1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Opinel number 8

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by [email protected], Mar 30, 2002.

1. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Pretty sure it’s a Svord Peasant.

2. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    Yep. Svord Peasant.

Pilsner likes this.
  3. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    I have a pair of jeans with zipper issues(need needle nose pliers to close them) and they are my favorite pair.

4. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Opinel are great knifes.

5. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Seems like a great "lunchbox knife".

dc50 likes this.
  6. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    They can’t handle zucchini, or so I have heard. Mind you, I believe I have successfully tackled a courgette with an Opinel and lived to tell the tale. I had to beat it first with a billiard ball stuffed in a sock, in order to subdue it first. They bite, you know. ;)

DB_Cruiser and Armadew like this.
  7. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Now THERE'S a fancy term for zucchini. :eek: I find an Opinel slices them up easily, just like like..ummmm...zucchini. :p

CVamberbonehead and Pilsner like this.
  8. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Super Slicer!

9. upnorth

upnorth Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Pretty much. I can see the attraction, as they do have some positive attributes. But they are borderline wimpy and a SAK takes up as much space in pocket. I have a couple of 7 or 8's. Black as midnight from use and neglect, one with a broken off tip. I have an INOX 12 also. A big bugger that I'm not quite sure what to do with, and again there's that thin blade stock. Maybe bring it along for wild mushroom harvesting ?, it's redundantly over large even for that. I bought it basically as a novelty and curiosity.

10. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    #12 is a Massad favorite tool!

jstrange likes this.
  11. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    I find the No 12 has some decent thickness to it. I also have a No 7 in great shape that is over 50 years old. It probably wasn't used to change a tire or anything, but they hold up just fine when used as a knife is supposed to be used. If you need a crowbar with an edge, these are not the tools you're looking for.

GABaus likes this.
  12. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Interesting. Can you expand on that?

13. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    I read several story's about them using them back in the 1970-80s to take out some of the Munich boys!

14. sgt244

sgt244 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2010
    #8 has been my go-to for my food knife in the kitchen and at work! #7 has worked well in a pinch as well however I much prefer the #8!

15. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Just got my first #8 carbon blade at A nearby gun show last weekend, it and my #8 garden knife feel so light and yet so handy.

GABaus likes this.
  16. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Solid knife with a ton of history!

17. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    So I have had a 12, 10, 9, and and 8. I still have a few of those and have liked them all for different reasons. I just picked up a 7 at a local hardware store, which I thought was pretty neat, and I think it may be my favorite. I used to avoid smaller blades like the plague, but I have found 2.5 to 3 to be a nice size lately.

DB_Cruiser and GABaus like this.