OT: barefoot running

I agree with most of your information, Cognitivefun (you can now call yourself Cognitiverun). :rolleyes: Part of my workout routine includes running 4 miles a day/3 days a week. I usually run on a beach but I don't run barefoot here, mostly since I care not to encounter glass, syringes, and other objects. Also, I frequently experience "runner's high", and while 'meditating' wouldn't be watching my feet as much as I should be if I were running barefoot. Wich I were in the Caribbean or S.E. Asia right now, where I do run barefoot... :)

For those who run with shoes, choose them carefully, and have a running expert assist you in picking out the right pair for you. Road Runner Sports used to be great, and probably is a good place to purchase shoes. As Cognitivefun advises, posture, form, and nose breathing are very important. Also learn to use the esercise to your best cardiovascular advantage (220 - age X % of exercise level), and stretch your quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles well before running. If you're overweight, take it easy until you start to shed most of your excess weight, and be especially careful with form and posture.

CNDRM - Similar. Tom teaches it. For the run, the hands aren't used to support the upper body, they are kept close to the upper body and the body is upright. But, the stalking walk is preliminary to learning to do the run. Too hard to practice in public, but works like a charm on trails and in the woods without trails.

Is part of the difference that you land on the balls of your feet, instead of heel-toe?
I was grossly overweight 2 years ago, now I can jog, spar, and wrestle for good amounts. I managed 40 seconds on the breathing chart. Jogging and running are still a challenge for me. I know when my form is better because my legs hold out well, and I can quit from being winded.
I was breathing through my mouth to get more air, but I'll try breathing through my nose.

Mr.BadExample said:
Is part of the difference that you land on the balls of your feet, instead of heel-toe?

Definitely more ball-heel-ball. Never heel striking. The middle to front part of the foot strikes, where it is designed like a spring. The heel is not designed to be struck first.

When you run with shoes, you often hurt yourself because you heel strike. When you run barefoot, you can't do this, and your form becomes better almost immediately.

If you're doing this right, you will just softly be on your heel for a momentary part of the stride. Your calves are supposed to be relaxed enough for this to happen. Relaxing is a big part of this type of running -- relaxing your calves and your hips and your shoulders. Your abs should not be relaxed -- they are doing a lot of the work. It's running from your core, ideally.

I was grossly overweight 2 years ago, now I can jog, spar, and wrestle for good amounts. I managed 40 seconds on the breathing chart. Jogging and running are still a challenge for me. I know when my form is better because my legs hold out well, and I can quit from being winded.

If I can do it, anyone can!

I was breathing through my mouth to get more air, but I'll try breathing through my nose.

This is so ultra important. Just cut back on the speed if you feel you have to mouth breathe, and nose breathe only. After a short time you'll be just as fast with nose breathing as you were with mouth breathing.

I used to run barefoot on a golf course when I was in college. I did it in the early mornings. I remember the cold shock when my feet would touch the frosty or snowy ground, but it went away and my feet would warm up soon after the running started.

I still take morning jogs with my dog in a local park. Maybe it's time to try it without shoes. I do have a section on pavement with rocks that might hurt a bit. Thanks for the idea.

I walked around for a lot of the day today with no shoes. It's really not that bad. No pain, and it was actually comfier (especially on grass). I'm also breathing through my nose right now. That's the different part. Not so easy! I'm not going to tape my mouth at night, but I'll try my best with the nose breathing.

Nam

cognitivefun said:
2. Every night I tape my mouth closed.

Cognitive,

What kind of tape do you use?

This sounds like a really interesting idea, but I couldn't think of any kind of tape that wouldn't irritate the skin too much, being on for that length of time.

Thanks

Bamboo

Bamboo said:
Cognitive,

What kind of tape do you use?

This sounds like a really interesting idea, but I couldn't think of any kind of tape that wouldn't irritate the skin too much, being on for that length of time.

Thanks

Bamboo

It's Johnson & Johnson micropore tape. It really doesn't irritate at all. It doesn't seem real sticky but it sort of sticks a bit more as it is on longer, and it rarely comes of on its own. But it's easy to pull off in the morning.

I am astounded at the range of changes that I've had since I started these breathing exercises. Lost 14 pounds, no more snoring, I recover from weightlifting with less soreness, I pee less often, and I don't take asthma medicine. Wowzers.

People might think you're an escaped kidnap victim running around barefoot with tape over the mouth. :rolleyes: :)

Have you tried walking on pebbles ? the feet have many acupuncture points..........People here believe that's good for health to stimulate them.

BruiseLeee said:
People might think you're an escaped kidnap victim running around barefoot with tape over the mouth. :rolleyes: :)

Yeah and tape both arms behind back too.........good for expanding the lungs.....:D

my family wishes I taped my mouth during the day :D

I run on everything although I'm not tough enough yet to run much on gravel, or chipseal.

There's an Australian bloke who walks barefoot as he does his survival nature program. The skin on his feet is blacked and tough. He was out in the AZ desert looking for Western Diamondback rattlers and still was not wearing shoes. I know from experience that everything in the desert rips, stabs, slices, injects or rends the flesh, so he was well conditioned to be able to take that.

There's a thorn in Southern Ca, I've forgotten the name; looks rather like a three horned cow skull. They penetrate and hurt. As a kid my feet got so tough I could walk over them and not be harmed, but it required all summer. We had long summers in So Ca.

munk

I never saw ANYONE run on A'A lava in Hawaii. It tells you just how sharp it is when the ancient Hawaiians (who went barefoot all the time) would make special sandals to be able to take long walks over it:eek:

Yes, and I've heard about people dying on that kind of volcanic formation because they couldn't walk any further and they were too far away from help and better ground.

edit; I'm trying to move this thread to the Cantina. Lost my password and waiting for the new one so I can officially push all the right buttons and turn the Big Gear.

munk

Yes, and I've heard about people dying on that kind of volcanic formation because they couldn't walk any further and they were too far away from help and better ground.

Yep. They also ignore the rangers when they tell them that it is an extreme environment (usually mountainous areas) with no water. They have to rescue quite a few folks a year... Everyone thinks "aw, c'mon its Hawaii! What could happen?"

Same thing happens when people want to get right down next to the ocean to see the big surf...Bye bye.. Tiger sharks love tourist meat that has been pretenderized by the surf+lava ledges:eek:

Back