Opinions on Meyerco and Sharpen-it

What is your opinion of the company and the sharpener it makes(for sharpening in the field). Do they have a website?

I do have one of these and they do work.But the carbide wheels do remove metal depending how much pressure you apply.For a small field sharpener they would be alright.I was up at the family farm during deer hunting and told everybody I would sharpen there knifes,I was using a Spyderco Sharpmaker,which I think see the best.Well my wifes Aunt who owns the farm comes out of the kitchen with at least 20 knifes,some so dull it would have taken days on the
sharpmaker(I did here that the sharpmaker is coming out with diamond rods this Spring)well I used the the (sharpen it) to reprofile the edges and then finished them off on the sharpmaker.I did find a pocket sharpener from the Gatco comany,a small v sharpener that has two sets of ceramic rods,fine and medium that works suprising well,hope this helps,Gordy

Meyerco did have a website: www.meyercousa.com but I wasn't able to access it today. I've seen the Meyerco Sharpener but can't offer an opinion on it, but I do have several Meyerco knives. I have a Meyerco Speedster, Rascal and Stingray. They're okay for the money, but if you're interested in the assisted opening knives offered by Meyerco, they are no where near the quality of Kershaw's Speed Safe knives.

Speedster:
mc6500l.jpg

Pic courtesy of knifestuff.com

The Speedster is you basic plain Jane thermoplastic handled lockback. My model came in a car shaped tin box and had "alternate serrations" ground on both sides. While the plain edge portion was semi-sharp, the serrations did not cut well.

Rascal:
mc6930l.jpg

The Rascal is their small assisted opening folder with a button lock. It's a neat little folder to play around with, but there'as lots of up/down blade play, and while you could adjust the pivot to remove any sideplay, there's no way to remove the vertical bladeplay. Mine is the earlier drop point version, but new ones have an upswept clip point with thumb studs like this one:
mc6000l.jpg

Stingray:
mc6014l.jpg

The Stingray is their most recent model. It's a good looking thermoplastic hadled folder and the assisted opening feature works really fast, but there ar a few things I don't like about it. First, the pocket clip is a thin peice of sheet metal that bends out of shape easily. Second, when the blade is shut, the edge hits the inside of the handle (where the spacer would be). Now, there is a small screw at the blade stop which can be adjusted by a small hex hey to take out any up/down play that may develop (like on the Benchmark Sidewinder) but the button lock on the Stingray is not secure enough in my opinion to offer any reliable lockup. Casual use would present no problem, but I would personally go with the Kershaw models for the assisted opening feature.

Here is my review from my website http://www.ameritech.net/users/knives/slot.htm

There is one class act in every category, and the Meyerco Sharpen-It is it for slot gadgets. Designed by Blackie Collins to be so simple that it could be used on horseback, the Sharpen-It features tungsten carbide wheels for the first stage and fine ceramic wheels for the second. The ceramic is so hard and fine-grained that it is more like using a steel. With this combination, the Sharpen-It performs well at both sharpening and honing.

Unlike other slot devices, the Sharpen-It adds a third wheel to each set, giving two slots, and shapes them so that they sharpen one side of the blade at a time. This setup allows you to vary the bevel angle somewhat. Drawing the knife through at an angle decreases the bevel angle and gives a more razor-like edge. Since it is assembled with tamper-proof screws, I could not measure the bevel angles, but this information is less important because you won't have to use it with another sharpener to get complete results.

Also unlike others, the Sharpen-It can be used equally well left-handed. It is so compact when closed that it can be carried in the watch pocket of your jeans. The unit well built and sturdy, and features a tapered hone for serrated blades. A less expensive model is available without the tapered hone.

Back