until we actually rolled the clock back a couple hundy, wouldn't it? :D

i believe florida statute 790 clearly states "ordinary pocket knife". however when hunting. fishing camping. its a whole new ballgame.why would you carry a sword?. in the swamps in western broward i used a many machete . but a sword?....non sense.

joey

A walking stick may cause less issues and end up being more effective. Carry a large fixed blade and test the "waters" before stepping up to a sword. I walk around my neighborhood with a Himalayan Imports M43 Khukuri (18" & 2 pounds of razor blade) Mexican carry in the small of my back cops don't even bat an eye. I'd love to go to the mall with it:eek: but probably not a good idea.
I think Florida law still reads that you can have a handgun while fishing (gator protection) so I'd carry a pistol and a fishing pole and be "to the letter of the law" legal. Try this http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/in...String=&URL=Ch0790/Sec25.htm&StatuteYear=2005 back then I was more worried about stepping on a mama gator then 2 legged critters but had considered it for "bending" the carry law when I kept a fishing pole with me 90% of the time. I hold a BA from UCF Orlando:D

To the OP at 18 you can legally own a pistol you just can't buy one. A parent or family member can "gift" one to you.

Last edited:
i believe florida statute 790 clearly states "ordinary pocket knife". however when hunting. fishing camping. its a whole new ballgame.why would you carry a sword?. in the swamps in western broward i used a many machete . but a sword?....non sense.

joey

YES, per statutory definition - ANY knife other than a common pocket knife (or plastic knife, if they haven't changed that) IS a weapon. however, there is NO statute against openly carrying a nonfirearm weapon. you can run around with a sword on your back, nunchaku in a shoulder rig, and shurikens attached to every inch of your belt. you have not broken any STATE laws (local stuff might apply), but you might get baker acted before it's all over with :D

i OC a FB with a 7" blade. the sheath is an inch too long (i haven't made my own yet), so the whole thing looks longer than it really is.

PLEASE OPENLY CARRY FIXED BLADES IN FLORIDA. the more of us doing this, the more people will start to understand that having a knife does NOT mean you are a psycho looking for your next murder vic, maybe you're just an off duty cop trying to buy a happy meal for his 4th grade son :)

if asked by LEO "why do you have that knife?", look at the cop like you're confused why he doesn't understand and tell him "i use it to cut things"

YES, per statutory definition - ANY knife other than a common pocket knife (or plastic knife, if they haven't changed that) IS a weapon. however, there is NO statute against openly carrying a nonfirearm weapon. you can run around with a sword on your back, nunchaku in a shoulder rig, and shurikens attached to every inch of your belt. you have not broken any STATE laws (local stuff might apply), but you might get baker acted before it's all over with :D

i OC a FB with a 7" blade. the sheath is an inch too long (i haven't made my own yet), so the whole thing looks longer than it really is.

PLEASE OPENLY CARRY FIXED BLADES IN FLORIDA. the more of us doing this, the more people will start to understand that having a knife does NOT mean you are a psycho looking for your next murder vic, maybe you're just an off duty cop trying to buy a happy meal for his 4th grade son :)

if asked by LEO "why do you have that knife?", look at the cop like you're confused why he doesn't understand and tell him "i use it to cut things"

me a law man........hee hee nope . but i have visited central lockup in miami . non knife related charge:barf: but i got out of it.....lawman now thats real silly..........but you can buy blackpowder gun cash and carry

Last edited:
I'm in CA where open carry is mandatory. I try to OC a fixed blade as often as possible. I own a Reese Weiland Ti very tactical (read weapon) looking that is 1' overall with a 6" blade. The other fixed blade is Sam Stoner 5160 hunter with African Blackwood and brass guard. It is only slightly smaller but looks traditional (read camping, hunting, or work). I've never had any problems carrying either. Keep in mind I'm covered with tattoos. I carry openly because I can (for now) and rights tend to atrophy if they are not regularly exercised.

Unless you are dressed in period clothing, I'd personally refrain from girding up with a bastard sword or rapier.

This is an old thread, but with Gasparilla (the local pirate festival) coming up in the Tampa area, my cutlass has been telling me it wants to go for a stroll and a bit of non-intoxicated wenching.

Assuming the blade stayed sheathed and I was dressed as a goofy assed pirate buffoon and being friendly, is there any reason I couldn't go about peacefully with it on me hip?

This is an old thread, but with Gasparilla (the local pirate festival) coming up in the Tampa area, my cutlass has been telling me it wants to go for a stroll and a bit of non-intoxicated wenching.

Assuming the blade stayed sheathed and I was dressed as a goofy assed pirate buffoon and being friendly, is there any reason I couldn't go about peacefully with it on me hip?

So I know this post is old and hate rezzing threads, and hope it went well at gasparilla. But you'd likely be fine in FL at a period festival as long as you dont brandish it. At renfest I have carried many a sword with zero issues.

I signed up to BF to add some info specific to Florida. I have lived in Broward and Palm Beach County for 20+ years. Id say about 50% of the time I usually carry a Laredo Bowie on my side. Sometimes I carry a 14" Kukri horizontally across my belt on my back. And the rest of the time I have a Microtech Makora in a belt clip. All open carry.

At Subway restaurant I was once questioned by LEO about the Kukri. They asked for ID, I handed my DL and CCW and it was over in a minute. Im also very friendly, approachable and non combative which helps.

Now I also took my 24" Scottishdirk out 4 times....all four times were an issue. I was detained and publix and walgreens, the other two times I was questioned by walmart and mall parking lot security but let go pretty easily.. No real issue, but it took about 30min for the 2x LEO stops to run my ID and hold me despite no crime being committed. Its funny as the Bowie is never questioned but the dirk draws tons of attention.

The interesting thing about being detained. I had a concealed glock on me everyday, which never came up (and by Florida law doesnt need to be disclosed unless asked). I have CCW so it wasnt an issue anyway, but the dirk is what scared them amd all theu focused on.

So in my opinion. Larger daggers/swords draw attention in places that arent period festivals (renfest, howl at the moon, halloween, gasparilla are fine) Knives...even big ones like my bowie and kukri dont seem to cause much excitement and Im in North Lauderdale and Boca...not the sticks, but a 24" dirk has been a problem everytime.

PS every LEO and security guard has been cool and really just doing their job, but I was cool with them and complied and was deliberate and slow in movement.

Your mileage may vary.

Back