Order of the Canoe

Hey all you canoe guys and gals, does anyone or did anyone make a canoe with a sheeps/coping secondary?

Thanks,
Clay

I think I had this one in the early days of the thread, but it got wiped in the photobucket fiasco, so here it is again. This Fight'n Rooster is one of the nicest folders I've got. Beautiful green pickbone, double pinned shield, nice thin blades, great walk & talk.

zyyqP85.jpg

I think I had this one in the early days of the thread, but it got wiped in the photobucket fiasco, so here it is again. This Fight'n Rooster is one of the nicest folders I've got. Beautiful green pickbone, double pinned shield, nice thin blades, great walk & talk.

zyyqP85.jpg
Oh that’s a beaut right there!

The Fort The Fort
First off Lance, I hope you had a good Thanksgiving and second I found the same canoe you posted earlier. I can't tell the year because the bolsters hide the dots. I'm able to make out two and I assume there are more. No box so I can't confirm the color either.
View attachment 802918 View attachment 802919
My dots are also partially covered by the bolster, but that particular knife of mine doesn't have the blade etch. I believe that makes it a little earlier model. I believe mine is a 1973. I also have a 1975 that does have the blade etch.

My dots are also partially covered by the bolster, but that particular knife of mine doesn't have the blade etch. I believe that makes it a little earlier model. I believe mine is a 1973. I also have a 1975 that does have the blade etch.

The Case canoes I've seen only have the etch on the CV version as far as I know, anyway. The new True Sharp ones do not have the etch, at any rate.

Can any of you pinpoint, what year(s) Case switched its canoe from single spring to two spring?
I am set on acquiring a few more of the singles, as I find them much nicer.
I should add that the latest I have seen appeared to be a 1985, but they are sometimes tough to date as obtaining a visual of the dots is often difficult.
I have also seen pics of what was represented to be a 1987 that pretty clearly appeared to have two springs. So my best research has it in that ballpark. Wondering if anybody can do better.

Last edited:
Thanks, so I was on the right track then. Not sure why my searches never found that discussion. Here I was, tracking down photos of canoe knives from every year in the 1970s and 1980s I could find, evaluating the accuracy of the claimed date, and trying to determine from often poor photos if there were 2 backsprings or 1. In other words I was rubbing two sticks together while there was a Zippo available!

I have a Case Canoe that has either 6 or 7 dots. So that would make it a 1973 or 1974. There is no etch. Does anyone know exactly when the etch started? It was probably either 1974 or 1975 based on what we know so far.

Last edited:
Its the GEC canoe, #16 pattern. The 2012 premiere run was the only one, I believe. They weren't very popular. The wood is Tulip.
Thanks for the compliment, its one of my favorites.
View attachment 827219
Like a lot of GEC patterns that sat on dealer's shelves, they now go for two or three times their original price. NUTS!

Those tulipwood covers look great!

I was curious about this pattern so I picked up a Rough Rider to also practice scrimshaw on. To be blunt, the knife is crap but I really like the pattern. Feels great in hand and in pocket, and I actually like the blade selection; not as redundant as I assumed.

Those tulipwood covers look great!

I was curious about this pattern so I picked up a Rough Rider to also practice scrimshaw on. To be blunt, the knife is crap but I really like the pattern. Feels great in hand and in pocket, and I actually like the blade selection; not as redundant as I assumed.
Sorry to hear you got a bad one. :(
Of the 5 or 6 Rough Rider canoes I have, the only "problem" I've had was the shield decided to stay in the box when I got the knife. (A Twisted Bone series canoe) A little super glue took care of it.
I hear other more expensive brands have had the shield fall off, so I don't consider it that big a big deal.
Other than that, no problems at all. Blades have been sharp and centered, with no wobble, a consistent "5" or so pull. Just over all good users. :)

Sorry to hear you got a bad one. :(
Of the 5 or 6 Rough Rider canoes I have, the only "problem" I've had was the shield decided to stay in the box when I got the knife. (A Twisted Bone series canoe) A little super glue took care of it.
I hear other more expensive brands have had the shield fall off, so I don't consider it that big a big deal.
Other than that, no problems at all. Blades have been sharp and centered, with no wobble, a consistent "5" or so pull. Just over all good users. :)
Its no biggie, this is an experimental knife anyway; I already planned on taking it apart if the scrimshaw didn't go well (it didn't :p).
With this one exception I no longer purchase Rough Riders, but quality isnt the reason. I've had about a dozen or so of this brand and this is the first lemon.

Back