Opinel Opinions?

Sword and Shield said:
I've beaten the heck out of my carbon 6, and haven't seen any of the types of damage you're saying. Even with a thin flat grind- down in the low 20s/high teens- the edge still stands up.

I'm glad for you, and I'm not being sarcastic. I really had some high expectations and was very disappointed. I'm wondering if perhaps a good convex grind would help. The geometry on them is very good. I wonder if you could get one in 1095 and harden it to 65 HRC or so, now that would be a great cutter...

@ Sodak
I think you just got bad luck with yours, or you've been expecting too much from a knife that even knifenuts are praising. But don't forget.. at the end it's just a 6-8$... or a few cans of beer - don't expect something too fancy

I certainly trust the mounds and mounds of evidence that Opinels are great knives for the money. And if I ever lose all my knives and simultaneously get so broke that I only have $8 to spend on a knife, I just may buy one (although, truth be told, I'd probably go and sell a pint of blood or whatever to upgrade to low-end Victorinox SAK like this or this).

Until that happens, I "get by" with my humble stable of knives from Buck, Victorinox, Spyderco, Case, Schrade, etc. If a penny saved is a penny earned, I earn 8 bucks everytime I don't buy an Opinel.

I had some opinels, it's great knife for custom fun.
But if i have the choice, I always choose my Doukdouk as EDC
If you have'nt got one, you should try ...
Why?
More or less, same quality blade (same carbon steel)
The opinel is more ergonomic and has a lock so....:confused:
Doudouk is so thin and light, and razor sharp, that 's a pleasure to carry it!
If you like Opinel, you definitively should try Doukdouk

I really would like to try a DoukDouk, on my next trip to france I'll get one :)
Instead of a DoukDouk I often carry a Marcator, really similar to the DoukDouk, mayme no at scary sharp due to bladegeometrics, but a good backlock at less than 10€.

Hi surfer,
as far as i remember, you live in Spain, don't you?
(or I mix with somebody else?)
It should'nt take long for you to pay us a visit (or there are website that might deliver it in Spain, but it's much more expensive)

Hi Freddy!
Yes, I live in Spain, but I'll go to france soon I think, prefer to combine the shoping with a nice visit :)
I just love your country!!!
saludos
Surfer

I bought the big (5" blade) Twistmaster opinel from Cold Steel, and it's the best of both worlds. Classic design, modern materials, and not much money. It's a great camp/utility knife.

Mikey

Has anyone attached a simple clip to an Opinel. I recall someone trying to fit a Maglite clip around the locking collar.

I bought the big (5" blade) Twistmaster opinel from Cold Steel, and it's the best of both worlds. Classic design, modern materials, and not much money. It's a great camp/utility knife.

Here I am searching and searching for the "how I soaked my wooden Opinel is a beaker of gick until the the cows came home " thread. Until my typing fingers are bruised and bleedin' and Cold Steel has actually solved the problem and gave the poor little slick wooden handle some traction . . .
and
. . . no body has ever told me about this ? ? ! ! ! !

What a revoltin' development !
and then
AND THEN they stopped making 'em.
I'm deeeeeeeepressed.

Here I am searching and searching for the "how I soaked my wooden Opinel is a beaker of gick until the the cows came home " thread. Until my typing fingers are bruised and bleedin' and Cold Steel has actually solved the problem and gave the poor little slick wooden handle some traction . . .
and

and then
I'm deeeeeeeepressed.

The outdoor series from Opinel has synthetic handles. The big one is too modern for this section of the forums but the junior outdoor version is very traditional. It also looks handy for adults as well as little ones. I've thought about picking one up.

Also, Nontron solved the problem of the handles swelling by putting a thin piece of synthetic between the blade and handle. It works great. You can see the installation of the synthetic in this video starting at 4:44.

If you are handy, you could probably modify an opinel the same way.

and

and then
I'm deeeeeeeepressed.
Well ... Opinel does make a model now with some sort of high end "plastic" handle now. I know they have it in size 8, not sure if it comes in a 7 or 9 though. Unfortunately, they saw fit to only offer it with the Inox blade.
EDIT: DaRn! Supra beat me to it.

I want one of these. I don't need the whistle but I like the rest. Blade shape reminds me of old picnic knives. I'd probably modify it to a point though.

outdoor_ndeg07_rouge.jpg

If I could have but one knife, it would be my Opi 10 SS. It's so versatile.

Thanks Jack @jackknife for the tip. I've had the swelling occur a time or two.

Have lots of Opinels, love them all (well, the N°12 is a bit much for a folder of its style), and carried a N°6 inox olive today. The N°10 carbone is my go-to Opinel usually, though. I treat them pretty rough and they hold up. I whittled a 2x6 down to small kindling for a campfire with a N°9 a couple years back. Didn't yet "K(I'll) a b(e)ar" wit one, tho. ;)

Zieg

ETA: Wow, necro thread!

I have a few Opinels and find them to be a very interesting knife. The many varieties of sizes, woods and some plastic makes it possible to find one you will like. This thread needs a few pictures so let me show a few.

tQx9XAQ.jpg

CJnIHGD.jpg

8VuGjkm.jpg

Necro indeed, but my oldest Opinel is at least 25 years older than this thread. There must be nine or ten on my shelf, plus the No.6 in my pocket. Yes, I like them.

Back