Opinion on the Cold Steel Spartan

7TytQG1.jpg

I wish I was a picture taker as I have a Spartan as well, pretty nice blade. It's a little stiffer than some of my other CS blades but it's getting better. I probably really need to take it apart and see what the grittyness is coming out of the handle for about the first inch. You can actually feel it going click click click as you pull it open a little. It's nothing serious just a part that probably isn't quite as smooth as the others I have. I gotta say my AD10 is the slickest knife I have as far as action on a Triad lock goes, at least with the factory knives I have. The Spartan is a nice knife altogether though, maybe a longer blade. :thumbsup:

Ive had mine for years and they definitely smooth out over time as mentioned. I put a really thin edge (too thin actually) on mine and it cuts like a laser and still chops well (couldnt help myself). I own the XL Espada and thats just too big IMHO but the Spartan is right on the edge of just too big for the pocket and too thick, though I never feel under-knifed. It is not sheeple friendly.

I've had one (AUS8 version) for about I guess 20 yrs now. I carry it quite often. I prefer bigger knives in general so I dont think anything about it. It's been used hundreds of times for utility and it still locks up like a bank vault. It's a big strong knife. I like it a lot. You can choke up on the blade and do good detail work.

I don't think I full y understand the reason that lies behind the huge folders that Cold Steel makes. Maybe because I am not a big guy with big hands but even if I was, and I was going to carry that much weight with me, I would rather carry a fixed blade in my belt than the equivalent sized folder in the pocket.

Even with the triadlock a folder will never be as reliable as fixed blade and something that big calls (or risks) getting used for tasks a folder shouldn't be used. I am talking about battoning, chopping, etc.

Mikel
XL Knives What's the point

Back