Ordered my first SAK..Victorinox Classic SD Alox

SA53012.jpg

I have been carrying my main 3.5 inch blade pocket knife less often as in cities its just too much knife to carry...so i wanted to get a multi tool but leathermans were just too big and my needs have changed...i am more often in downtown urban environment and big tools wont fit into slim fit jeans and stand out strangely.
so ended up ordering the smallest SAK on the market..the classic alox...its so much sleeker than even Manager and just looks so aesthetic. i was thinking of getting cadet first but i didnt see the need for wine or bottle opener..its easy to open beer with anything..scissors are more useful...and the blade is just enough to cut open box tapes and envelopes or even cut a paracord.

its an experiment for me to see how much work i can get out of this as an edc..its small enough to be allowed anywhere in city and without landing u in much trouble in cities like new york.

i just want to check with members here if its too small down urban daily needs or should i have gotten cadet alox which has bigger blade?

It should be fine based on your stated needs. I carried a similar knife (Alox Mini Champ) and a Case Peanut as pretty much my only pocket knives for about 9 months and never really needed anything more.

I do like the Alox Cadet quite a lot. It's one of my favorite patterns and was a primary carry for several years.

I think you are going to be very surprised at how much a Vic classic will do in the big city or anywhere. I grew up in Washington D.C. and spent my whole life in and around it, living in it's Maryland suburbs. I don't carry large knives in general, and I like a pocket knife that I can forget it's even there until I need it. For the past twenty years, a Vic classic has been on my keyring so I can't leave home without it. Outside of food service where the blade is just too short for cutting a loaf of Italian bread, it's done fine. Even now retired to Texas, the little classic is my first layer in what I used day to day cutting open boxes, plastic blister packages, string of all kind, mail opening, and what ever. Add in the handiness of having scissors on hand, and the SD tip of the nail file, and it's a lot of usefulness in a very small package. The SD tip fits most of the small Phillips scrrews that are in everything. Back it up with a flat keychain screw driver and P-38 in the wallet, and you'll be ready for almost anything.

25322635661_415db67a3a_c.jpg

If you make up a leather pouch type sheath for the keyring, so the knife is not really attached to the keyring, it's a lot easier to use the knife or any of it's tools by just pulling the knife out and using it. The sheath will also save it it from being beat up by the keys.

The blade of a classic gives you about the same amount of cutting edge as the run of the mill box cutter or utility knife.

You could make a great case for the humble classic as being the great urban/suburban edc. I know that whole days have passed when the classic was the only pocket knife I had on me if I were going 'downtown'. I have a special soft spot in my heart for the classic, if you can't tell!

Last edited:
..so i wanted to get a multi tool but leathermans were just too big and my needs have changed...i am more often in downtown urban environment and big tools wont fit into slim fit jeans and stand out strangely.

I agree most multitools are too big for urban carry. But…I tried the Leatherman Squirt and fell in love with it. It's like a heavy duty version of the classic but with much added capabilities. Not much bigger, but a bit heavier, it fits in business casual pants great, and gives a LOT of uses in a very small package.

These two tools do most of my edc these days.

As inexpensive as Vic's are, I'd recommend trying out the Cadet as well, or just check out the other 91mm models. I've always considered the SD as a nice keychain knife and as with any knife could be a primary carry. I just find it a bit small for some tasks. The 91mm Vics just seem like a perfect size, the main blade is about 2 and three quarters long (or there abouts) and the implements just work better. I just picked up a Cadet II off the river site for just 13 bucks, if you don't like it you can give it away at the price.

My girlfriends mom bought me my first Classic SD as a birthday gift around 16 years ago. The same same woman, who is now my mother in law, bought me another Classic this year for Christmas. Love these little knives. I won't ever be without one.

There are a lot of fine leather workers here on the forum. Just wondering if you all know of any that make/sell a keychain pouch like the one jackknife shows in post #3 above. I'd consider one for my Rambler.

jackknife covered it well. He's the Authority here on the merits of the Vic Classic. Nothing else can be added to that, it's a great little knife and you'll be surprised how well it performs. I love the tiny scissors also.

You won't be disappointed. The Classic is amazing, and a pleasure to carry. I have about a dozen of them, they at fun to collect and more fun to use.

They're a fairly capable little pocket knife with a few basic tools, especially the toothpick and tweezers.
My grandfather carried them for years as his only pocket knife, and if they ever failed him ( from him wearing them out of course ) he'd just go to Walmart and spend 10$ on a new one.
I carry one very often for the toothpick and tweezers, and on occasion have used it's blade which is surprisingly capable.
If someone wants a multitool though, they should get an actual multitool over a multi-function knife as they're just two different beast's. ( the leatherman micra is a great option)
The dilemma is weather you want a knife with a few tools, or a tool that happens to include a knife.

Been using it for over a week now and couldnt be more impressed.
some impressions:
- its much much smaller than i imagined and much more lightweight..its non significant weight.
- knife is wicked sharp..slices through paper.
- scissors are so useful..i use them to cut strapping flat rope on boxes all the time and cut extra threads of clothing.

i also got a ti3 flashlight..both together are attached to my keychain and dont add much bulk to pocket.

FYda9x2.jpg

Be veeeery careful here, Wayne! You may learn how easy it is to slip down the slope of maximum minimalism!

Be veeeery careful here, Wayne! You may learn how easy it is to slip down the slope of maximum minimalism!
i am finding it very convenient...yesterday i used it to slice lime wedges to add to my corona beer at friends house party.

i am quite surprised that these alox versions r super solid and have no play even for such tiny tools...is alox version technically supposed to be stronger and tougher than other versions?

i am finding it very convenient...yesterday i used it to slice lime wedges to add to my corona beer at friends house party.

i am quite surprised that these alox versions r super solid and have no play even for such tiny tools...is alox version technically supposed to be stronger and tougher than other versions?

Yes, it is my opinion, which when added to 1.20 gets a 16 ounce coffee at 7-11, that the alox SAK's are a cut above the other SAK's. Yeah okay, bad pun. But I feel from my own experience that the alox is a bit tougher, although the cellidor is not exactly fragile. I've been carrying cellidor classics for about 20 years now, and I've put them through some abusive use. Being a low cost knife, (they used to b 8 dollars at Walmart) it was my choice for a lot of dirty work. I used to think the little classic was a bit of a joke, tiny keychain knife that it was. But the joke was on me, and it took my better half to show me the error of my ways.

About 20 years ago, my wife was working for a real estate settlement company, and they would have hand out stuff with tier corporate logo on it for clients. Little AAAkeychain flashlights, pens, little calculators. Well one day Karen comes home from work with a little cheap Chinese knock off classic on her keyring. THAT was a joke. She tells me that Dave, the office manager had bought a bunch of them to handout to clients. The knife blade was butter knife dull, the scissors would fold over the paper, and the QA was well past horrible. There was only one thing to do;

I went out and bought two new Victorinox classic's. One for her, and one for Dave so he could see side by side how bad the Chinese thing was. As a result, Dave sent back all the Chinese classics and had the advertising company put their logo on real classics. Of course Karen start to use hers on a daily basis. Like I said, I didn't have much respect for the little thing. I thought light duty only. REAL light duty.

In all my years of marriage, I have learned that only a woman can abuse a piece of equipment to the point of destruction, so I was waiting for Karen to show me a broken classic. She would really use the heck out o fit, and I kept listening for the 'ting' of snapping blade or small parts hitting the floor. My wait was in vain.

Not only did the tiny classic hold up, Karen would be prying up things with the SD tipped nail file like it was a crowbar. She's saw down through stuff that had me clinching my teeth, but the thing kept on going. After a few months, I took a look at it, and aside from a bit of wobble in the blades, and a slight nick in the scissors from where she used it as a light wire cutter, it was all there. That started me on what I called "The Experiment."

I put one on my keyring, and for a few months, made a conscious effort that when I needed a pocket knife, I'd try the little classic first before I went for my regular pocket knife. To my surprise, it did everything I needed,edxecpt for vine trimming in the garden and food use. I opened boxes, cut down boxes for recycle, cut fishing line, cut twine, and found a ton of uses for the little scissors. My respect grew a huge amount.

Now to this day, I carry a red classic in a leather pouch sheath on my keyring, and it's used for something everyday. The SD tip fits most small to medium Phillips screws, and is a great poking tool.

Never under estimate a classic.

These days, all my other SAK's are alox. My old Wenger SI, pioneer, and cadet are my usual carry SAK's in my pocket. They 'back up' the classic on my keyring. I've traded off all my larger cellidor SAK's for alox.

Last edited:
The Classic is a very functional little knife. But I prefer something a bit larger and add the Leatherman Squirt PS4 to my pocket tool bucket. The Squirt is very useful. You might take a look at one. Not expensive. However, my small SAK choice is the Bantam for it's slim feel and functional blade.

Like the Classic or the size of the Classic, I originally thought the Leatherman Squirt was a bit of a joke.... just another trinket. But THIS trinket really works.

The Classic is a very functional little knife. But I prefer something a bit larger and add the Leatherman Squirt PS4 to my pocket tool bucket. The Squirt is very useful. You might take a look at one. Not expensive. However, my small SAK choice is the Bantam for it's slim feel and functional blade.

Like the Classic or the size of the Classic, I originally thought the Leatherman Squirt was a bit of a joke.... just another trinket. But THIS trinket really works.

Leatherman squirt; the other mighty mite of multitools!

Back