Orange SpyderHawk - Anyone have one?

Ok, I'm a huge sucker for Orange and also the H1 series as I'm an avid fisherman, boater and weekend pool/lake rat.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the benefit of the hawkbill shape and the serrations for say fishing (freshwater kayak and bass boat) I usually carry either a Pacific Salt plain edge or my H1 Dragonfly plain edge. I really like this and everyones pics have started to push me closer to the edge. I just want to try and justify my purchase on the usefullness or advantage of the serrations and hawkbill shape. Thanks

Good for pull cuts and slashing motions, (especially against rope and plant material) which I've personally found to be a little safer on the water, as to put the blade to good use you generally have to cut away from yourself. They're not as safe as a blunt-tipped wharncliffe by any means, but it's fairly hard to to accidentally stab yourself with a hawkbill, especially in comparison to something like a pac salt. That said the Spyderhawk is a lot of knife- if you want to try a hawkbill, the DF2 hawkbill or Tasman Salt might be a better place to start.

Got mine today. Its a beast. Pretty large, very sharp. Build quality is good. Oh yeah its friggen sharp!

I cut some bags, some foam, and some peppers and cubed a bunch of raw steak. This thing eats meat like a bull shark. I think I am going to order a backup since its going tonbe my river knife. If I lose it I will be pissed. It does carry broad in the pocket though. A direct result of the large hawk bill blade.

They should have made a recessed spot in the butt of the handle for the tip to sit, kind of like the matriarch

Also, I am actually thinking of regrinding the spine to give it a wave like my waved delica. This will make it not feel so big in the pocket and will speed up deployment

Also, I am actually thinking of regrinding the spine to give it a wave like my waved delica. This will make it not feel so big in the pocket and will speed up deployment

Definitely need some pics if you do! :D I've been tempted to de the same. Either with one of these knives or a Tasman, (also a GREAT folder) but still haven't done it yet.

Loving this knife! It is a plastic strap cutting monster... It also demolishes cardboard and any sort of package it encounters. Only day one with it though. Can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring. Another thing I noticed immediately upon holding it, is that I much prefer the ergos on it compared to the Pacific Salt. The thumb ramp is just different enough to make a big difference in my opinion. Very comfortable in the hand.

Got mine today. Its a beast. Pretty large, very sharp. Build quality is good. Oh yeah its friggen sharp!

I cut some bags, some foam, and some peppers and cubed a bunch of raw steak. This thing eats meat like a bull shark. I think I am going to order a backup since its going tonbe my river knife. If I lose it I will be pissed. It does carry broad in the pocket though. A direct result of the large hawk bill blade.

They should have made a recessed spot in the butt of the handle for the tip to sit, kind of like the matriarch

Was it difficult to cut meat and peppers? I've always found hawbills to be inefficient at cutting food, which is one of the reasons I don't carry one often. Of course I've never tried a larger one like this.

Not really. For the meat I just dragged the tip along the cutting board. For the pepper I cut the core out, cut it in half and then held the halves in my thumb and forefinger and sliced off 1/4 thick strips

Ya know what else this thing is good for????

Cutting yourself. I have done it twice now because I am not used to the damn orientation of the point. What would be a miss by a half inch with my Millie is a good poke with the tip of the spyderhawk. The first one was a little prick with the point. The second one was a nice little slice in my palm. Be careful if you arent used to a hawkbill.

Last edited:
Just got mine and love it >> actually it was a "Get Well" gift from some good Spyder-Brothers over at the other Forum. I'm no stranger to the Spyderhawk because I got my first one back in 2003 when they first launched the old, original VG-10 units. But this is one Hawkbill I'll never get tired of. Why the Spyderhawk isn't a permanent fixture in the main line up like the Harpy is puzzling to me. But I do think that with the recent success of the LadyHawk and DragonHawk models selling as good as they are I see the entire line up of Hawkbill blades gaining in sales and overall popularity.

Many people are just now starting to see several of the practical uses for Hawkbill blades. This Spyderhawk is a great tool for landscaping and all kinds of lawn and garden uses and if they would market these blades for those types of jobs I think it would be hard to keep them in stock.

I do like the nuclear colors because if you are doing lawn & garden work or using the blade for wide array of demanding cutting jobs the loud color sure makes them much easier to find if misplaced.

Ya know what else this thing is good for????

Cutting yourself. I have done it twice now because I am not used to the damn orientation of the point. What would be a miss by a half inch with my Millie is a good poke with the tip of the spyderhawk. The first one was a little prick with the point. The second one was a nice little slice in my palm. Be careful if you arent used to a hawkbill.

so...I'm not alone! :p

aS3EKaj.jpg

I haven't had time to go out on my boat with it yet, But the spyderhawk is a BEAST for yard work. The dayglo orange handle is easy to find and when you're done you just hose it off and shake it dry.

5jvecCh.jpg

yeah this Sprint Run, nuclear orange Spyderhawk is a really nice piece but I still wish people would realize just how useful these big Hawkbill blades are. Especially in the landscaping and lawn & garden sector. If the Lawn, Garden and landscaping catalogs would sell these they would truly be selling thousands of them. Even at the prices they have them at once a serious gardener would try one out you then they wouldn't be without one.

I would love one of these with a G-10 handle and very much want to see the return of the G-10 Harpy as well. Most people just are not aware of how useful these highly misunderstood blades are.

I really love my Tasman, more than I thought, and I'm sure I'd love one of these too. It has been tempting me for a while now.

I really love my Tasman, more than I thought, and I'm sure I'd love one of these too. It has been tempting me for a while now.

Go for it! :) If you like the Tasman, then you'll surely love one on steroids! I also liked the Tasman even more than expected. Didn't seem to wanna leave my side for a long time....until this beast of a cutting apparatus showed up!

I recently got this knife. I wanted to try out a serrated knife, and figured I may as well try it in the largest hawkbill Spyderco makes (I did think pretty hard about a Golden serrated knife though). I knew it would be big, I have an Endura. But I did not realize it would be so wide. The hawkbill is barely contained in the handle, they definitely went with as much hawkbillyness as they could! In the middle the serrations are actually outside of the handle, though I could not push a fingertip in there enough to feel the edge.

It's wider than a Manix 2, which I think of as a fairly wide pocket knife:
FkrSh6I.jpg

It is indeed a beast in the yard. Makes quick work of pruning anything green. Much handier than shears for some of my pruning tasks.

BjZtl7ql.jpg

Back