Opinel new lock ring question

So I haven't found much online and was wondering if someone here might be able to help me out. The newer design for the opinel virobloc ring (with the rivet that lets it turn only a certain distance now and only turn one way) is loose on my opinel no. 6. I've seen videos online of how to tighten it on the old design, via removing the ring with snapring pliers and squeezing it tighter with pliers, but removing it with snaprings seems more difficult on the new design. Any suggestions? I don't really want to mess up the knife

I think I have the newer version that you're describing and snap ring pliers do still work well for removing the collar.

I think I have the newer version that you're describing and snap ring pliers do still work well for removing the collar.
Ok cool, I just started to try them and they seemed a little more resistant so I didn't want to make anything worse.

Another simpler, and potentially treacherous, method is to twist the locking ring to the "halfway locked" position with the blade folded into the handle. Then pull the blade open until it pops the ring off. Be forewarned:
(i) the blade will want to snap shut so keep your digits clear of the edge;
(ii) the ring could pop off and fling across the room, though I have not had this happen with the new models (I recommend covering your hands & knife with a towel to catch the ring just in case); and
(iii) you will hear a loud *SNAP* when the ring finally comes off, making you think you've broken something (I've done this at least a dozen times without a breakage but I suppose damage is always possible).

Just squeeze the ring until it tightens up and pop it back into place. Try using the snapring pliers if you are uncomfortable with my procedure - I have not tried this method so I really cannot say which is better.

I just wish they'd respond to my request for a lock ring for my saw

Back