Osprey K&T Comparison photos

I know it has always helped me seeing a maker's work on the cutting mat along side any available models, so I will start with my humble collection of Chris' awesome Osprey Knife & Tools. Chris comes up with some really appealing handle combos along with several hammered textures on the flats. Seeing what he has produced side by side and potentially along with future knives as he evolves his craft could prove interesting. I encourage you to share yours if you have any.

Of the knives I have tried, I think it is a tie between the Warthog/Mamushi for overall usefulness, with a nod towards the Mamushi as just a plain sexy knife (if you like applying such attributes to objects). The EDU is right on up there and has it's own benefits over the other two for a daily, pocketable utility cutter. My EDU is 3/32" and sharp as hell.

As far as a current favorite? I would have to say the Raptor. Just look at it. LOOK AT IT. Beautiful design. The function as a small B&T is there. I bought this one in 3/32" for that use, but the design does not shy away from a knife's dual purpose as a weapon. Thicker steel on the Raptor would make a nice compact edged weapon. Trust me, I read Black Belt Magazine once, I know what I'm talking about. Chris, a real hero and veteran, may or may not put more of the intent of use as a self defense weapon in some of his designs, but I believe I see it there in a couple models. Look at the Ferox for instance...damn. That thing could do some work down range. A note on the handle for you people with bear paws. This one, back to the Raptor now, does have a slimmer feeling handle, at least my experience with it. You folks that need your grips just right might have to look at it hard. I enjoy it though with my perfectly sculpted hands.

Top to bottom: Raptor, Mamushi, Warthog, EDU

28065313533_e5c4d6d71d_b.jpg

:thumbup:Nice collection Danny! I'm missing the Mamushi, that's next on my list.;)

:thumbup:Nice collection Danny! I'm missing the Mamushi, that's next on my list.;)

Thanks Gus! There are still a couple more I'd like to try in the larger profiles. I know your set of OKTs has got to be pretty impressive from the knives I've seen you post.

Thanks Danny, I have collected a few of Chris' knives. I love his designs and exceptional craftsmanship. I agree with your opinion of the Raptor. I have one in sand blasted ruby red G10, that would definitely serve as a wicked edged weapon in addition to a nice B&T knife. The profile is similar to the Emerson Persian. Which was originally designed by Ernie Emerson as a fixed blade to penetrate body armor of Kevlar and ballistic nylon nature for some units in Bosnia.

Nice post. I think the Mamushi will be my first Osprey K&T but that Raptor looks fantastic. Might be a tossup if one of each appeared on a Thur.

Thanks Danny, I have collected a few of Chris' knives. I love his designs and exceptional craftsmanship. I agree with your opinion of the Raptor. I have one in sand blasted ruby red G10, that would definitely serve as a wicked edged weapon in addition to a nice B&T knife. The profile is similar to the Emerson Persian. Which was originally designed by Ernie Emerson as a fixed blade to penetrate body armor of Kevlar and ballistic nylon nature for some units in Bosnia.

Only fitting for my Raptor to be in Thunderstorm Kevlar :)

That Ruby Red is looking pretty slick too on this profile - Chris does amazing things with his handle combos. I'll always be checking in to see what he comes up with next

Nice post. I think the Mamushi will be my first Osprey K&T but that Raptor looks fantastic. Might be a tossup if one of each appeared on a Thur.

They are both excellent in my opinion. The Mamushi is a good daily carry, not overly big nor too small for a full grip for an average/slightly above average hand size. The Raptor is just nice, very nice. Given your tastes in handles I can only imagine a box elder or ironwood burl Raptor - it'd be one of those knives you just stare at

I know it has always helped me seeing a maker's work on the cutting mat along side any available models, so I will start with my humble collection of Chris' awesome Osprey Knife & Tools. Chris comes up with some really appealing handle combos along with several hammered textures on the flats. Seeing what he has produced side by side and potentially along with future knives as he evolves his craft could prove interesting. I encourage you to share yours if you have any.

Of the knives I have tried, I think it is a tie between the Warthog/Mamushi for overall usefulness, with a nod towards the Mamushi as just a plain sexy knife (if you like applying such attributes to objects). The EDU is right on up there and has it's own benefits over the other two for a daily, pocketable utility cutter. My EDU is 3/32" and sharp as hell.

As far as a current favorite? I would have to say the Raptor. Just look at it. LOOK AT IT. Beautiful design. The function as a small B&T is there. I bought this one in 3/32" for that use, but the design does not shy away from a knife's dual purpose as a weapon. Thicker steel on the Raptor would make a nice compact edged weapon. Trust me, I read Black Belt Magazine once, I know what I'm talking about. Chris, a real hero and veteran, may or may not put more of the intent of use as a self defense weapon in some of his designs, but I believe I see it there in a couple models. Look at the Ferox for instance...damn. That thing could do some work down range. A note on the handle for you people with bear paws. This one, back to the Raptor now, does have a slimmer feeling handle, at least my experience with it. You folks that need your grips just right might have to look at it hard. I enjoy it though with my perfectly sculpted hands.

Top to bottom: Raptor, Mamushi, Warthog, EDU

28065313533_e5c4d6d71d_b.jpg

I am glad you started this thread Daniel, I would have to say you are correct with the dual purpose on alot of my knives including the Raptor, The Ferox though as you say is all business in the sandbox. Thank you for laying your collection out for us and sharing your thoughts. I as a maker always enjoying hearing people compare and contrast my work. I look forward to seeing how this thread evolves.

Thats pretty neat! I have never seen that design before. I would definitely say I was inspired by Persian style blades for this and I wanted to make a B&T/ small game knife with some offensive capabilities thanks for showing this Gus!

Any comparison photos of the Ranger with some of the other offerings from Chris or Andy. I think my next knife needs to be a bigger one. :thumbup:

Any comparison photos of the Ranger with some of the other offerings from Chris or Andy. I think my next knife needs to be a bigger one. :thumbup:

Me too. Get with Gusbuster, I believe he has a Ranger plus many others to give you some comparison. I hope to see more photos in this thread, I'll add some more comparisons myself in a week or two.

The mid-size and larger Osprey K/T knives looks awesome. Like you I am really interested in the Ranger - I made a comparison to the ESEE 6 based off measurements and the photos I've seen. Looks like a great all around camp/woods/survival type knife. The one from last Thursday is really tempting, beautiful thick/contoured handle.

I'm thinking one with evergreen burlap and thick orange liners with 1/4 orange pins would be right up my ally.

A new model to me added, the Recon. I also forgot to include the dashi in my first pic, or I was just to lazy to dig it out of the truck lock box. I think I am going to need an Apache and/or Ranger next

901d4eda3f989f0d03a4ba1e6ce60b6d.jpg

Here's another pic of my Ranger with a Lady Finger and a Warthog.

Back