Open carry

So i have 2 questions which i hope are simple ones in this forum. I own many of knives and carry a pocket clip on most of the time (clip showing). The clip showing then in turn makes it open carry not concealed is that correct?
2nd question is about open carry. I own quit a few buck knived. Is it legal to carry a buck knife on your belt openly of any length in ohio?

I couldn't tell you about Ohio laws, but the one thing I do know is every state is different. In Pa I don't believe the clip showing is considered open carry, but in New York it is. If Ohio is like Pennsylvania you can carry a knife on your belt and shouldn't get a second glance, unless it's some 15 inch monster of a fixed blade, that may get some attention.

The way I see it is if you act normal and don't cause a big commotion you can carry just about anything and be fine.

Again though, I'm a Pennsylvaniaian(rural at that), so I'm just speaking from my experience(i.e. don't trust me, haha).

I pulled this right from KnifeUp's website:

Ohio law does not restrict the concealed carry of any specific knife except for what it calls a “dangerous ordnance” which includes ballistic knives. The concealed carry statute simply makes it illegal to conceal carry any deadly weapon. The Ohio Supreme Court said in State v. Anderson, that to convict a defendant of carrying a concealed deadly weapon, the state must prove that the instrument is capable of inflicting death and that it is either designed or adapted for use as a weapon or that it is being carried as a weapon. Some knives that are very likely to be found to deadly weapons, and therefore illegal to conceal carry include:

• Dirks, daggers, or other stabbing knives
  • Switchblades
  • Balisong, or butterfly knives
  • Gravity knives
  • Stilettos
The law does restrict both open and conceal carry of any dangerous weapon in a school zone or a Courthouse, but you may open carry any type of knife on your person or in your vehicle.

Ohio law allows for the ownership and open carry of any type of knife.

Hopefully this helps.

Although the above may be state law all the police might not know it so be careful and if questioned be polite.

I'm in Ohio and have had a *few* runs ins with cops [to say the least lol]...

I've NEVER had a single issue carrying large fixed blades (>8" blade length), now first let me state I'm NOT CLAIMING it's law (which to my understand the above is correct) but folders are what several different officers have warned me about "concealing" (though nothing ever came of anything).

Again numerous police contacts with a large open carried fixed blade = nothing

Contact with officers with folders = officers warm me other officers may have a problem with it (but they didn't personally care)

The important thing for Ohio and knife laws is that the knife you are carrying is used as a tool and never for protection.

Ohio allows the open carry of any knife, provided its used as a tool and not a weapon. Where it gets unreasonable is that every locality can have its own laws regarding knives. There is no state preemption law for knives as there is for firearms. So basically unless you can memorize every knife law in every city or town you frequent, your gambling. That said I've never had a single issue with any knife I've carried. And I carry a knife daily. But there's always that one time.

So i have 2 questions which i hope are simple ones in this forum. I own many of knives and carry a pocket clip on most of the time (clip showing). The clip showing then in turn makes it open carry not concealed is that correct?
2nd question is about open carry. I own quit a few buck knived. Is it legal to carry a buck knife on your belt openly of any length in ohio?
no not in nyc as a matter of fact they look for that clip and will take you to central booking , they are afraid b/c some people are so fast with them a nut can pull it and stab a cop within a fraction of a second . i was at a blade show in nyc and in the spyderco section this guy would ask to see a knife clip it in his pocket and wanted to see how fast he can pull and flip open in and mostly offensive way to me and yes he was fast, the sales girl was so stupid she stood right in front of this guy as though it couldn't fly out of hand thus hitting girl in stomach and i told her that but the rest is up to her.i carry small 3 inch non folder unconcealed in small leather sheath and made it easy to see and was never bothered, but who wants to walk around in the summer with a knife everyone can see, in ohio you can get a gun permit but no knife permit. the oldest most important survival tool is going to be out lawed as far as folders that come out easy they made name called( Gravity Knives) what bs.

I couldn't tell you about Ohio laws, but the one thing I do know is every state is different. In Pa I don't believe the clip showing is considered open carry, but in New York it is. If Ohio is like Pennsylvania you can carry a knife on your belt and shouldn't get a second glance, unless it's some 15 inch monster of a fixed blade, that may get some attention.

The way I see it is if you act normal and don't cause a big commotion you can carry just about anything and be fine.

Again though, I'm a Pennsylvaniaian(rural at that), so I'm just speaking from my experience(i.e. don't trust me, haha).
sorry a clipped knife that opens fast is so illegal i have many friends brought to central booking for the whole day and at times kept over night, they dont want conceal so i carry my fixed small 3 inch custom knife in leather open and so far no problems with transit police, yet, anyway. or carry something like a good spyderco but in open snape sheath, these laws seem to change everyday it makes me sick

I also live in Ohio and am very curious about your first point. I can't find anything definitive about if a pocket clip means open carry...however, let me throw this out there.

If a cop asked me why I was carrying a knife, I would say it is for utility purposes...opening a box or cutting a sandwich. I would say my CCW is for self defense with a handgun if I feel I need it.

If he said it was illegal to have it "concealed", I would argue that it wasn't concealed or how did they see it?

My 2 cents on a confusing topic

Back