Osprey Knife & Tool, Nomad demo

bonafide

Leather Sheathmaker, JouFuu Leathers
Chris sent me this Nomad, one his personal knives, for a sheath just before the holidays and I was finally able to dedicate some time to making a sheath pattern for it.

Visually .. my first impression, I didn't like the overall pattern. I'm not a wharnie/utility blade knife kind of guy. The quality of work is superb - as always with Chris' work. From the hammered finished in the CPM154 to the handle material and sculpting. Beautiful craftsmanship.

Performance .. this thing is a SLICER. 1/16th thick steel, high grind, distal tip, and hella sharp. I gave Chris my opinion on my form vs function concerning the bump in the belly of the handle. I'd like to see it either moved forward, eliminated, or moved backwards .. in that order - but in the configuration it's in now, the bump does sit on the path of my middle finger during a traditional 3 finger grip.

Here's a quick video I shared on my Instagram account, showing the blade in action; https://www.instagram.com/p/BdbdSqmBZ9X/

20180101_142904.jpg 20180101_142958.jpg

my opinion on my form vs function concerning the bump in the belly of the handle. I'd like to see it either moved forward, eliminated

Those were my feelings too. Still love the knife for how I use it in the kitchen, but that bump gets me in the middle finger too

That bump has actually been my only hesitation to picking one of these up. Would love to see it moved forward.

Back