Opinion poll

More durable handle covers?

• Total voters
I know Osage has been, and perhaps still is being used for fence posts in different parts of the US here due to its sheer resistance to the elements. Granted, they might be used in drier climates than I happen to reside in, but I think that its ability to withstand rot and decay is rather remarkable. So definitely a point in its favor when it comes to durability and toughness.

I went with wood because bone tends to crack easier in my experience. This one gets a big what if though depending on the type of wood though!

Wood would be more durable.
Bone comes in a huge array if styles jigging and colouring. So does wood. Some bone is ugly. Most woods have variation but few could be called ugly.
Gaaah i just dunno.
I voted wood but my personal preference is bone out of the two.

I appreciate all the responses. It seems the majority, regardless of aesthetic preference, considers wood the more “durable” of the two. Especially a hard wood like Cocobolo or Ebony. I think I will test that theory over the course of the next few years, starting this morning. :thumbsup:

A very pleasant conversation with a multitude of good responses. Thank you for the education.

Wood is more forgiving, bone is more durable. If you are asking about wear, it is bone. If you are asking about longevity due to being able to drop, etc.; it is wood. You see 100 year old examples of both. If unused for that length of time I find more cracks due to expand/contract cycles on wood.

GEC rarely stabilizes wood as the process is so expensive. Oily woods, such as what GEC generally uses, benefit little from stabilization as it will not uptake the chemicals on the vacuum release.

In my opinion wood is more durable. I recently dropped my 66 ebony off of the roof and it only left small dents in the wood covers from hitting the cement. LOL I still favor bone covers though.

Wood, I have dropped several bone knives and get little nicks in the bottom of them.

I like the way old ebony and rosewood looks as it gets scratched, marked up, and little micro cracks on the surface of it after use.

Each material ages differently, damages differently, wears differently.
Bone is much more likely to chip or crack, wood will dent.
Both can and will shrink causing the fit to change between the scales and the tang for instance. Both bone and wood will shrink early on if fitted when green. Wood can continue to shrink later on if not cared for. Sunlight and arid climates will write its tracks in wood sooner than bone in general.
Each can last well over 100 years. How long were you planning on living and using the knife?

There is no right or wrong answer, at least for bone and wood. Now if you asked about synthetics... It boils down to personal taste and opinion.

For me some knives look great with a bone handle. I have a little RR Barlow knife with bone scales that looks far better than if it was wood. I also have knives I wouldn't dream of having in bone. Wood or stag or I don't get the knife. Most of my hunting knives come to mind. Stag is certainly less likely to slip when covered in game goo during gutting and skinning.

I tend to prefer wood handles, particularly when they have interesting grains or figuring. A burl handle is a nature's art thing of beauty. I have a knife being made now that will have a desert ironwood handle. It should be gorgeous. Both bone and wood can take dyes that will live'n them up and enhance the esthetics. Each can have its slipperiness tamed with texturing by jigging or carving.

Generally, if it is a gorgeous knife it is not likely to get much use from me unless it was inexpensive to begin with. My EDC knives are generally sporting G10, Micarta or other synthetic handles. The prettier ones get put into my pocket only on special occasions. Some wood or bone handled knives I own get use because I am cultivating that used look to them. Lots of examples in the traditional's forum that have gotten better with age and the "character building" the knife has gone through over the years. A knife with a story written into by use and abuse can take on a beauty all its own, regardless of what the handle was made out of.

Of course your mileage may differ. :cool:

Which one holds up better for daily use over time? Which one is more durable, sturdy, and less likely to chip/crack/break? Which one is more valuable thus less likely to be used extensively?
BP, don't mean to be critical, but you are asking two questions in my mind, ie durability and cost. Personally I'd say wood scales edge out:confused: bone in durability. (BTW, your cocobolo 73 GAW is holding up just fine, thank you.:thumbsup:) On the other hand, I suspect that one can find equally expensive exotic woods and bone.

Reactions: BP_
Basically wood. Floors are made of it, try that with bone:eek::D:D

True, wood will absorb impact much better and bone can crack round the pins later on even when not dropped (stress fracture) However, it's not all so clear cut. Wood reacts badly to very dry conditions or very wet ones too, wood left unused can start to misbehave due to this. We've all seen very old Ebony or Coco knives in fine condition but other types of wood or lower quality will not fare so well. I had a Bark River with Bocote handles that warped, peeled away from the pins and looked crap after 2 years of very moderate use. Don't get me started on their 'legendary' warranty either, try that one if you live in Europe.....

I prefer the look of bone more due to its ability to carry off jigging, wood not so much;)

Durability?
Micarta and Delrin.

You gonna show it off, or use it?

He he.
While it doesn't stay in the limits of the OPs options, it is a valid point. Probably hard pressed to do better when going between the warehouse and the farm! Plus, the Case yeller knives are very attractive from a price perspective!

Back