order status and projects

This is a bit of a slow workweek. I'm getting stuff done, but slowly. Currently 27 knots with 60knot gusts and 2 inches of rain since midnight, bringing this storm cycle to 4.5 inches since monday AM.

The wind pulled a 180, too. Most of theshop is tarped off, but I've got plenty of hand work going on under cover. (actually, mostly working at the kitchen table right now)

Supposedly we'll be in clean up mode on friday. And we haven't lost power for more than a few minutes, which is shocking.

In addition to orders, I'm trying to get 4 or 5 trail knives set up, 3 more Puget Sound Trappers, a few sgian dubhs, another combat LBK and 2 or 3 more SERE LBKs... and the 2 1/8 inch woodsman LBKs I'm working on. About half of this is destined for the burlap composite fod is doing up. And some leukus. And two contest blades. wow. I need some 80 hour weeks.

I'm also working on the smaller backup blade. I'm trying to work up something in between the gerber guardian and the sgian dubh, at 7 inches OAL with about a 3.25 inch blade.

And the next two new large projects are the modern scots dirk, and a variation of the Smatchet.

I have the stock set up for a run of keppie style blades. That's going to be a straight week of just doing those, probably 25 or 30, inexpensive and simple. Not sure when yet.....

OK, what is a Puget Sound Trapper?

I like the Puget Sound and I'm interested in trapping, so the name alone strikes up some interest....

It's my slimmed down long utility blade- not a hudson by any stretch, but a great knife for the PNW areas. It's not actually all that far off in some basic ideas from the Alaskan, but ... well, slimmer and lighter.

247-0001.jpeg

247-0002.jpeg

247-0003.jpeg

Excellent. 5" or 6" blade? I really like the long, slight clip. Great design. Seems....fundamental.

It's my slimmed down long utility blade- not a hudson by any stretch, but a great knife for the PNW areas. It's not actually all that far off in some basic ideas from the Alaskan, but ... well, slimmer and lighter.

247-0001.jpeg

247-0002.jpeg

247-0003.jpeg

Quit with the temptation now buddy !:D

What are the specs on these puppies ?

6 inch blade, at 11 inches overall.

This particular one just came back to me, it was out for some lookings ats. I'm really wanting to get a few more done, and possibly try the 1/8 inch 1080 for this, too. though... I don't really see the need. the 15n20 is plenty sturdy

Can't wait to see the traditional Scot's dirk

I dread it. There's no way I can resist ordering one. I'm screwed before the design is even complete, before the first one is heat treated. Christof, don't do it. It's not practical. I mean who really needs a dirk? Make something else. Stick with less desirable blades.....please. ;)

It'll be a bit, still. I'm still dabting if I want to go through the hassle of making a FULL distal taper, 1/4 inch at the BUTT of the knife, tapering down to 1/8 near the tip. Be freaking cool, but... that's bigger than the average disc sander.

It'll be a bit, still. I'm still dabting if I want to go through the hassle of making a FULL distal taper, 1/4 inch at the BUTT of the knife, tapering down to 1/8 near the tip. Be freaking cool, but... that's bigger than the average disc sander.

"Freaking cool"

Does anything else need to be said?

MOVING MOVING MOVING

I'm finishing up 4 handles right now, everything else is either packed or being packed, and I'm packing finishing tools as I get done with them.

HAlf the shop is MOVED to nevada, the other half goes thurday.

as of SATURDAY afternoon, I'll be on site setting up the new house and shop.

new shop pics!

First day we moved- shop bench is the picnic table until I get one built:

2010-08-10-0002.jpeg

frame of the workbench:

2010-08-10-0001.jpeg

it's going to go inside here:

2010-08-10-0005.jpeg

against that wall:

2010-08-10-0008.jpeg

and it fit!

2010-08-10-0016.jpeg

my helpers:

2010-08-10-0013.jpeg

2010-08-10-0015.jpeg

An intermediate wall for a "clean side"

2010-08-10-0017.jpeg

not so clean, is it?

2010-08-10-0019.jpeg

drawers still taped up in the last photo...love it!

ahhh moving! I need a drink just thinking about it... :)

Glad things are coming together!

Man, that's a nice spot Christof... all the work will pay off in the end. Looks like something out of a Western...

Back