1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Orange SpyderHawk - Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Riz!, Apr 15, 2018.

1. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Hey I won't stop there at lawn & garden tasks either because I've found the Spyderhawk and other Hawkbills to be ideal for any kind of "pull cutting" jobs. And the Serrated/Spyderedged Hawkbills are like little chainsaws in that they can get through just about any tough material that you can cut with a blade.

I hated to see the past yellow handled, H-1 Spyderhawk ever get deleted from the Salt Series because it just has a lot of practical uses. If professional gardeners, landscapers and people that work in the horticultural field discover how good of tool the Spyderhawk is there will be thousands of them sold.

mb> likes this.
  2. Ed Ricketts

Ed Ricketts Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 1998
    Absolutely right.

3. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    So with that answer I take it that you are an avid user of the Spyderhawk??? Correct? With that being said I'm kind of wondering now what you all use your Hawkbills for? and please differentiate between your plain edged and Spyderedged units. Because to be fair about it they are two different animals.

Also for our good Brothers who use their Hawkbills in fishing and all sorts of marine environments please share with us what kind of cutting chores you've found you PE and/or SE Hawkbills have proven to be efficient at?? This is actually probably subject matter for a thread of it's own but the Spyderhawk has the distinct advantage of being much more versatile by virtue of it's size alone. The reason I deem that sector to be so important because the marine/fishing uses are what Spyderco target marketed the Harpy ( and other Hawkbills) for the overall market from it's inception.

4. Ed Ricketts

Ed Ricketts Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 1998
    Pruning mostly, some fishing when i have time. Occasionally opening packages. Cutting any rope, cordage or webbing.

No offense intended to those who like them, but i don't ever use the plain edge (in a hawkbill).

5. khukoo head

khukoo head Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I just got one because of this thread. I’ve never owned a hawkbill before and I gotta say, I’m liking it a lot! I showed it to my wife when it came in and she said “ooh! Neat! A saw”
    C3C0D17B-1F80-4BFA-A770-7C2B4BC62F3F.jpeg

Riz! and Knifeoholic like this.
  6. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Oh I agree with you whole-heartedly Ed because of all the PE Hawkbills I've added to my collection over the years I've only ever used two of them and for very limited use I might add.

To me a Hawkbill without teeth ( especially Spyderedged patterns) is severely handicapped in it's ability for major cutting jobs IMO. I've launched a few threads over the years here at BF and over at the Spyderco.com forum asking what people use PE Hawkbills for and I've hardly ever gotten any serious response at all. Curved blade designs just seem to work much, much better with a high quality serrated edge>> and the Spyderedge is about as good as it gets.

Oh I've had other really good quality serrated edges from companies like J. A. Henckel, Victorinox, Wustof and a couple of Japanese culinary knife companies too>> but I've never had a serrated blade of anyone's that I found better than Spyderco's Spyderedged models.

Going back to what I said about the old Spyderco SUPERHAWK model which was never offered in SE didn't last long in the catalog>> but I do believe if they brought it back in SE the sales would even surprise Spyderco themselves. And the Spyderhawk which this thread is dedicated to is almost like a power cutting tool because with teeth it truly cuts very well.

7. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Littorally(sic) the best for chronic beach bumming ?

I'm seriously looking at this and just wanted to bump the thread to see if anyone wanted to "testify " ! :)

Open also to alternative recommendations under ~$100 .

8. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Used mine today harvesting basil and parsley to make pesto. Later a FedEx package arrived that was bound with nylon straps. Used it again. Great knife.

DocJD likes this.
  9. cabfrank

cabfrank

Jun 21, 2010
    I still want one, I still don't have one, and I agree that there is likely no better knife available anywhere for the beach, among other uses, of course.

DocJD likes this.
  10. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Such as great IWB jogging/hiking knife for those extra sweaty days.

Best Bang-for-Buck blades during gross motor SD movements under duress.

The mere deployment alone may be enough to de-escalate a confrontation with the 2-legged varmits.

DocJD likes this.
  11. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    I used mine on the beach to cut bait and lines when surf fishing. Worked very well. No rust anywhere. I also carry it in my pocket every time I go running. So its carried at least twice a week and get sweat all over it. Also no rust. Great knife.

DocJD likes this.
  12. Michael Pattarozzi

Michael Pattarozzi

Jul 15, 2018
    Mine is attached to the first aid kit in my car. There isn't anything better for cutting seat belts, and, if you are careful, clothes. Just use with the back of the blade next to the skin.

DocJD likes this.
  13. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    I've heard that the nuclear Orange Spyderhawk is still available at two or maybe three well known knife dealers. I'm sure New Graham still has them. And don't forget to check our own favorite "One Stop Knife Shop" which hosts this great Bladeforums>> I do try to support them when I can. I'm going to get a Platinum membership this next go-around because they deserve it to keep a great forum like this great Bladeforums.com because there is none other like it at least that I'm aware of.

But also I want to see Spyderco's great line up of Hawkbills get the attention and recognition that they deserve. They are much more than just cool looking blades they are extremely functional as well. Especially the serrated/Spyderedged version of the Spyderhawk. It's just an outright fact that serrated Hawkbills have at least 20 times as many uses as the plain edged units have. It seems like curved blades and teeth really go great together.

DocJD likes this.
  14. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Just now ordered one and looking forward to receiving soon ! :)

Haven't gotten a new Spyderco for years .

This will nicely satisfy my future salt water knife needs . H1 should be nearly care free . Most of my knives I would feel the need to worry and fuss over . Not what I want on vacation to the beach / sailing etc. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My thanks for all posts on the thread ! ;)

mb> likes this.
  15. FK

FK Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Uses for "Hawkbill" SE Spyderco.
    1. Marine - nylon ropes soaked in salt water are very difficult to cut with PE,, the SE tears right through.
    2. Nylon belts and straps on packing crates easy and quick with SE
    3. When the C12 Civilian was introduced in about 1994, I had friends in the military who preferred them for cutting away smaller shrubs and grass when setting up a hide for sniper positions. Easy to reach forward and selectively pull cut without exposing your position.

Just ordered a back-up Spyder Hawk,,, excellent design for a great price.

Regards.
    FK

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    DocJD likes this.
  16. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Thanks ! I always thought the Civilian could have well performed many utility applications and often wished for a sturdier version . :):thumbsup:

17. kniferelatedname

kniferelatedname

Feb 24, 2018
    I have liked this knife since I bought it, but really never found a use for it that a regular knife couldn't have done. I've used it in the yard and such but didn't really feel it cut wood better than something else. Maybe if I'd been cutting vines or something I'd feel differently (I have plenty of vines just haven't used this yet ). But I like how large and light it is, it's really made me give the Endura another look.

Yesterday I was installing insulation in rolls over my garage. I took the Spyderhawk up in the attic with me, and it was great. It really sort of "pulls" the material together to cut. And it kept cutting through it even at the end when it was pretty dull. I rolled about 700' of insulation, and had to cut it to length many times. It was 2' wide but a few areas of the attic were only 15" so I had to cut quite a bit of small pieces to fill in.

Today when sharpening I was a little surprised to have to tilt the Sharpmaker to actually hit the edge. It was tilted about 4 degrees, meaning the edge is around 25 degrees (my 20 degree setting measures 21 with a protractor). That's still fairly acute considering it's chisel-ground, but I've noticed in general my Seki knives don't do so well with the Sharpmaker built-in settings.

DocJD likes this.
  18. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    Ive been thinking of modding mine to add an emerson wave

DocJD likes this.
  19. lovescamaros

lovescamaros Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I might have to pick one up and with my mil discount its a bargain.

20. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016