Options for knife carry when wearing overalls.

I got a nice set of overalls for when I fish during the winter but came to the harsh realization that knife carry is going to be quite difficult. The only 2 ideas I came up with were shoulder carry which I am not impressed with or thigh rig but I would have to design a special sheath for it. I COULD do the thigh rig in kydex but my blade will be naked so there will be kydex scratches which I am trying to avoid. Any ideas?

The type , size , weight and style of the knife has a huge influence on the carry options you have available .
What knife are you wanting to design a sheath for ?

Ken

Bark River 1.25 and Scrapyard 511. I was thinking about having a MOLLE panel sewed to the leg of the thigh area.

The type , size , weight and style of the knife has a huge influence on the carry options you have available .
What knife are you wanting to design a sheath for ?

Ken

I've been out grinding knives the last couple of days. Its pretty cold with the felt temp in low double digits and this afternoon suppose to be in single digits. In these conditions I wear a pair of insulated Carhartt coveralls while grinding (I do all my grinding outside). Anyhoo I've been thinking on your question here regarding knife carry while so attired. I think I'd go with a small fixed blade in a boot sheath clipped to the pocket. Seems pretty practical and a small fixed blade would sure take care fo most fishing chores. Might be something to consider.

Clip on folder in top chest pockets and a neck knife always. This is my choice when the bibs are on.

I always wear bibs. Years ago I came up with the Sheathclip. You attach it to a belt sheath and can wear it clipped anywhere.

I used to were a fixed blade hunting knife on my overalls by just putting the one chest strap right through the loop on the sheath so the knife blade and sheath would hang under my left arm,works real well and never was in the way.

This post is a year old....but,
I just wear a canvas web d ring belt,so comfortable ,you dont know your wearing it
knife on one side d ring on the other.
super cheap,check amazon.
perfect for CC

I've nver hesitated to wear a belt with overalls if I had much I wanted to carry on a belt.

I wear coveralls for EMS calls at night. Easy to get dressed and out the door quickly. I use a web gear belt to strap on all my equipment on at one time. When I use overalls/coveralls around the farm, I have a separate gear belt that has my farm carry equipment - EDC knives, phone holster and .357. Slip on the overalls, strap on the belt and out the door. When I come in for a break, I just hang the belt on a hall tree, where it's waiting when I go back out. Or trade belts if I get an EMS call.

Well, in my overalls I wear while working carpentry, I have a slipjoint in one of the pencil pockets, my utility knife in the folding rule pocket, and when I am working outdoors, my mora hanging around my neck. when I go fishing or hunting in winter, I hqve pocketless goretex overalls. I dont fuss with any folders in winter (I carry one as a backup and out of habit), so I just have my mora around my neck for easy gloved access.

Connor

Being a little large around the waist, knives on the belt aren't to comfortable. I wear painter's jeans or coveralls while working outside. I have found that a small fixed blade in a flat sheath with a metal spring style belt clip will clip onto the leg pockets and provide quick comfortable access to my knife. The clip faces out, rather than in, reverse of if you were wearing it on the outside of the belt. rtmind/Randy

Guys I made a neck knife last week and made the sheath this week but messing around with the most comfortable way to wear it , since I make the sheath with adjustable para cord slide knot so you can fit it best for you, I slid it out as far as i could and it made it long enough to slide one arm through the cord and the knife came out from under my shirt and I was able to put part of the knife in my pocket. I also have a lanyard on this one so you can secure it to something on the outside of your coveralls. I would assume your coveralls are like mine and have a slit above the pocket. If your out fishing you can were it on the outside and secure your'e lanyard to possibly a tool holder if your coveralls have one. I hope I was able to explain that without scrambling every bodies brain. Either that or make a kydex sheath with lanyards on the top and bottom of the sheath.

You said if you use kydex your blade will be exposed. I use felt on the inside of the kydex. you can get it at any craft store or Walmart. I put it on before I heat it up, you can get self adhesive or plain either way I use an all purpose material glue for plastic and material. It doesn't hurt to let it set a little before heating the kydex and you don have to tape the knife for space. Another thing I do is after completed I pull the felt back at the top about an 1/8 and put super glue to hold the top tight. I also take my heat gun and heat the top 1/4 to half and flair the sheath so the edge of the knife doesn't catch the felt. Also practice putting the knife in and out of the sheath so your not jabbing the point into the felt and tearing it. I know sounds like a lot but nothing worse than seeing kydex scratches all over your blade. If it's a work knife let it go, but also makes the knife come out of the sheath quieter when needed.

JC60
Cox Cutter Custom Knives

Back