Osprey Knife & Tool Behind the Scenes & Preview Thread.

Its been awhile since I posted a preview of what I have been working on, Here is a little sneak peak of what I have been doing the last few days.

First video is a Bowie in W2 with a nice Hamon, it is polished to 800 grit.
I am not completley satisfied with the polish and etch so I will polish it somemore and etch again.

Second video is another Blade in W2 this one is a Raptor variant, but rather large (Bowie Large)]
This one is polished to 400 grit, and I did a test etch to see what it is I am working with.
Time to take it on up to a higher grit and do somemore etching!

More to come in the next few days!

Another one for the evening!
Chef/Butcher knife in 1095
This one is at a rough 400 grit and I did a test etch to see what I am looking at, tomorrow I will take this one and the others to a higher grit and re-etch the blade.
This one has really nice thin blade geometry!

More to come in a few days...

Profiled out 49 knives on Sunday various thicknesses ranging from 1/16'' to 5/32"

First picture here is all 3/32" CPM154

Here we have 1/8" CPM154, also to the right we have a new model in the mix!

And here we have 5/32" CPM154

Last but not least 1/16" CPM154

The whole Lot of them including the 12 Guardless Warthogs from the pre-order

Preparing to Surface grind

Hosted on Fotki

Before being surface ground

After being surface ground

I put my TW90 Surface grinding attachment through its paces tonight. I surface ground all 49 blades. It performed really nicely!

Glued up some knives last night as well, I will be posting these for sale soon, minus the EDU.

Hosted on Fotki

Saturday Paul Brach came over to use my TW90 to grind a fuller, he was nice enough to bring his forge since I do not have one yet so I had something to do while he was grinding.

Here is what I forged out, it had been a few years since I had done any serious forging, but if any of you remember this is how I started making knives before I started doing stock removal for the most part, It reminded me of why I started making knives in the first place and I really enjoyed myself, not to bad for a few year hiatus on forging. I plan on doing more forging soon once I can get a forge.

Here are a few pictures..

Here is the Forged piece at this point everything has been done with a hammer and fire.
it has a taper hammered into the tang and also has a distal taper to the blade

Here is a few pictures after cleaning it up on the grinder.

In this picture I did a quick etch so you could see the layers in the steel, the steel is 16 layer laminated Hitachi Blue Paper steel. The Blade is 10" long and has an overall length of 14 1/2"

Chris,
That's a great set of pictures and info. Thanks for sharing! Loved the surface grinder video on IG too.

I think my favorite picture is the stack of knives, stacked vertically.

Thanks
Jerry

Looks like Santa is keeping himself busy. Seeing the end results from using your new surface grinding attachments had to be very satisfying. It certainly put a big smile on my face. Anyone for a game of Blade Steel Jenga ?

Thanks for sharing Chris !

Peter

Looks like Santa is keeping himself busy. Seeing the end results from using your new surface grinding attachments had to be very satisfying. It certainly put a big smile on my face. Anyone for a game of Blade Steel Jenga ?

Thanks for sharing Chris !

Peter

It has been a busy few days, not only making knives but getting some things built and organized in the shop!
The surface grinding attachement is an amazing piece of equipment, and with shop space limited it allows me to use one machine for multiple purposes, if any of you are aware a surface grinder is not a small peice of equipment and this aatacment takes up no space is easy to use and is pretty damn precise. It took me a few minute to get aquainted with it.

Holy sweet day! Is that MY K2 Raptor in 1/16”? :eek:

No I have you slotted for a 3/32" per our discussion, there may be the possiblity this one doesnt survive the final grinding process. But we will see I wont know until I get a handle on it and almost complete with the knife.

I was just wondering what ol' Chris has been up too :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Working hard! Hows everything on the Northern Front, my buddy in Jamestown sent me a picture the other day showing he already had a dusting of snow on the ground!

Part 1

Its been awhile....

Here is a glimpse of what I have been up to the last few weeks besides the sales threads...

I have been so pre-occupied with making knives I failed to mention this on the forums but I did post it on Instagram.

My first small feature in a major magazine promoting my Warthog for the Prepper Magazine Survival Guide Magazine (Knive Buyers Guide) I found mine in the local grocery store, so I imagine it would not be to hard for any of you to find if you want one. I bought 3 the last one left..

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I have a feeling you will see the Warthog and other knives in other Magazines in the near future.... ;):D

Here I was admiring or comtemplating how odd my grinder looks with a 14'' contact wheel but I like having and using it!

Hosted on Fotki

Sometimes work feels like this!

Hosted on Fotki

So then sometimes I watch this, Lol...
I find it more entertaining the anything but has done the trick a few times to get me motivated and I have used it on other people as well. I hope you enjoy the video..

:D:D:D:D

Hosted on Fotki

This one one too!
(FYI) Little known fact the Warthog I make has a dual meaning of the Animal and the A10 Warthog.

Okay, back to the serious stuff..

So the last week or so, when I need a break from the usual grind, Instead of sitting down and chilling, I have decided to keep the creative juices flowing by working on some designs.

Hosted on Fotki

Here I took the pictures a few days apart to show the evoulution. I will alot of times draw out a design, walk away from it and come back to it with fresh eyes. I will repeat this precess over and over until I am satisfied. I will also take a pictur of the design and look at it later. I have noticed sometimes things will stand out in poictures that do not in person.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I also like to step oustide the box an make something different every now and then.

First few picture are Hearts of Koa and Ruby Red G10 I made for the Boss for Valintines day.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

To be continued.....

Last edited:
Part 2

Here is the other thingy I made this last week, I had some scrap copper laying around so I decided to cold forge a fork out of it. I later looked up that copper does not make a suitable eating utinsel so this one will be just for looks.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Major at 9 months old and 50lbs round about, he has filled in nicely. And is quite the character, he is good company..

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Practicing my grinds on thinner stock and larger profiles. Go0d to go!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Here is a glimpse of what will be coming down the pipeline over the next few months, I have around 150 knives in the works in various stages of completion..

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:
Lots of awesome eye candy going on there!! Major Mitts steals the show though, he looks like such a good Boy!

Thank you! He is a good boy most of the time. He has lots of character which I like!

Looks like there’s some more bolster work in the wings. Nice!

There are, I am going to try to keep bolsters in the mix more often now that I have my bolster jig up and running.

I like the blade shape on that top drawing. Blade design favors my Wenger Ligaw but without the guard. Great for cutting board food prep.

Thanks Bob (Big Deal)! BTW Major says he thinks he is a bigger deal than you! ;)
I was not aware of that design and vaugley familiar with the maker, I will have to check it out.

Oh btw. Next time I’m down in Atlanta remind me to stop by and reset you dial calipers for you.

Thanks I will take you up on that, These are El Cheapos so once they go bust I just buy new ones.

Wow, there are a lot of great looking blades in these pictures and I see a few that I'm going to try and snatch up when they become available. Awesome job Chris.

Back