Order on the way....

Nice jumping right in without dipping a toe, best way! Congrats

I really am home now, guinness, whiskey, beautiful knives. and you guys know the freak Bros to boot.

Beauty there in the light. Love all that fancy chisel work.

Sorry, but correct answer was "first base"....now, what's second?.....i don't know.....third base?

For the record, but not Tommy, i could have named maybe two of those band members.....but i did play in a back-up band for Benny Goodman in 1976....

Last edited:
Well, my trio has arrived already and I couldn't be more pleased. Unfortunately, I don't have any way to weigh them and it's a cloudy rainy day so, I haven't tried them and the pictures turned out crummy. They will follow later. They all feel completely different in the hand. The M43 is by Lachhu, TC by Thamar and the CAK by Purna. All in all, extremely happy with my first haul. Of course, as always, I must graciously thank Aunti for picking out exactly what I wished for. The TTC you can shave with, the other two are reasonably sharp. I believe a little time with my sharpening steel will get them where I want them. To soon, to pick a favorite, if I ever could. I'm thinking heavier next, perhaps a 20" AK or 20" CAK if Yangdu will entertain the idea of having one built.

Last edited:
Auntie probably already has one. Probably just need to ask. 20" ain't unusual.

... I'm thinking heavier next, perhaps a 20" AK or 20" CAK if Yangdu will entertain the idea of having one built.
Yep! Bawanna knows what hes talking. She may have one now. I have one of each so if you have any questions feel free to ask away. Those two on the left are 20". CAK by Bhakta and AK by Tirtha.
8276067667e208f3056e7e8571ba5513

Last edited:
Thanks ndog, upon Bawanna's suggestion I inquired. Nothing in stock so, I asked if I could order one, will wait for response.

There may be even one in next shipment, but orders of a normal in-stock item is not a problem.....i have a simple order, myself, which is a KLVUK but with white metal fittings.....i want the entire thing to rust properly and traditionally....all it takes is waiting....being accustomed to 6mths to 4.5yrs on some knives, this is not a problem...

I had expected to need to order my recent tin chirra after seeing so many sold, but i lucked out in lusting after something with decent stocks on-hand at the moment....man i love that thing....just shy of 2lbs...1.94.....

Oopssie.....a Bonecutter made by a man who studied under Sarge and saw exactly how his baby was supposed to be, would be the man.....and you surely picked Baby Huey to play with.....that is a chopper for sure....

Last edited:
Just a thought regarding weights....smartest thing i ever did as for peace of mind was to buy an electronic postal scale at a local big box office supply place....i realized one day how many weights of various things i discussed or wanted to know was just huge, and now, by golly, i know....

Yeppers mntgunr, that is in my plans. Just curious at the moment how the weight of the 20" BC and CAK compare. I believe at about three pounds would be my comfort level. I know a great deal depends on the balance but, it can give one a general idea.

ndog, do you have an idea what your 20"CAK weighs in at? Thx.
Hold on a minute! Let me whup out my electronic postal scale;)

OK Here is an updated family photo:

52167f95d7f31dfb2a545b2916bd1742

Left to right
20" Tirtha AK= 42 oz.
20" Bhakta Super CAK= 48.6 oz.
18" Bura AK= 29.6 oz.
17" Bura CAK= 28.4 oz.
17" Kumar CAK "Blackie"= 29.5 oz.
12" Bura AK (Khonvention Khuk) 8.0 oz.
Dhan Bahadur Baby CAK= 6.6 oz.

The Super Chiruwa AK by Bhakta has a shorter handle and the distal taper in the handle slab is very nicely done as to be expected by Bhakta. He really is a Master at them fullered blades as well. It makes it handle similar to a regular AK which I usually prefer. I cant say which one I like the best but If I were to buy another it would be an AK like the Tirtha with a non-chiruwa traditional handle shaped like the Bhakta CAK. There are also advantages to the longer handle that one might like. You can choke up on it for lighter work like splitting up kindle which is a snap because the weight alone does the work or you can handle it normally and really get some speed out of it. Both are great blades. CAK transmits more vibration and conducts cold to your hands whereas the regular traditional handle minimizes this. All a tradeoff. One just has to decide what fit best for their conditions.
As you might notice the bigger they are the more use they get:D (DBCAK is the exception)

Last edited:
ndog, thanks much for taking the time and effort for the wonderful, informative response! It's appreciated and much more than expected

ndog, thanks much for taking the time and effort for the wonderful, informative response! It's appreciated and much more than expected
No problem man! Hopefully it can be of use to someone else later. I dont mind at all.

But will state they vary so much, a great reason to be grateful for Dear Yangdu posting lengths and weights of her DOTD knives....i note most of the Tin Chirras she has listed in those are lighter than the one she sent me which is just shy of 32 oz.....this one is not a beast, but i sure know that baby is in my hand and hardest part of a chopping job simply elevating it....i like that....gravity never breaks or wears out...

Back