• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Opinions on buying knives through lotteries?

I have personal experience with two of them: Grimsmo and Recon1. I won a Grimsmo Rask (after a couple of years) and a Recon1 CRK/Shirogorov collaboration.

Some of my pro lottery thoughts are:

- I get a chance to purchase a hard-to-get knife. Same chance as everybody else.

- Practical approach for selling rare or one-of-a-kind knives. It is obviously fair, since I was selected.

- Why would a seller cheat potential buyers? If they are fair, they have more potential customers.

Some of my skeptical thoughts about lotteries are:

- Marketing gimmick to enhance the perceived rarity/demand of a knife. And increase the price.

- Favored buyers get selected.

- Sellers want to make it an "event" - to spin up the buyers, inflate the desirability of a knife, and ensure a sale.

What do you think about lotteries?

If they create some interest and excitement: good for them!

I never "win" anything" but even though the odds are against me (hundreds of millions to one), I still buy $100 in lotto tickets whenever the lotto purse hits 9 figures just "in case." LOL! ;)

Last edited:
We wait for 10 figures: it makes our palms sweat just a little bit more...

I think some may be confused about what you're talking about here. Unless I'm misreading the intended sarcasm in the previous comments. Knife makers/dealers who possess knives in high demand will sometimes offer the opportunity to purchase knives via a lottery where one or more winners are selected to win the opportunity to buy. Some do this as an alternative to book spots, and some to create a pool of interest to avoid someone snagging it before anyone else knew they could, and effectively losing potential traffic to their site.

As far as my personal opinion on them I kind of like them. I think it's relatively exciting to get the opportunity to snag something that you otherwise might have to wait years for. I also think it is a relatively good marketing strategy that doesn't really hurt anyone. As far as the ones I've been a part of, they don't just select whoever they want, they actually use a software or old fashion name in a hat selection process.

Too many just as good knives you can purchase now or commission to f around with lotteries.

Agree with RousingRabbles that lotteries don't hurt anyone and it takes very little effort to enter.

I posted this question because I used to be very skeptical, less so now. Always felt like my entry went into a black hole. Enter and forget. I would like to see more info as the lottery progresses. Could be simple, like how many entries as the lottery progresses. Maybe some info on who won it - doesn't have to be a name, just an entry number.

I have the luck of a black cat that just broke a mirror while walking under a ladder.

I absolutely dislike lotteries and I think it's the most terrible way to sell something. For me, it's a scam, but also a brilliant marketing tool.

The thing I like most about lotteries is this: It gives the maker the freedom and creativity to make what they want to.

Generally the work is done well, and most times exceptional, I believe due to them having their artistic freedom.

They showcase the knife and a price, and then it is up to the potential buyers to put their name in or not.

Only downside for me would be a selfish one, I can’t buy it first. Haha.

But ya, lottery for an opportunity to buy doesn’t bother me at all.

They can be a way to have a genuine chance at obtaining a high-in-demand piece. I also think they can be manipulated, so the "Fanboys" have a greater chance. Without name dropping, i think one maker in particular, has had some questionable lotteries over the years.

I think it is a smart marketing gimmick. The maker sells exactly the same number of knives either way, but with the lottery he or she can give more of the market the idea that they have a chance to purchase that hard to get knife. Personally there's no knife being made that I would go through such shenanigans to get. Maybe I am not enough of a knife nut.

If I want something bad enough, I’ll put in for it never really expecting to win on the off chance I do.

Lotteries are what they are, whether you’re talking about knives or money, or even hunts as many states do. I actually won a once in a lifetime Oryx hunt I’d been dreaming about since I was a kid two years ago right after moving to NM. I never in a million years expected that and thought I’d probably never get it.

Bottom line is somebody has to win, but most won’t. . .

If it is the maker type lottery where it costs nothing to get a chance to buy, they can be fun and add some excitement.
but I also believe there are lotteries on some sites where they sell tickets(say $100 each, so many tickets) and the winner gets the knife. I don't favor that type(for me) , since I am not that lucky. Others can do as they wish.
I used to participate in some give aways where the winner was picked at random. When I started loosing with as few as 3 people in, I realized that my chances of winning state and national lotteries were probably not going to happen.

Last edited:
If it is the maker type lottery where it costs nothing to get a chance to buy, they can be fun and add some excitement.
but I also believe there are lotteries on some sites where they sell tickets(say $100 each, so many tickets) and the winner gets the knife. I don't favor that type(for me) , since I am not that lucky. Others can do as they wish.
Those are called Raffles. Where you pay money for a spot to win. 👎🏼 I’m in agreement.

I guess I'd rather try a Lottery than deal with a "Drop" at 5pm. Life's too short and there's lots of other knives to become fanatical about 1 maker.

Was that hunt what you dreamed it would be?
Not exactly but almost For the following reason: They don’t let you scout or prep for it beforehand, so if you’re not familiar with the area or necessary tactics it’s not exactly the slam dunk they make it out to be. It’s really only a two and half day hunt so you need to learn fast unless you just get lucky. I got the job done the last day though. Overall it’s a great time. but I highly recommend you get with someone who’s done it beforehand and you’ll be fine. . .

Edited to add, If I could go back and do it again tomorrow knowing now what I didn’t know then, I’d probably be done by mid day the first day. If you know what to do, and the area, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

Back