Ordered a CS American Lawman - what's your experience as an EDC.

WvAkxUl.jpg

Size comparison next to a manix 2

Didn't realise how similar they are. I'm considering getting a manix next.

For the price it’s a good knife.
But, The handle is a little wider than I’d like. The handle finger guard is a little big than I’d like. But my hands are medium large.

The knife is light weight, smooth opening for a back lock. It carry’s well and cuts well. It could be thinner behind the edge but it’s good enough.

Overall it’s a keeper for me.

If you want, IMO the best overall tactical folder that Spyderco offers, get this bad boy...
gOYZnf1.jpg

Received order, super sharp out of the box. How does that even happen for a mass produced knife??

Feels much lighter and smaller in the pocket than I thought and bigger in the hand.

The ergos are great for a flat sided handle. Makes no sense, I am critical of handles and thought only complex contoured hand fillers could be good. This flat non-design feels great.

What a nice balanced functional understated tool.

As others mentioned, pocket clip is tight....it is real tight. Will do something about that.

Manix 2 XL. Not just a bigger Manix 2... The handle is different in significant areas.

While a fine looking beast that no doubt is high quality the slot with the ball and spring mechanism just looks like a gunk funnel to me. That right there is a deal breaker.

I have a CTS-XHP / DLC / flat-ground one.

I think it's a great all-rounder EDC knife. Only complaints for me are the slightly sharp inner edges of the G10 handle scales and the stiff pocket clip riding on rough G10, but I'm more of a lanyard guy these days.

I bought it as a more subtle, less murderous looking alternative to my Code 4 Spear-point (also in CTS-XHP), but I ended up rotating between the two on a weekly basis as I'm still torn between the two.

I find the Code 4 more comfortable in the hand as the inner edges of the Aluminum alloy handle scales are smoother, but I find the American Lawman easier to open one-handed due to its grippier handle. The Code 4 needs a bit of technique for me with my dry hands and its smooth handle scales.

As for the Manix 2, I've handled a few (several G10/S30V models and one Lightweight model in CTS-BD1), and just cannot get behind the Ball-bearing lock. Stiff and gritty-feeling. Not like my Benchmade Griptilian which was smooth and effortless out of the box. It's a pity as I liked everything else about the Manix 2.

I don't have the strength to unlock it with one hand and clip was crazy tight. Everything else I really like! The handle is the perfect size and grip for my old worn out hand.

Mr. Wilson

While a fine looking beast that no doubt is high quality the slot with the ball and spring mechanism just looks like a gunk funnel to me. That right there is a deal breaker.
While not trying to jack this thread about the Lawman, I'll just say when I first got my Manix 2 XL, the plastic on the ball-bearing lock bothered me. After some research, realized how strong and sensible the design really is. That coiled spring in there is stronger and more durable than any Benchmade omega spring, and the physics around Spyderco's caged ball-bearing lock (or CBBL) make sense. It's probably my favorite lock mechanism right up there with the compression lock.
Received order, super sharp out of the box. How does that even happen for a mass produced knife??

Feels much lighter and smaller in the pocket than I thought and bigger in the hand.

The ergos are great for a flat sided handle. Makes no sense, I am critical of handles and thought only complex contoured hand fillers could be good. This flat non-design feels great.

What a nice balanced functional understated tool.

As others mentioned, pocket clip is tight....it is real tight. Will do something about that.
Glad you like your new knife. It's all about expectations. I was expecting something different when I ordered mine (my fault for not researching enough), so when I got it I was initially disappointed. Now, like I said previously, it is my favorite EDC. You get a thick, strong-tipped, 3.5 inches of S35VN that you can fit almost anywhere because of it's slim profile.

I don't have the strength to unlock it with one hand and clip was crazy tight. Everything else I really like! The handle is the perfect size and grip for my old worn out hand.

Mr. Wilson
Mine was like that when I first got it but broke in well after a couple weeks. Now I can flick it open with ease. And I have yet to oil the pivot. I would recommend oiling the pivot. Since I have the Snaggletooth mod on mine, I prefer having the action a little tighter than my "non-waved" knives.

solid knife, great lockup, useful shape, its about half an inch thick from the side profile, maybe less, pocket friendly and the clip is great too, the coating on the blade is also great, doesn't come off easy

mine came with buttery smooth disengaging, which caught me off guard cause im use to the "click" or how i pronounce "Chk!" when disengaging a TRi-ad lock

Back