1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ostrich leg source

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Richard338, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    I am working on a viking sword and I want to think about the handle while the blade is out for heat treat.
    I plan to cover a wooden core with leather.
    [​IMG]
    On page 10 in an old thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pattern-welded-sword-wip.620581/page-10, Philip Patton says that he uses Ostrich leather.
    I was thinking of doing the same, or possibly even using the leg skin.
    It seems that one must buy a huge piece of the leather, whereas the leg is not much bigger than I need for this project.

I was looking at pieces on ostrichmarket.com
    Can anyone tell me if this is a good source?
    (also please feel free to comment on the suitability of Ostrich leg leather to cover a sword handle).

Thanks.

2. claude scott

claude scott making custom sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 28, 2011
    I
    get my ostrich from Jerry VanAmburg [email protected] 208-785-0800

3. Richard338

May 3, 2005
    Claude, thanks for your reply. Do you suggest leg leather for this purpose? and does Jerry supply that?

4. paneraica

paneraica

Mar 4, 2011
  5. Richard338

May 3, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions. I spoke with Henry at Ostrichmarket. He is willing to have a small 6"x6" piece of the quill leather cut and also has some of the leg/shin pieces. I will update if/when I get them delivered.

6. claude scott

Feb 28, 2011
    I would like to see it when your done

7. Richard338

May 3, 2005
    I'll certainly post pics. I do have a slow moving WIP for this project over in shop talk.
    Claude, I appreciate your interest. I have many steps still to go, but if I finish it without any major mishaps then I will make a wooden core for a sheath.
    I saw some of your work on something similar, and since Bruce Bump gave me your card, I was planning to see if you might be interested in doing the leather part of the sheath...

8. claude scott

Feb 28, 2011
    Ya lets talk and see what we can come up with Thanks

9. Richard338

May 3, 2005
    I received my two pieces of Ostrich from Henry at OstrichMarket ($37 for both) in the mail today.
    One is cognac quill (6.5" x 6.5") and the other is green shin/leg.
    The green leg piece looks really nice to me so I will likely use it this time.
    [​IMG]
    In case anyone is interested, the WIP of the project is over in shop talk: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/viking-sword-design-wip.1621567/

10. Del Raso Knives

Del Raso Knives

Dec 24, 2005
    Australian Emu leg skins look the same as Ostrich. They are not as big but may help you out in the future if Ostrich is not available.

Richard338 likes this.