Opinel number 8

Half or full I would rather not be caught with junk falling out and my knife stuck closed. Even if that singular experience could be had for free.
That's just me. YMMV

I have a pair of jeans with zipper issues(need needle nose pliers to close them) and they are my favorite pair.

Seems like a great "lunchbox knife".
They can’t handle zucchini, or so I have heard. Mind you, I believe I have successfully tackled a courgette with an Opinel and lived to tell the tale. I had to beat it first with a billiard ball stuffed in a sock, in order to subdue it first. They bite, you know. ;)

Seems like a great "lunchbox knife".

Pretty much. I can see the attraction, as they do have some positive attributes. But they are borderline wimpy and a SAK takes up as much space in pocket. I have a couple of 7 or 8's. Black as midnight from use and neglect, one with a broken off tip. I have an INOX 12 also. A big bugger that I'm not quite sure what to do with, and again there's that thin blade stock. Maybe bring it along for wild mushroom harvesting ?, it's redundantly over large even for that. I bought it basically as a novelty and curiosity.

I find the No 12 has some decent thickness to it. I also have a No 7 in great shape that is over 50 years old. It probably wasn't used to change a tire or anything, but they hold up just fine when used as a knife is supposed to be used. If you need a crowbar with an edge, these are not the tools you're looking for.

#8 has been my go-to for my food knife in the kitchen and at work! #7 has worked well in a pinch as well however I much prefer the #8!

Just got my first #8 carbon blade at A nearby gun show last weekend, it and my #8 garden knife feel so light and yet so handy.

So I have had a 12, 10, 9, and and 8. I still have a few of those and have liked them all for different reasons. I just picked up a 7 at a local hardware store, which I thought was pretty neat, and I think it may be my favorite. I used to avoid smaller blades like the plague, but I have found 2.5 to 3 to be a nice size lately.

Back