Opening mail with larger folders

I realized opening mail properly with a 4"+ folder is difficult. Compared to a 2.5" folder for instance. It just won't fit. I only wanted to carry one knife. Does anyone have any trick for this? Thank you

1. Practice.

2. Carry one knife and use finger or key to open envelopes.

3. Carry 2 knives.

4. Go paperless.

;)

Also, I've seen countless dedicated letter openers with blades longer than 4 inches. A 4+ inch knife blade should work.

How much mail do you open that you need to base your knife carry on it? I would love to see the Venn Diagram of the lifestyle that requires a 4+" blade for day to day activity where opening envelopes must also be factored in :D

In all seriousness, I open my mail with a large knife often. I just slice it along one of the short edges being careful not to nick anything inside.

Seems like a perfect job for a Ti-lite;)

View attachment 1476154

A man after my own heart.

Also good for skewering meat off a barbecue grill.:thumbsup:

bl5MTv2.jpg

I keep my clip point XL Voyager hair-shaving sharp most of the time, so the point easily unzips mail. When it's not that sharp, it tends to snag and tear. So I recommend keeping the biggies sharp.

All nice ideas! What I did not mention is my current EDC custom has serious belly. It just won't fit in. I have to mangle the envelope. I mean really it is for more robust tasks. I just hate redundancy. The biggest joke(or not) is I go to Chicago. I have concealed carry though in Illinois. I am pretty sure that includes knives.

I used a 10" Bowie for a letter opener...
I'll go back to the 4" OTF when I find where it's hiding.
It disappeared off the dining room table when my wife decorated the table for Thanksgiving. :(

I realized opening mail properly with a 4"+ folder is difficult. Compared to a 2.5" folder for instance. It just won't fit. I only wanted to carry one knife. Does anyone have any trick for this? Thank you

Get a knife with a narrower, spine to cutting edge, blade.

O.B.

You will never learn how to handle all knives by restricting yourself. In the long run you should be able to use almost any size knife for any task. Switch out your EDC every day until you get to the point that the knife you pull out is a surprise. Best way to learn how to use all knives for all things.

Envelopes? What are those? I’m still trying to figure out size of blade to open my emails with...nothings working.

...Seems a very odd question, wouldn't think it would be an issue.
A slender blade that resembles a letter opener seems about right...
Just the tip?
Lol...Yes !!
QUOTE="Hal, post: 20211477, member: 105777"]I used a 10" Bowie for a letter opener...
I'll go back to the 4" OTF when I find where it's hiding.
It disappeared off the dining room table when my wife decorated the table for Thanksgiving. :(
[/QUOTE]
-Better check the wife's purse, Lol !!
B.T.B. :cool:

Reactions: Hal
Back