• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Optics Planet?

Hey so I'm thinking of buying from an online store called Optics Planet, and was just wondering if anyone here had any experience using them. Nothing came up in a search, so I figured I'd make a new thread.

EDIT: wait, never mind. I think they're out of stock after all

But I'd still like to know what the general consensus is, so I know whether theyre an option in the future

I've had nothing but perfect experiences with them. I highly recommend optics planet.

I'm curious too. I almost made a purchase from them recently but the availability said "ships in 15-24 days" for a knife that is discontinued so that kind of scared me away.

They seem legit but I ended up finding the knife elsewhere.

Used them a few times years ago. I had no problems. Don't know how they are nowadays.

I know them from another hobby. I have had no direct experience with them. That said, they are a big company that sells a lot of different stuff and their sselection of stuff just keeps growing. It is like buying from any other big company that sells everything under the sun. They most likely will know nothing about your product, in this case a knife. Further, there are chances of drop shipping and proper stock representation issues.

It is a bit of a risk. I would feel more comfortable dealing with the big river and better yet dealing with one of our paid dealers who deal in mostly knives. It might not be worth it to save a few bucks to go with folks who also sell microwaves and telescopes. I know with bladehq or knifecenter, or kershaw guy, or knifeworks, or ect......you can call them to ask questions and find out about stock on hand. And they will know what you are talking about.

Make sure any item you order is actually in stock when you order it. You have to click a separate link to verify it's status and they're not good at letting you know if it's immediately available or backordered.

I have not had good luck with them, and stopped trying. Basically, their game is to list something as available, and then after you go through the ordering process you find out it is not. Optics Planet and Botach are two that I always avoid. This was 5 years ago, so maybe they've changed. But there are usually mucho alternative to them on eBay.

Said in stock when I ordered from them. Had me wait a month before conceding it was not actually in stock like web page said. Canceled order and won't use them again.

Alright guys, thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll avoid them for now.

There's too many other options to justify risking it.

The blogger found at Everyday Commentary has a writeup detailing his experiences with Optics Planet. They responded to his claims and apologized but his claims were less than flattering. I have no first hand experience with them but thought I would mention another side to this discussion.

I have not had good luck with them, and stopped trying. Basically, their game is to list something as available, and then after you go through the ordering process you find out it is not. Optics Planet and Botach are two that I always avoid. This was 5 years ago, so maybe they've changed. But there are usually mucho alternative to them on eBay.

They are still the same, this is also my experience with Optics Planet. Both times I tried them the item was listed in stock so I bought, item was not in stock, quite a bit of time passes with no contact from the seller. Eventually I contact and am treated like its my fault the item isn't in stock. A couple months ago it was Steiner marine binoculars that showed in stock and were not. After a week I inquired and was told the binoculars were out of stock and they had a similar pair of Steiners they would substitute, I agreed. After another week of not hearing anything I inquired again and the replacements they offered were also not in stock. I finally cancelled my order after several wasted weeks. I can't see myself ordering from Optics Planet again.

I have not had good luck with them, and stopped trying. Basically, their game is to list something as available, and then after you go through the ordering process you find out it is not...

This. I will not do business with them any more after a few bad experiences. To be brief and blunt, Optics Planet sucks.

They also have a sister company called Dvor.com and i ordered a ZT 0562cf from them that was supposed to ship in a week and it ended up taking 4 MONTH'S to get but the price couldn't be beat, that's why i hung in there.

Like what was previously mentioned just make sure the item is in stock.

Google Dvor once, it ain't pretty...

I've ordered two scopes from them in the past 6 months or so with no issues and great deals on both of them.

I ordered a scope from Optics Planet and it took over six months to receive it and they sent me the wrong one. My son ordered a ZT that was supposed to be in stock and never received it. Had to get a refund. I will never order from them again.

I've had a couple of perfect purchases with them. I would order from them again if they had what I needed at a good price.

Did a search, Ya it's not pretty. Sounds like botach in the making. Guess for those of us that had good experiences were lucky. Oh well, plenty of other people out there to give my money too

I got shotgun parts from them by way of amazon with no issues... if you deal with them, go that route IMO

Back