Osprey K/T Maintenance Thread

Hey Chris and everyone else in the gang.

I have an OKT with an OD micarta handle that has brown stains on it from my leather sheath :(

It doesn't affect function, but anyone have any suggestions for fixing it without ruining the texture of Chris' sandblast?

-Ryan

P.S.

I also figured it would be cool to have a thread for sharpening and maintenance techniques.

Hey Chris and everyone else in the gang.

I have an OKT with an OD micarta handle that has brown stains on it from my leather sheath :(

It doesn't affect function, but anyone have any suggestions for fixing it without ruining the texture of Chris' sandblast?

-Ryan

P.S.

I also figured it would be cool to have a thread for sharpening and maintenance techniques.

the best fix is to send it to me and I'll properly dispose of it for you. You don't want the micarta filling up our landfills.

I've found that isopropyl alcohol does a pretty good job removing sheath transfer from micarta and G10.

I've found that isopropyl alcohol does a pretty good job removing sheath transfer from micarta and G10.

Thanks for jumping in on this R RobbieB , what you recommend or Denatured alcohol, and or Acetone but I would use the Acetone as a last option or resort as it is the least healthy choice and improper use can attack adhesives etc..

I will start working on some additional information fornthis thread, I would encourage anyone else to share there tips or ideas as well for general upkeep.

I had some brown sheath stains on my Warthog, too.
Warm soapy water and a toothbrush worked fine (but maybe the discoloration was only very superficial)

Alcohol removes oil base dyes from the handles. It'll also dry out your micarta handle. Light coat of Mineral oil with a clean cloth wipe down will bring it back.

Re-oil your leather. 100% neetsfoot. Allow to dry.

Resolene will seal the dye to the leather, but there's a trade off .. the leather will be shiny. You can (should) dilute the resolene with water .. then wipe down your leather with Mink Oil or Sno-seal to take some of the shine down.

I have not forgotten about this thread, I have been catching up on production and admin lately.. I want to beable to add a concise and comprehensives addition.

Back