Original Swiss Army Knife

This comes from a review of the top 100 gadgets of all time at http://www.mobilepcmag.com/features/2005_03/top100gadgets-5.html

The swiss army knife came in at number 20 ! Anyways kind of neat info.

16First_Swiss_Army_Knife_1891.jpg
20. SWISS ARMY KNIFE, 1891
Karl Elsener's first knife, which was distributed to Swiss enlisted men, featured a blade, a screwdriver, a can opener, and a punch. Today, the company Elsener founded, Victorinox, and its competitor, Wenger, offer dozens of knives featuring up to 33 different tools. Meanwhile, the name has passed into cliche as an apt description of the knife's versatility.

The Leatherman PST came in at 67!

67. LEATHERMAN PST, 1983
Put simply, Leatherman tools blow ordinary pocketknives out of the water. Pliers. A wire cutter. A file (and, in later models, whole saw blades). Plus the usual jackknife accoutrements: knife blade, screwdrivers, bottle opener, and awl. And, on top of it all, there's the appeal of wearing a compact toolkit in a leather holster on your belt. There aren't too many other objects with equal appeal to the pocket-protector crowd and the hard hats.

IMHO, the SAK should have made the top 10.
I might be a little biased... :D

Paul

Cool! I have one of the 1891? Models given to me by a buddy in the Swiss Army. It has Elsener on the main blade and is in awesome condition. I carried it with me in Iraq and it cuts like the devils tounge. My buddy told me they are very collectable and hard to find even in Switzeland. The can opener is designed for older syle cans that are no longer made but it still works for opening up a beer bottle! ;)

That's pretty interesting!

What I find even better is an Apple PowerBook in 1st place! w00t!

apple computers are the best, i no this isnt a computer forum. i dont know why people hate them so much …

spyder8 said:
we should make a top 100 knives list

Hmm... Just asking the question directly would cause a lot of debate.

I have another idea. Lets make a list of knives from Vincent's EDC thread. Each knife mention in that thread gets a vote. Then we can rank them as 'most carried knives by people in the know'.

Or, we could start another thread entitled 'List your top 10 knife picks' (sticky) and after a few hundered posts we could do the same to that thread.

Just some crazy ideas.. I bet vic would be in the top ten of THAT list! :D

Interesting list. Cool gadets anyway. Still, SAK's and multi-pliars are poor substitutes for real tools...

I have a similar PowerBook, a 170. While not a very capable computer, even by that age's standards, it was a big improvement over it's predecessors; I also have a suitcase-sized Kaypro and a sewing machine-sized Compaq Portable III.

Best Wishes,
Bob

Shows how much they know. Multi-blade knives and pliers-based multi-tools were popular a thousand years before the creation of Switzerland....

Cougar Allen said:
Shows how much they know. Multi-blade knives and pliers-based multi-tools were popular a thousand years before the creation of Switzerland....
Are you sure? that is a joke right?

Back