Attention Osprey K/T will be moving to a new location!!!

I wanted to start this thread off my giving my thanks to Andy Roy Fiddleback Fiddleback for providing me the opportunity to apprentice under him, work for him and then in turn, allowed me to cut my teeth as a knifemaker and providing me a rich platform to spring from. I am forever grateful and I would not be where I am today without it.

After Blade Show, I set about selling the rest of the remaining knives I had made, began looking for a place and formulating a game plan, and an idea of how to go about opening up my own shop.

I found a place within my budget a few miles down the road that provided me the adequate space and independence I desire. I am excited to start down this new path but am equally as anxious as this will be my first time building a shop from the ground up. At this point, I have 1 grinder, 2 ovens, an anvil, and a handful of hand tools. I have been shopping around online for tools and managed to find a good deal on craigslist for an air compressor and a drill press.

The plan is to be moved in and as self reliant as I can be by Sept 1st this year. I am sure I will have some bumps along the way but, I am confident I will get it all worked out in due time!

The New Location!
Its empty now but that is all about to change rapidly!

Two of my newest acquisitions. I bought both of these off of craigslist used to save myself a lot of money. Whatever I can find used at a good deal I will buy them used, however, there are some tools that are best bought new because of the availability and quality of available tools at a reasonable price.

My focus over the next few months will be primarily acquiring tools, building out the shop, and getting everything up and running. I will still have access to the shop at Fiddleback Forge and will be making knives to sell at the same time while I am in transition. I will have less to sell during this time of transition but I believe I will be more productive in the long run with the new arrangements. It should be exciting and I invite you guys along for the ride and will post updates and pictures as the situation develops.

I would like to thank everyone who has followed me and supported me some of you from the beginning, I also would not be where I am at today without each and everyone of your support and I am very thankful!

Chris Linton
Osprey Knife & Tool

Chris:

It's been a pleasure watching you grow as a craftsman over the past few years. You've come a long way in a relatively short time frame, and have put out some damn fine tools. It goes without saying that you are taking a big step towards a new & exciting future. I'd like to wish you the very best of success in this endeavor. Looking forward to seeing how things come together. Remember to keep your knees bent & your back straight when you go to move that anvil of yours. Above all be safe & stay sharp !

Woot.....Osprey is moving to a new nest !!!

Peter

I am so proud of Chris. His knives are unbelievable, and I'll be excited to see how he equips his space. It was fun for me the first time I laid out a shop. Each time I've moved my ideas on tool placement have changed and the shop has gotten better. Chris has been around for one of these moves, so this process is old hat to him.

Soon I'll be able to borrow stuff from his shop! Woot.

This is awesome Chris, congrats on the success and growth! Here's to much more of that in the future. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing the shop as it gets set up, maybe next time I'm in town I can stop by for a visit.

Congratulations Chris! This is an exciting development that signals Osprey Knife & Tool is ready to be an independent business with all the joys and challenges that involves. I wish you great success in the months and years to come.

I also want to says cheers and thanks to Andy, Dylan, Allen for their mentoring while you where refining your craftsmanship skills. You have built upon their lessons and gone beyond to form your own knife making style, designs, and finishing techniques.

You are ready my friend. Good luck leaving the nest and soaring to new heights on your own!

Phil

Chris:

It's been a pleasure watching you grow as a craftsman over the past few years. You've come a long way in a relatively short time frame, and have put out some damn fine tools. It goes without saying that you are taking a big step towards a new & exciting future. I'd like to wish you the very best of success in this endeavor. Looking forward to seeing how things come together. Remember to keep your knees bent & your back straight when you go to move that anvil of yours. Above all be safe & stay sharp !

Woot.....Osprey is moving to a new nest !!!

Peter

Thank you Peter! It has been enjoyable having you along for the ride. This is a huge step forward and I am excited to be venturing out on my own. The Anvil is going to be a interesting project to move, I may have a friend with a cherry picker though. ;)

Congratulations, Chris. I wish you all the best.

Thank you very much!

Congrats Chris on the beginning of this new enterprise.

Thank you Jarrett! It is going to be cool to see how it takes shape over the next several months!

Best of luck to you!

Thank You!

Congratulations, Chris

Thank You!

This is awesome Chris, congrats on the success and growth! Here's to much more of that in the future. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing the shop as it gets set up, maybe next time I'm in town I can stop by for a visit.

Thank Odaon, Cheers to that. And let me know if and when you are in town I would be happy to give you a tour!

Congratulations Chris! This is an exciting development that signals Osprey Knife & Tool is ready to be an independent business with all the joys and challenges that involves. I wish you great success in the months and years to come.

I also want to says cheers and thanks to Andy, Dylan, Allen for their mentoring while you where refining your craftsmanship skills. You have built upon their lessons and gone beyond to form your own knife making style, designs, and finishing techniques.

You are ready my friend. Good luck leaving the nest and soaring to new heights on your own!

Phil

Thank you Phil! I am excited to take on the endeavor and all of the challenges that lay ahead,

Yes Dylan Fletcher @Fletcher Knives and Allen Surls @allen456 both played a role in my mentorship and I would like to thank Dylan for being my go to critic and Alan for keeping me busy;):D and showing me the ropes as shop Foreman, I would also like to thank Phil @VANCE for putting up with my long descriptions and photographing my work when I was an apprentice. Phillip also was on the receiving end of the middle finger one to many times when he pointed his camera at me :D thank you for being a good sport Phillip!

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support

I managed to steal Andy for a few minutes during lunch today to show him the new shop and ask him advice on my next approach. I imagine you will see more photos of him here in the future!

Last edited:
I am so proud of Chris. His knives are unbelievable, and I'll be excited to see how he equips his space. It was fun for me the first time I laid out a shop. Each time I've moved my ideas on tool placement have changed and the shop has gotten better. Chris has been around for one of these moves, so this process is old hat to him.

Soon I'll be able to borrow stuff from his shop! Woot.

Thank you Andy! My success is a testament to your mentorship, It was rare and unique opportunity to study under such a talented and successful mentor and I look forward to building on the foundation you help me lay for myself. I still have many things to learn from you, and will continue to seek your advice and wisdom in the future.

Thank you again for your generosity, mentorship and most of all your friendship.

Hey Chris, sorry I'm a bit late to the game here but just the same, Congratulations on the move and getting your own digs! I'm sure there are aspects and people you'll miss but nonetheless it is exciting to see the change and growth.

Now you just have to figure out which of your good buddies is going to help you move that big ass anvil!! :D Then again, it might be a bad sign if you look out the window and see it loaded on your truck already. ;)

Chris:

I'm sure you have a working list of the equipment you need to resume production in your new shop......the key question I've been pondering since reading your announcement is do you have the following on your list:

Shop Dog to serve as official Shop Foreman

Inquiring minds want / need to know :D

Peter

Phil

I could not say better then Phil
But I can sign under every word above

congratulation Chris
I wish you business to have a great future
I would like to visit your shop when it will be ready
Good luck from me and Igor
Taja

Congrats Chris! I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of the new shop.

Thank you! I as well!

Congrats Chris.. :)

Thanks Brian!

Hey Chris, sorry I'm a bit late to the game here but just the same, Congratulations on the move and getting your own digs! I'm sure there are aspects and people you'll miss but nonetheless it is exciting to see the change and growth.

Now you just have to figure out which of your good buddies is going to help you move that big ass anvil!! :D Then again, it might be a bad sign if you look out the window and see it loaded on your truck already. ;)

Thanks Jerry! I am pretty excited! The Anvil will have some logistics involved in moving, I am pretty sure I have a cherry picker I can borrow, if not I am sure I can find 3 other guys to help me lift it.

Chris:

I'm sure you have a working list of the equipment you need to resume production in your new shop......the key question I've been pondering since reading your announcement is do you have the following on your list:

Shop Dog to serve as official Shop Foreman

Inquiring minds want / need to know :D

Peter

I think I have most of the big stuff figured out, the little odds and ends will fill in over time.
There is a Shop Dog that will be joining me as Shop Foreman, but that's all I am willing to divulge at the moment ;), I will make a formal introduction in a few weeks.

I could not say better than Phil
But I can sign under every word above

congratulation Chris
I wish you business to have a great future
I would like to visit your shop when it will be ready
Good luck from me and Igor
Taja

Thank you Taja and Igor! Both of you are welcome for a visit!

Congrats Chris! This is incredible. I Can't wait to see how the shop turns out. Good luck!

Thanks Ryan, it should be coming along here pretty soon!

Back