opinions needed

aue123

Gold Member
I recently went to cabelas and asked if they would price match a 940-2 from benchmades website, I didn't tell them that it was veterans pricing, but they did it anyways.

so my question. they didn't have any in stock and offered to sell me the display model for 10% less. total price OTD was around $133. would any of you buy the display model? I figured the worst case, maybe someone accidentally dropped it, otherwise it's just been opened and closed 50 billion times.

Benchmade has a good warranty and will take care of a product problem if needed, so as as long as you get the knifes original box there is nothing to worry about.

If its way cheaper go for it.
You're going to be using it for real anyway!
Besides, wouldn't it still be under warranty?

I recently went to cabelas and asked if they would price match a 940-2 from benchmades website, I didn't tell them that it was veterans pricing, but they did it anyways.

so my question. they didn't have any in stock and offered to sell me the display model for 10% less. total price OTD was around $133. would any of you buy the display model? I figured the worst case, maybe someone accidentally dropped it, otherwise it's just been opened and closed 50 billion times.

Absolutely. There's less risk there than in a "Lnib" sale here on the forums for $30 more.

I buy display case knives all the time. You're not buying a pig in a poke so there won't be a surprise. If someone dropped it then the damage will show.

Even display models have a 30 day return at Cabela's right? I would do it if theres a return period and the warranty is still honored down the line

You have a knife that's already broken in. My 940-2 seems to get better the longer I have it even if I'm not using it much.

BM warranties their knives, no matter where you got them, as long as they are genuine.

aue123.... I was surprised that you were questioned about your "veteran" status..
I would not ordinarily expect anyone, much less a Platinum member, to openly admit
that he had "abused" the veteran discount.
Thank you for your service..
Don...another vet...

^^^Don't know why you are surprised, being a Vietnam combat vet (macVsog) and my wife a Vietnam era USAF medic, I am very disturbed by the many who use "veteran" to gain an advantage :mad: (being a platinum member means nothing, especially a new one o_O) I am glad to hear he is indeed a fellow vet; good on you aue123 :thumbsup:

Last edited:
If the knife was centered & without blade play, major cosmetic damage, etc, sure. Why not?

Wouldn't that be a surprise from even a non display model? :p

But I agree, I don't see a problem with it, there isn't much that can break, if it's visually okay, if it has been opened 5 million times the omega springs break and you get new one's if nothing else is good about Benchmade their customer service gets praise.

don't have to wait for shipping, and the additional 10% off
You didn’t know they would price match the veterans discount. You didn’t know if they had any in stock (which they didn’t), so you wouldn’t have got it any faster than BM would have gotten it to you. You didn’t know you were going to get 10% off for the display model beforehand and you weren’t even sure it was worth the discount to buy a display model.

Still doesn’t make sense to me why you wouldn’t have just bought it direct from BM, but it’s your business, not mine.

You didn’t know they would price match the veterans discount. You didn’t know if they had any in stock (which they didn’t), so you wouldn’t have got it any faster than BM would have gotten it to you. You didn’t know you were going to get 10% off for the display model beforehand and you weren’t even sure it was worth the discount to buy a display model.

Still doesn’t make sense to me why you wouldn’t have just bought it direct from BM, but it’s your business, not mine.

I don't think the issue was if the discount was worth it, so much as just buying a display model in general. all the other finer details is me being a smart shopper, and everything just falling into place. it never hurts to ask

^^^Don't know why you are surprised, being a Vietnam combat vet (macVsog) and my wife a Vietnam era USAF medic, I am very disturbed by the many who use "veteran" to gain an advantage :mad: (being a platinum member means nothing, especially a new one o_O) I am glad to hear he is indeed a fellow vet; good on you aue123 :thumbsup:

My meaning was that I would be a bit surprised if some "faker" would admit it in the midst of our forum...
If so, I'd be among the first to add that person to my "IGNORE" list...
no flames intended...just my opinion...
...and thanx to you and your wife for your service also...

Back