• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ordering knives through the mail - shipping charges

I recently ordered a knife and the charge for UPS ground shipping was $24.75. I will not say who the maker is, but it was the least expensive choice they had. Then I get a notification this morning that the knife I ordered on 12/17 will arrive to me on 12/29. So for a $25 shipping charge, it takes 11 days transit time?

I understand the holidays puts intense pressure on the shipping infrastructure we have in the US, but $25 to deliver a less-than-a-pound box and it takes 11 days?

I order a thousand rounds of 5.56 and it costs $16 to ship through UPS and takes a week...

Move to Canada and try ordering things from the US if you want a real eye opener. Not to mention UPS and FedEx add brokerage fees on top.

Look at the total price. Cost plus shipping. Then decide. It’s either worth it or it isn’t.

One wag or the other you pay for it. What difference does it make how it’s broken down?

XL it is worth it, no argument there. I just can't fathom how it can take a less-than-a-pound box 11 days to cross the country.

Look at the total price. Cost plus shipping. Then decide. It’s either worth it or it isn’t.

One wag or the other you pay for it. What difference does it make how it’s broken down?
Exactly .

Haven't seen it recently , but used to be some scammers on Ebay would sell at very cheap item price . But the shipping / handling cost was outrageous .

I recently ordered a knife and the charge for UPS ground shipping was $24.75. I will not say who the maker is, but it was the least expensive choice they had. Then I get a notification this morning that the knife I ordered on 12/17 will arrive to me on 12/29. So for a $25 shipping charge, it takes 11 days transit time?

I understand the holidays puts intense pressure on the shipping infrastructure we have in the US, but $25 to deliver a less-than-a-pound box and it takes 11 days?

I order a thousand rounds of 5.56 and it costs $16 to ship through UPS and takes a week...

Yes that is expensive, I usually pay 4-6$ to ship <16oz. (USPS) They usually arrive and less than a week as well. but not much "insurance"

Can't really say anything about the 11 days transit for yours considering whats going on this year and holiday shipping rush.

I feel your pain, but just to add my own personal experience with shipping recently.

I have 2 knives I shipped USPS. One is finally being delivered today (hopefully) after a week late, the other still hasn't been scanned after 4 days.

Just sold another knife so I decided to to UPS or FedEx because I don't trust USPS right now due to the sheer volume they are getting (nothing against USPS, they are my preferred shipper).

UPS wanted $39 to get there in 3 days or $20 to get there in a like 8 days.
FedEx wanted $44 for 3 day, or $16 for 5 days.

I went the $16 FedEx route and dropped it off yesterday and it scanned it saying it would be delivered Sunday (3 days in transit). I was stoked! Faster than originally quoted! Checked the tracking again today, now it says it will be there the 28th, basically 5 days later than the latest original quote.

All shipping companies are slammed right now and I have put a stop to selling/buying things online until after the holidays. It's delayed for all of them right now unless you're dropping like $50 for shipping.

Just sent a registered letter from Ca to Mo on 12/2. It hadn’t arrived yet by 12/17. Ran the tracking. Took two days to get to LA and then sat in LA till the 15th when it finally left for Mo. This letter cost $13 to mail.

Move to Canada and try ordering things from the US if you want a real eye opener. Not to mention UPS and FedEx add brokerage fees on top.
For two para small folders from the Spyderco factory second sale, the shipping was $45 USD... OFC there will be other shipping related fees too. The shipping fees are rough for Canadians buying from US companies.

If it's the only source for a knife you just absolutely want - they've got you. I would continue shopping if I had the choice. I hate it went companies determine S&H on the basis of cost rather than the S&H really required. There is no question that the shipping world is in disarray -super busy and short handed.

Yeah........I ordered a flashlight from a company in Connecticut on 12/10 it has gone from Connecticut to Massachusetts to Ohio there it just is sits.......Oh and I live in Pennsylvania.......LOL. At least the shipping charge was only $4-$5.
You do need to watch.....some companies will offer an item at a really low price........then slam you with high postage and handling.

Our dumb dogs got into a scrap & one of them tore the other one's ear up.
Blood everywhere. Took him to the vet to get is patched up.
She told us he needed a no flap head wrap to keep his wound from reopening.

My wife ordered one on Wednesday from some online pet supply place & paid an extra $25 for overnight shipping.
It didn't come in Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday - so on Monday, she calls them to find out what's up. They told her they were out of stock and that it should ship by mid-January 2021.
Of course she cancelled the order - but - I have to wonder if they still would have charged the overnight fee had we waited?

What gets me is when you pay $45 +tax at a brick and mortar and walk out.

Yet the same thing on line is $45+tax and the cost of shipping.

The B&M has shipping factored into their price. You would think online prices might be a little less.
Of course, there is the S&H to the retailer.

Trump supporters don't care to hear it but DeJoy (Trump's appointee as Postmaster General) is largely to blame because he ordered the dismantling of high speed mail sorting equipment across the country and gave orders that carriers were not to wait for mail to be added to their routes but to leave them behind further delaying delivery.

DeJoy later refused to contramand these orders even though he "promised" that he would do so after these policies came to light and political pressure was brought upon him to change them. So, the delays in mail delivery that many of us are experiencing now are due largely to the attempt of DeJoy (on behalf of Trump and the Repub party) to subborn the election so that mail in ballot delivery would be delayed to the benefit Trump and the Repub party, which apparently was unsucesful, at least as far as Trump is/was concerned.

Hopefully, Biden's new appointee as Postmaster General can fix all that but, like the dismantling of the Pentagon and Intelligence infrastructure by Trump, it will take some time to do so.

BTW, $25 for shipping a knife is an outrageous fee and obviously an attempt by the seller to recoup some of the cost of the knife. Even if sent by Priority Mail, it should have cost no more than $8 to mail w/an anticipated 3 day delivery time.

Last edited:
ALL carriers are nuts and crooks, period !!!
Since decades...
Last example ?
Yesterday I finally received misguided parcel by fedek s
Sent from Virginia straight down to North Florida
2 days route
dream was cut short in North Carolina and parcel went on vacation to
Salt Lake City
drink some Mormon drinks, intercourse with female packages in dark warehouse for 24+ hours and went back to Teennesee
Finally arrived, happy but 10 days LATE

I can say - FULL PROGRESS in progress

All others aren't a bit better

I ordered a pack from a small place in Utah. It went to Salt Lake City, Reno/Sparks, San Francisco Bay Area, and on to Los Angeles before it came back up north to the Bay Area and my home.

I live less than an hours drive from the Bay Area. The main postal hub for Northern California.

Why send my package to Southern California?

Well sometimes stuff gets left in a truck when it moves through the various hubs. Do you tip your postie? You could be flagged.

Oh as a further comment the rules regarding carriers like FedEx etc. were written up when the railroads were just crossing the country and goods were still sailing on clipper ships. So just like they say the Golden Rule means those with the gold make the rules. The railroad barons etc. stacked the deck way in their favor and they've not got a century of precedent in pocket to make sure those rules don't swing the other way.

Sounds a little expensive if it's regular ground but if it has significant value and the shipper adds insurance and signature things start to add up

Trump supporters don't care to hear it but DeJoy (Trump's appointee as Postmaster General) is largely to blame because he ordered the dismantling of high speed mail sorting equipment across the country and gave orders that carriers were not to wait for mail to be added to their routes but to leave them behind further delaying delivery.

DeJoy later refused to contramand these orders even though he "promised" that he would do so after these policies came to light and political pressure was brought upon him to change them. So, the delays in mail delivery that many of us are experiencing now are due largely to the attempt of DeJoy (on behalf of Trump and the Repub party) to subborn the election so that mail in ballot delivery would be delayed to the benefit Trump and the Repub party, which apparently was unsucesful, at least as far as Trump is/was concerned.

Hopefully, Biden's new appointee as Postmaster General can fix all that but, like the dismantling of the Pentagon and Intelligence infrastructure by Trump, it will take some time to do so.

BTW, $25 for shipping a knife is an outrageous fee and obviously an attempt by the seller to recoup some of the cost of the knife. Even if sent by Priority Mail, it should have cost no more than $8 to mail w/an anticipated 3 day delivery time.

Oh good lord. There are 800 million more packages shipping this year than last year. TDS aside the scary orange man is not delaying your knife shipment. As someone who lived through the Clinton and the Obama decimation of the military and intelligence services I find the idea that a Biden regime will "fix" the military laughable.

Back