Osprey Knife & Tool Behind the Scenes & Preview Thread.

Here is what I am currently working on.
There are 66 blanks in all here all CPM154, There are some variations and one off sprinkled in too. Most of the regular profiles are stacks of multiples with the variations and one offs being individuals or pairs.

At this point I have them scribe for the pin layout and next will be drilling hole for the pins and lightening holes.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Somebody help me out here. #4 and #5 warthogs?

I'm quite excited to see this batch done. :)

Somebody help me out here. #4 and #5 warthogs?

I'm quite excited to see this batch done. :)

#4 in the picture is not a warthog is a one off I made awhile back I decided to turn into a regular pattern.
#5 is a guardless variant Warthog
#6 is a regular Warthog

I will have them tapered and a handful heat treated this weekend if all goes to plan. I should be a week or so out from listing some of these.

Part 1

What I have been working on, took me a minute to figure out where I left off

Had to get this out of my system and get me excited about making some knives again after taking some time off.
the one that is farther along is practice for the other one. I had to figure out how to execute it since this is the largest blade I have ever made by a long shot!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Getting rid of the 36grit scratches here pre Heat Treat because I don't want to do it post Heat Treat, I stopped 220 grit, next time I think I will only go to 150grit

Hosted on Fotki

Clay layout for Hamon!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Some Pictures of me Heat Treating and quenching and the big Bowie, I needed Paul Brachs help to open the door and pull out the steel holding the knife upright in the furnace so I could pull it out without knocking the clay off, it was a two hands on the tongs to because this sucker was big and heavy compared to most knives I heat treat, this is one reason I got the size oven I did, so I can make big blades like this!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Great Balls of Fire!!!

Hosted on Fotki

This one looks like my face is on fire, I promise it's not!

Hosted on Fotki

Post quench!

Hosted on Fotki

In these two pictures, I have 67 Blades in total, drilled and with the pre heat treat grind of the bevels completed. Next up is tapering 75% of theses everything 3/32 and above was tapered except for the big bowie, I feel like the balance is already were I want it without the taper.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

To be continued soon....

Part 3

The first of the 66 Heat treated and ready for some handles, this is what will be available to purchase over the next few weeks!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Handles laminated and ready for blades!

Hosted on Fotki

Handles taped to their designated blade, I will be glueing these up tomorrow and shaping them this weekend!

Hosted on Fotki

That's all for now, I hope to have these glued up and shaped this weekend, I will snap some pictures and post them when I can....

Love following the progression of each knife in these work-in-progress pics.

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool is that a modified Trailhand in that first batch of treated knives? The one in the left column with a clip/swedge above a Shrike.

Also, a question on the Nomads. Is there a reason for the varied hole layout/spacing? It looks like the holes for the pin and lanyard tube placement are consistent. Are the variations due to different steel thickness to give you a desired knife balance?

Love following the progression of each knife in these work-in-progress pics.

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool is that a modified Trailhand in that first batch of treated knives? The one in the left column with a clip/swedge above a Shrike.

Also, a question on the Nomads. Is there a reason for the varied hole layout/spacing? It looks like the holes for the pin and lanyard tube placement are consistent. Are the variations due to different steel thickness to give you a desired knife balance?

Thats a new model, Trail Hand handle and a Warthog Blade shape with a clip, kind of a mashup.

Your are correct, I try and be as consitant as possible, the holes also serve as a place for the epoxy to go and bind better with the steel, Instead of getting all squeezed out, so they have a duel purpose. They also make it easier to taper as well, due to less steel being removed and as a by product allows the heat to esxape easier during tapering ass well, minimizing warpage during maching.

Thats a new model, Trail Hand handle and a Warthog Blade shape with a clip, kind of a mashup.

Glad to hear that. I've been working on a post for the "favorite models thread" and I end up with an outline of a K Raptor handle on a Warthog blade. A little less curve than the TH, but same gist. You beat me to the punch.... :D:thumbsup:

But you need to scoot the blade to the handle material on its right...

Glad to hear that. I've been working on a post for the "favorite models thread" and I end up with an outline of a K Raptor handle on a Warthog blade. A little less curve than the TH, but same gist. You beat me to the punch.... :D:thumbsup:

But you need to scoot the blade to the handle material on its right...

:D:D I am glad we are on the same page!
I will make that happen soon!:thumbsup:

Some examples fresh off the grinder, these are rough shaped at 36grit, next I will hand file each one to refine the handle shape. After that I clean up the spines of any file marks and take it up to 220, after that I hand sand them. I do not slack belt any of my knives,its more work but just a personal preference.

Not my hands BTW!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Shaped, I don't think I managed to get all 14 pictured here but they are there!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

After a long morning of shaping handles, it was time to take recess with Major!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

I still managed to find time Saturday to go over and put in some work in the new shop.

Hosted on Fotki

More to come!

Back