Opinions please

Hello all well I've decided I'm going back into trucking and with all the crap going on on the road I want a good overall knofe for primarily self defense but that can pull survival duty if needed. Because I'm a trucker the land scape will vary from day to day. I have it narrowed to these tell me what you think
1. Ka bar modified tanto
2. Ontario SP6 surprised me lighter than the ka bar
3. Cold steel tactical tanto machete
4. SOG seal team elite

Any one of those blades mentioned would serve in a survival situation.
Depending on the state laws, I recommend one of these for self defense,
CFE3-CCF2-C305-4-FFB-91-C2-FFF200400-D96.jpg

Hello all well I've decided I'm going back into trucking and with all the crap going on on the road I want a good overall knofe for primarily self defense but that can pull survival duty if needed. Because I'm a trucker the land scape will vary from day to day. I have it narrowed to these tell me what you think
1. Ka bar modified tanto
2. Ontario SP6 surprised me lighter than the ka bar
3. Cold steel tactical tanto machete
4. SOG seal team elite

I drove an expedited box truck, border to border and sea to shimmering sea from 2012 to 2017. (forced to retire when BP was too high" to pass DOT physical Yes. I was regulated, and under the same DOT rules as them piloting the 18 wheelers.)

All the companies the truck was contracted with (owner changed it 3 times) and the truck owner, had a simple driver's knife policy:
"As long as it can't be confused with a "weapon", we don't care what it is."

I carried a Old Timer 7OT or Buck 110 on my belt, and a large stockman, or sunfish and a "Demo Knife" in my pocket.
There were (still are?) some locations where I had to leave the 7OT/110 in the truck, because the then current usually local regulations demanded a blade no more than 3 inches. Also, some shippers and receiver's don't allow sharp/pointy objects on/at the dock. They could see if I had one on my belt, but had zero clue about the ones in my pocket. I left the 7OT/110 in the truck at those locations, too.
"Hidden" in the box, I had a Cold Steel "Heavy Machete" to break down abandoned pallets.

Obviously, you want to follow whatever the knife policy of the company and owner you're driving for.

I'd recommend keeping the blade length at or under 3 inches. Unfortunately, I was dispatched to Metro NYC area quite a bit, including, Jamaica, New York. (AKA: "JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT")
Blades over 3 inches were banned at the time.
California was also knife (and everything else) restrictive.

For self defense, unless you have significant training and constant practice, forget a knife for that use.
It is still illegal in most jurisdictions to carry a knife with the intent of using it as a "weapon" be it offensive or defensive.
If a LEO asks "Why do you have that knife?" and you tell him or her "for self defense." you "win" a trip to the local and/or county jail house, and an added "bonus" of your truck and whatever you are hauling, being towed to the impound lot, and the headaches fines, and hassle of getting them back.

Seriously: If you're concerned about being attacked and self defense:
Number ONE: DON'T stop at the TA, Pilot, or any other truckstop at the East end of Dallas, for any reason... even though they have pay to park.
Their armed security guards have threatened, shot at, and robbed drivers at that TA. and Pilot.
The TA 18 miles closer to Louisiana is safe to stop at, and reset your clock, if necessary. Last time I was there, they didn't charge for 'parking, either.

Number TWO: (I'm not joking) Get a CCW from whatever state your drivers license was issued.
Most if not all states have a CCW now, (even Kansas!) and have reciprocal agreements with the other states to honor their CCW in both directions. The other state won't arrest or ticket you, so long as you are following the regulations of the issuing state.
If your resident state is one of the ten Constitutional Carry states (no CCW required. I remember Texas, New Hampshire, and Idaho are among their number), you can get a CCW good in other states under the reciprocal agreements.

It isn't illegal to have a firearm in your truck. Check with the company who's DOT number you are running under. It might be against company policy. (companies I drove under, including Panther, didn't care so long as you had a valid CCW to show any LEO and weigh station DOT officer.)

Good luck out there. Invest in a dash cam, if the truck don't have one or two, so you can prove you were brake checked, and it was the car that made a lane change into you, and not the other way around. (never hurts to have one looking back on both sides of the truck)

Thankfully, Paper logs are history, although you need a paper log pad in the truck in the event the electronic logs (Qual-Com, or other) go down. (very rare)

Last edited:
You might be better off with a can of pepper spray; using a knife for self defense doesnt always end up well . This was taken from knife news; Knives are considered deadly force weapons by the courts; therefore, they should only be used in situations where the individual reasonably believes he or she is in danger of great bodily harm or death, or to protect another from the same,”. “Great bodily harm is a legal term that seems to be hard to define, but can generally be described as an injury that results in permanent disfigurement or loss of function.”

You guys are overbearing on what people want to use a knife for.
Why not just give a straight answer ?

What if the other guy has a rpg ?
What if a meteor falls on you ?
Etc etc ..

Carry a Leatherman Wave...in the eyes of police (or a jury) it will look more like a tool that any trucker might carry, rather than as a weapon designed to slash and stab.

Sometimes if you pull out a knife like a Spyderco Endura eyebrows go up and some folks get nervous.
But if you pull out a Leatherman tool people don't seem worried or threatened at all.
And you don't even have to deploy the blade...a closed Wave is a good fist-load too.

But definitely carry some pepper-foam spray and get a CCW permit and a handgun...if your company allows such.

aim for a knife 3 inches and under, i have edited my comment, leathermans are a great option, and you can supplement it with a SAK tinker, and you'll be fine, chances are you will very likely never have to use the knives on these on anyone, i live in a sketch area and so far never had to "defend" myself once --- most people know better than to approach a semi/big rig/truck with the driver inside, only because you never know who is nutty these days, and really --- it doesn't hurt to have an actual knife for self defense, just hide it in the truck somewhere --- its better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it

Last edited:
Carry a Leatherman Wave...in the eyes of police (or a jury) it will look more like a tool that any trucker might carry, rather than as a weapon designed to slash and stab.

Sometimes if you pull out a knife like a Spyderco Endura eyebrows go up and some folks get nervous.
But if you pull out a Leatherman tool people don't seem worried or threatened at all.
And you don't even have to deploy the blade...a closed Wave is a good fist-load too.

But definitely carry some pepper-foam spray and get a CCW permit and a handgun...if your company allows such.

ive gotten looks when i pulled out one of the knives in my leatherman free P4 in the parking lot of home depot to cut some zip ties, but then again i live in california ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lots of people here are saying don't do this or that because of the boys in blue, and i have to ask:
at the end of the day, would you rather be "right" or dead?
carry the knife, don't advertise it, i live in California, one of the last states hanging on to the old ways that refuse to reverse the switchblade ban and have some pretty screwy gun laws, i carry whatever knife i want i just don't advertise it, or using it, if i have to use it im discreet about it, if im pocketing an auto i hide the blade before deploying it for my task, the main word is subtlety and as always --- the best way to defend yourself is knowing when something is about to happen (line from a movie, still very true)

Back