1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Opinel, new ring, with problems, so better buy a few of the old ones, if you can still find them.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jacktrades_nbk, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    One is too many. A dozen is not enough.

The Zieg likes this.
  2. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Just took the time to read through this whole thread. My summary:

1. The OP video shows a new locking ring that is too loose and can be rotated open by downward pressure on the spine. The lock therefore doesn’t work.
    2. Someone else encountered a similar issue, indicating it wasn’t a one-off
    3. Lots of opinel fans started posting about peening pins and dremel work and popping off collars and that sort of nerdy knife modding stuff.
    4. Other people have reported their new opinel locks work just fine, as intended.
    My new #8 works just fine too. I like it.

My theory is that early versions of the new design were not manufactured properly, possibly due to the new design of the collar being smoother to rotate than the old version, and this has been corrected.

[​IMG]

CVamberbonehead, zolthar and The Zieg like this.
  3. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    I bought a couple of the new ones in different sized to see and found no real problems.

4. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    I have new one, and its fine.