OT: barefoot running

I have been running barefoot for the last few months. I never could run before without my back and knees getting sore.

In the last few months, I've focused on improving my posture in an effective way and running barefoot, in addition to weightlifting which I've been doing for maybe 4 years.

It's a great feeling. Yesterday I ran for 2 miles. It is so enjoyable running barefoot.

Just wanted to share. Do you run? Have you ever run barefoot?

I've heard of this. How do you toughen the soles of your feet enough to run on surfaces other than grass? Is the theory that shoes are the cause of our anatomical problems? Moot point for me...arthritis in my left knee from too much distance running as a young man.

Jeff

You know that sounds poetic? Running Barefoot.

I can't decide if it's a book title, or a made for TV movie on the Women's channel about finally being free....

I walk barefoot some, and just as I'm starting to toughen up Winter comes, the boots come on, and the feet become soft.

munk

The bottoms of my feet used to be like the pads of a dog's. As a kid, shoes just slowed me down. Rock roads, twig littered pathes, it didn't matter. Boots would get stuck in the creek catching/hunting frogs and crayfish with crossbows, bows and arrows, and spears. I was ferral. The joys of summers lived like a Twain novel.
Those days are long gone. I have baby soft feet now. Workboots worn around water, filled with water, day in and day out soaked my feet smooth. Now, management/sales work keeps me indoors 7 days a week throughout the sunny months. I miss my tan. I'm soft, and pasty, and wear troubles on my shoulders like an 80lb pack. I look out my window of my fabricated suburbia home to the trees blue and misted kissing the outskirts of the now flat cold farmland. It's miles away, but calls to me. "Take off your boots. Bloody your feet. There are cricks and hollows in here to explore. Things to see that old farmers haven't gazed upon since they were lads. You are an animal wearing a man's mask. You long for the deep, for the dark, for the forest. The men you live around see me as a painting to look at, to fear, to eventually tear down for more houses. Come, let me welcome your feet with cool soft dirt and spongie moss. Autumn adventures are too be had while you are still young!"
Not today, but one day. One day there will be land. There will be open spaces, and little Steelies will take their first wary barefoot step into the wilds, and they will be welcomed with trees to climb, bugs to catch, tracks to follow, and the magic that happens when the woods thinks no one is around.

Barefoot is cool:)

Jake

I live in the city and would probably end up stepping on someone's used heroin needle, dog feces or broken glass. I'm going to try running in hip waders. :rolleyes:

You didn't mention what surface you run on. Two miles I'd guess its roads. Have you tried moccasins? What will you do when it gets cold. I too was raised in the woods, but now live in suburbia, and can't imagine running barefoot on roads. Where do you live. Interested, curious...

Andy

oo-oo-owch-oo-owch-owch-oo-owch-oo-ouch-ouch-yeeeha-ouch-ouch

nah, didn't work for me. mebbe better if i hadn't tried it on a pebble driveway....too many yucky things to step on out there in the cold cruel countryside. or for peepol to drop on my widdle tootsies.

more power to y'all who can, but i'll just stay with doing pushups over a pit with bamboo punji stakes in it - safer that way. if god had intended us to walk on broken glass he wouldn't have invented shoes.

Odd as it might sound to us, but I've seen it done many times. On every one of my 5 trips to coronado island off the coast of san diego, I watched the seals do their road marches either barefoot or in socks. Apparently it helps them avoid shin splints.(at least that's what they said). I don't know. I do enjoy being barefoot, but I'm a skinny f&*#$r. (6 ft/ 150 lb), so I get cold "REALLY" easy. So my sojourns usually require footwear of some kind.

mike

cndrm said:
I do enjoy being barefoot, but I'm a skinny f&*#$r. (6 ft/ 150 lb),
mike

tell dave to quit taking your lunch money.

jake

Hmm. I'll have to try this. You could sure bee quieter, and probably more agile.

Nam

Jake, In all honesty, you might be surprised how much I eat! I should be about 200 lbs, but I'm not. I'm one of those hated people who can eat anything, and as much of it as they want and never gain any weight.

And at work, I never see Dave. He works a ways away from me on base. And he gets to play with guns while I push pencils. :( I hate sitting at a desk.

mike

There is a way an Indian way or running, I don't know if I can describe it. But, you bend your knees and use your quadriceps to lift and pump your legs. Arms are usually at the sides (can traverse through the woods) and gently set the feet down outside ridge first then inside. (you kinda need to be trained in a different way of walking before you try). Anyways, it works best with moccasins or barefoot. No shinsplints and you can travel many miles without getting as tired as normal running.

munk said:
You know that sounds poetic? Running Barefoot.

I can't decide if it's a book title, or a made for TV movie on the Women's channel about finally being free....

munk

maybe it's his Indian name?

Lions Roar, That sounds like the commonly described way of stalking animals. I read a book titled "Tom Browns Field Guide to Wilderness Survival", and in it he briefly covers different stalking techniques. He also wrote an advanced book on stalking. I looked through it, but it was WAY over my head.

mike

I run on grass, asphalt, cement, whatever. I've been at this for only a few months. But my feet are much tougher. Form has a lot to do with it, maybe more than anything. With good form, you land so lightly and your feet don't move from where they land, so there isn't much abrasion.

There isn't much (any?) noise either. No foot slapping.

People think there are all these hazards to step on. I keep alert but the worst that I've gotten is a small splinter. People who do this report similar experience: the very occasional splinter or piece of glass, not really a problem.

I am planning on running all Winter this way. But I did pick up some scuba socks to wear if I need to. It was 45F. today and I was okay. Some people run barefoot when it's below freezing, and I plan to give it a go.

One thing is certain. I found that form is critical to running. Most of us can run without learning form, but they we hurt outselves. So I've been relearning form. And it's a lifelong process.

There is such a wonderful, free feeling about running barefoot. It is truly wonderful. I have so much fun with it. I never thought it was fun to run before.

I will be hiking soon and I will try barefoot trail hiking. I think it will be a lot of fun. My goal is to someday run a marathon barefoot.

Did I mention that I have always had bad asthma? I could never run in the cold or I'd get an attack. I'm doing this wonderful breathing system that is keeping me from having asthma and for the first time in my life I'm not taking any asthma medication.

I'm having a blast. All kinds of things are possible.

I can't consider myself a runner, but I do run on occasion. What form for running are you talking about? I'm quite interested in this. Also, what system of breathing?

Of course, the glass is somewhat of a greater risk here in college: Beer bottles in the hands of drunks don't always stay in their hands, ya know? But I'd still like to try this!

Nam

namaarie said:
I can't consider myself a runner, but I do run on occasion. What form for running are you talking about? I'm quite interested in this. Also, what system of breathing?

Of course, the glass is somewhat of a greater risk here in college: Beer bottles in the hands of drunks don't always stay in their hands, ya know? But I'd still like to try this!

Nam

There are several people who write about this running form. The one I like most is Danny Dreyer, in his book Chi Running (Chi as in the energy form from the Chinese beliefs.) There is also a writer, Romanov, who calls it the Pose Method, and it is substantially the same although I prefer Dreyer's book.

Here's the deal as far as I can explain it:

1. Stand upright with good posture (ears over shoulders, shoulders over hips, hips over knees, knees over ankles.) You should be able to stand against a wall with your heels, butt and head making contact, and without too much curve in your back. This requires you to actively use your abs to lift your pelvis up so it's level instead of tilting down and thereby exaggerating the curve in your lower back.

2. Bend your knees a little.

3. Lean forward just an inch or two, but lean at your heels. Don't bend your waist.

4. You will fall forward. You will naturally place your leg under you to stop the fall. This is now your supporting leg. Keep your knees bent. Continue falling forward.

5. DON'T push off AT ALL. Just let yourself fall forward. DON'T reach with your leg. Your supporting leg's foot should be under you, not in front of you.

The effect is sort of like this: have good posture, bend your knees, and pretend a cable is attached to your hips and pulling you forward.

People overestimate the issues of stepping on things. It is just not a problem. Your feet get tougher and you land on things lightly. I am forever landing on rocks and gravel and things, and the knees are bent, so my legs are absorbing the shock and making it smooth and light. It's like floating on water in a way, just amazing. So anything you step on rarely has a chance.

As for the breathing, that requires another explanation. It's been incredible. I have stopped snoring and I am convinced this is a cure for sleep apnea. As well as asthma. And it has resulted in my losing 14 pounds of fat so now I am lean, with no effort on my part at all.

It's like this: a lot of our problems come from hyperventilation. Chronically breathing in too much air. The Bohr effect in our bodies means that we are actually not getting as much oxygen when we hyperventilate, because we need CO2 in our bodies to be at a certain level for our respiration to be efficient.

The breathing exercises are based on the Buteyko method. You do sessions of reduced breathing and you try to breath more shallowly. Basically you try to have a slight feeling of suffocation. This conditions your brain and your body to hyperventilate less.

You measure all this with a "measurement pause." Exhale comfortably. Once you've exhaled, start your stopwatch and hold the exhaled breath. how long can you hold it?

5secs or less = you are very sick
15 secs = you probably have asthma, or sleep apnea or other
25 secs = you are probably healthy but if you have some challenges, you could get additional health problems
40 secs = very healthy
60 secs = incredible

I am in the 17 second range.

What you do is:

1. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS nose breathe. No matter what, NEVER breathe through your mouth. Your nose conditions air, and limits air intake making it harder to hyperventilate. When I lift weights, I nose breathe. When I run, I nose breathe.

2. Every night I tape my mouth closed. The first week, my really bad snoring ended and is gone completely. Night sleeping is a time when most of us hyperventilate. With the tape, I am always nose breathing even at night, minimizing the effects of this. Another great effect is weight loss, but they say if you need to put on weight, you will actually feel hungrier. And I know longer get up 2 - 3 times per night to urinate. It's an effect on the smooth muscles of the urinary tract and is a godsend as I sleep much better.

3. Practice sessions of reduced breathing. I practice 1.5 to 2 hours every day.

This is my worst time of year asthma-wise. I was always on several inhalers and medications and STILL had bad asthma. I haven't taken a single medication or puff of anything for weeks.

While I run, I breathe fairly slowly. I don't run so fast that I have to mouth-breathe. When I stop running, I breathe slowly and that is the key for me to now wheezing after a run. It's that 15 minute period after I stop that I have to breath shallowly and slowly, in order not to have any asthma whatever.

I hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions. I am really a novice at all of this and I would love to learn more.

Cognitive; I'm going to read that post over. I think I'll try that. I kinda think I already have, but this is interesting.

There is one thing I'd like to say. All this running barefoot stuff. If I'm understanding this right, there are gurus with systems and explanations. (and there are also legitimate techniques being discussed and my point is not about those.)

Running barefoot is what we did when we lived in a way that did not always include protective foot wear. It's basic. It's not new. It's in us already. The Master put it in the design.

munk

I'd run like this off and on when I was in cross country. I wasn't allowed to do it in meets though.

Back