Osprey K/T Sales Mung Thread

Oh, and if anyone who has both could do a quick comparison between the (K) Apache and the Vildmark - esp. wrt food prep (I‘m thinking a fine OKT might lure me into kitchen duties more frequently :)), it would be much appreciated!

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool
Definitely some sweet ones again tonight Chris:thumbsup:. My pick was the beautiful Buckeye Burl Razorback and dang it it went fast:eek:.
C Coach23 I totally agree brother! Always great, but these recent knives are pretty outstanding! Some real jaw droppers in these batches. Chris, you are just killing it lately! Keep 'em coming bro! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Last edited:
Oh, and if anyone who has both could do a quick comparison between the (K) Apache and the Vildmark - esp. wrt food prep (I‘m thinking a fine OKT might lure me into kitchen duties more frequently :)), it would be much appreciated!

Just by images alone, the (K) Apache looks more versatile if you are mainly looking for a food prep oriented blade yet still have something that looks just as well suited for other tasks. If I was shopping, I would take the K Apache over the Vildmark for general outdoor use in additional to being more applicable (assumed) for pulling double duty in the kitchen.

I photoshoped them side-by-side to give you an idea, along with some other "K" style OKTs. The overall scale is off but you get an idea of knuckle clearance and usable blade length for dicing away on a cutting board.

Edit: models from top to bottom - Nomad, (K) Apache, Vildamark, (K) Raptor.

41629914040_b893b46e91_c.jpg

Last edited:
Oyster Oyster these forums can be an awesome place when they are active and everyone sharing info. I don't browse as much as I once did, but I do learn way more here than any contrived online/magazine articles.

I edited that post with models from top to bottom - Nomad, (K) Apache, Vildamark, (K) Raptor. Maybe Chris or someone with both models can align them better next to each other, it looks a little wonky here. I believe the (K) Apache has slightly more of an upsweep in blade to handle angle than how it is presented the above pic.

The Vildamark looks like a fine option for an outdoor belt knife, but the (K) Apache would be my choice for that and then some (ie, regular kitchen use) with the increased finger clearance and full cutting edge.

Do you have a Raptor? The K variation in particular has been discussed here. Maybe his opinion has changed, but Comprehensivist Comprehensivist has praised the (K) Raptor for food preparation

Oyster Oyster these forums can be an awesome place when they are active and everyone sharing info. I don't browse as much as I once did, but I do learn way more here than any contrived online/magazine articles.

I edited that post with models from top to bottom - Nomad, (K) Apache, Vildamark, (K) Raptor. Maybe Chris or someone with both models can align them better next to each other, it looks a little wonky here. I believe the (K) Apache has slightly more of an upsweep in blade to handle angle than how it is presented the above pic.

The Vildamark looks like a fine option for an outdoor belt knife, but the (K) Apache would be my choice for that and then some (ie, regular kitchen use) with the increased finger clearance and full cutting edge.

Do you have a Raptor? The K variation in particular has been discussed here. Maybe his opinion has changed, but Comprehensivist Comprehensivist has praised the (K) Raptor for food preparation
I don’t own a Raptor - yet.

I very much like the lines of the Vildmark and that recent one was stunning.
The (K) Apache does look to be the better option in terms of both kitchen and outdoor use.

Thanks again!!

Oyster Oyster FeralGentleman FeralGentleman a few side by side pics of Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool (k) Apache, Vildmark, Razerback and Warthog. Sorry pics are super fantastic but I think you can get the style and blade shapes pretty good from these.

Top to bottom: (K) apache-Vildmark (poon tip) and Razerback
nDz3zHR.jpg

Top to Bottom Apache-Vildmark-Warthog
pwcSBf8.jpg
Great comparison pics! And a stunning collection of Chris’s work :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just by images alone, the (K) Apache looks more versatile if you are mainly looking for a food prep oriented blade yet still have something that looks just as well suited for other tasks. If I was shopping, I would take the K Apache over the Vildmark for general outdoor use in additional to being more applicable (assumed) for pulling double duty in the kitchen.

I photoshoped them side-by-side to give you an idea, along with some other "K" style OKTs. The overall scale is off but you get an idea of knuckle clearance and usable blade length for dicing away on a cutting board.

Edit: models from top to bottom - Nomad, (K) Apache, Vildamark, (K) Raptor.

41629914040_b893b46e91_c.jpg

FeralGentleman FeralGentleman
Thank you for this!
I (and I think it’s safe to say “we all”) appreciate your insights and commentary and, in particular, the great lengths you go to in sharing them! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don’t own a Raptor - yet.

I very much like the lines of the Vildmark and that recent one was stunning.
The (K) Apache does look to be the better option in terms of both kitchen and outdoor use.

Thanks again!!

Oyster Oyster FeralGentleman FeralGentleman a few side by side pics of Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool (k) Apache, Vildmark, Razerback and Warthog. Sorry pics are super fantastic but I think you can get the style and blade shapes pretty good from these.

Top to bottom: (K) apache-Vildmark (poon tip) and Razerback
nDz3zHR.jpg

Top to Bottom Apache-Vildmark-Warthog
pwcSBf8.jpg

I appreciate your question on this topic Oyster Oyster . While I don't have one yet, I too admire the lines of the Vildmark.

Just on the above photo comparisons alone, I agree with FeralGentleman FeralGentleman 's assessment that that the "K" Apache would be the more versatile pick as a crossover field and food prep knife. Great job Danny on the photoshop comparison by the way. Your photo and photo-editing skills are valuable and much appreciated contributions to the forum. Of course Choppaman Choppaman 's photo comparisons of his gorgeous real knives help drive home the point. Thanks guys!

When I think of crossover "kitchen-y" type knives, I am looking at the ability to use the full length of the cutting edge if possible. That means adequate finger clearance between the handle and a cutting board. I have four OK&T's that fit this criteria (mostly the same ones FeralGentleman FeralGentleman mentioned above.) I used bamboo skewers in the photos below to show relative finger clearance to a flat surface.

Top to Bottom: Nomad, original style “K” Raptor, current style “K2” Raptor, “K” Apache

Here is a different angle of the same group.

The little Nomad is the king of finger clearance. That is my traveling kitchen knife on all road trips. The "K2" Raptor has the next most finger clearance and the curve of the blade works nicely for rolling push cut slicing on a cutting board. The "K" Apache has just enough finger clearance for me to allow full use of the edge without a noticeably upswept handle like the others here. The tall blade on the "K" Apache is very slice-y and helps with finger clearance. The handle shape is very comfortable and maneuverable for food prep work.

I appreciate that Chris ( Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool ) has listened to customer feedback by creating variations of models that work well with food prep as well a field work. Let's face it, we all have to eat no matter where we go. Having a knife that is a joy to use in a variety of tasks makes good sense to me.

Good luck with your choice Oyster Oyster . Think you would be very happy with a "K" Apache in this crossover role.

Phil

Last edited:
I appreciate your question on this topic Oyster Oyster . While I don't have one yet, I too admire the lines of the Vilhdmark.

Just on the above photo comparisons alone, I agree with FeralGentleman FeralGentleman 's assessment that that the "K" Apache would be the more versatile pick as a crossover field and food prep knife. Great job Danny on the photoshop comparison by the way. Your photo and photo-editing skills are a valuable and much appreciated contribution to the forum. Of course Choppaman Choppaman 's photo comparisons of some gorgeous real knives helps drive home the point. Thanks guys!

When I think of crossover "kitchen-y" type knives, I am looking at the ability to use the full length of the cutting edge if possible. That means finger clearance between the handle and a cutting board. I have four OK&T's that fit this criteria (mostly the same ones FeralGentleman FeralGentleman mentioned above.) I used bamboo skewers in the photos below to show relative finger clearance to a flat surface.

Top to Bottom: Nomad, original style “K” Raptor, current style “K2” Raptor, “K” Apache

Here is a different angle of the same group.

The little Nomad is the king of finger clearance. That is my traveling kitchen knife on all road trips. The "K2" Raptor has the next most finger clearance and the curve of the blade works nicely for rolling push cut slicing in a cutting board. The "K" Apache has just enough finger clearance for me to allow full use of the edge without a noticeably upswept handle like the others here. The tall blade on the "K" Apache is very slice-y and helps with finger clearance. The handle shape is very comfortable and maneuverable for food prep work.

I appreciate that Chris ( Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool ) has listened to customer feedback by creating variations of models that work well with food prep as well a field work. Let's face it, we all have to eat no matter where we go. Having a knife that is a joy to use in a variety of tasks makes good sense to me.

Good luck with your choice Oyster Oyster . Think you would be very happy with a "K" Apache in this crossover role.

Phil

Comprehensivist Comprehensivist / Phil:

Nomen (truly) est omen...

Thanks so much for this comprehensive (;)) reply!!

All of you, Choppaman Choppaman FeralGentleman FeralGentleman and Comprehensivist Comprehensivist et al. demonstrate time and again what a great forum this is.

Ideally, I would own at least one of each of Chris’s creations. I’m slowly working on it. In the meantime, I really appreciate all the advice in helping me choose the next one.

While I understand and respect Chris’s choice to move sales etc to other fori, I hope that the community and exchange between members here continues to thrive.

Thanks again to all :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back