Ordered a TOPS Little Bugger, is their quality always this bad?

Ordered a TOPS Little Bugger on National Knife Day, just got it today. Was disappointed as soon as I took it out of the bag.

The blade looks like it was ground by a drunk. It's not straight at all, as a wharncliffe is supposed to be; it goes straight for a little, then curves up, then curves down severely, then goes back up at the tip. The edge itself is rough, uneven, and not very sharp, with scratches above it all the way along both sides. The kydex sheathe seems alright apart from retention being ungodly tight. I have a legit gun belt that I carry a Glock 17 on and I have to yank so yard it pulls my belt up to get the knife to release.

All in all I'm not impressed one bit. This looks like a Khyber Pass copy of what I thought I was ordering. For a little $73 piece of 1095 I hope this isn't the standard.

Luckily the place I ordered from has a good return policy. Should I try and fix this myself, or just return it? If I return it do I try for a replacement? Is it worth it? Or just get a refund and buy something else? I was looking at the Real Steel Connector D2 wharncliffe alongside the TOPS and it looks like I chose wrong.

7Neyyu4.jpg

SPt0kfm.jpg

4YNzNoZ.jpg

SgDkywr.jpg

Personally, I'd send it back.
For that kind of money you should not have to fix the edge or sharpen it before you can use it.

Personally, I'd send it back.
For that kind of money you should not have to fix the edge or sharpen it before you can use it.

That's what I'm leaning towards, but I don't know if it's worth asking for a replacement of the same model. If this is just what TOPS does I'll get a refund and buy something else.

Return, if at all possible. You will most likely never be happy with it. Buy something else.

That darkening doesn't look right. Burnt steel?

Return it.
I think that's a lighting issue in the photos, there's no darkening. There is some weird smudging though, which probably created the lighting effect. It looks like they poorly tried to polish the secondary bevel but didn't do it evenly.

I see the issue you are referring to.. BUT.. In my world I would keep it, use it, enjoy it..;) In time from sharpening the problem will disappear and you will have a GREAT knife...:thumbsup: Unless it is intended on being a safe queen then return it.. :D JMO!!!:D
John :)

That doesn’t look right. It looks to me someone messed with it then returned it. The mark on the micarta at the top of the handle near the blade is showing wear. The kind of wear from putting it in and out of the sheath. The blade looks like someone attempted to polish it. Contact the dealer and return it.

None of it is an example of what I’ve seen of tops knives. I own three.

That doesn’t look right. It looks to me someone messed with it then returned it. The mark on the micarta at the top of the handle near the blade is showing wear. The kind of wear from putting it in and out of the sheath. The blade looks like someone attempted to polish it. Contact the dealer and return it.

None of it is an example of what I’ve seen of tops knives. I own three.

It was fresh out of a sealed bag so I doubt someone returned it. And the wear is from the kydex sheathe, it's so tight and that's where it locks up.

Regardless of what happened I already contacted the dealer and got an RMA. It's going back and I'm going to try something else.

I see the issue you are referring to.. BUT.. In my world I would keep it, use it, enjoy it..;) In time from sharpening the problem will disappear and you will have a GREAT knife...:thumbsup: Unless it is intended on being a safe queen then return it.. :D JMO!!!:D
John :)
Maybe if it were significantly less expensive but it’s a small piece of 1095 and a straight edge. A tops employee should be able to grind this tiny straight edge in their sleep.

Send it back and get an izula 2. I’ve never been impressed with tops even if I didn’t take into account their crazy high prices.

IMO... Definitely send it back to the vendor--immediately and at the vendor’s expense. Fixing gross manufacturing defects isn’t a cutromer responsibility.

I have a Little Bugger, it's easily one of my faves, and you can use the blade as a straightedge. That one looks like somebody decided to "improve" it, botched the job, then returned--bags aren't difficult to reseal. The sheath is quite snug, it's so light that you would never notice it if it fell from being loose. Kydex is easily adjusted with heat, but it is an easy draw if you pop the sheath off with a thumb on the spine.

Oof. Looks like they just biffed it. Not cool for the money. I'd probably exchange for another, because it looks like a very handy design.

My Tops MSK came with one of cleanest factory grinds I’ve seen on any of my production fixed blades. The sheath retention was insane, though to be fair it is an inverted neck knife. If it wasn’t strong I’d be more concerned.

My last tops folder and fixed blade had horrible f/f . I returned both for a refund.

Too bad because the designs were spot on.

Last edited:
Oof. Looks like they just biffed it. Not cool for the money. I'd probably exchange for another, because it looks like a very handy design.
It definitely is a good design, and it feels great, which is why it sucks that I got a lemon. I have a problem trusting a brand when something like this is my first exposure to them.

Back