OT: Gun guys...can't afford, don't need, won't be able to hunt with..

YuGo's 49/56 SKS DO NOT HAVE CHROME LINED BARRELS. I have 2ea... Shoot Wolf ( Russian commercial ammo in it. If shooting Military surplus, clean rifle bolt and gas system useing Corrosive ammo cleaning method. Windex with ammoinia or Hot soap water..... There are afew other good ways alos. You don't clean it right away ,,, You will pay the price with rust and pitt's...WarDawg

Check out:http://www.surplusrifle.com/index.asp

and click on the SKS Carbine.

Then go to the forums and read up.

Then go to (auction arms .com) and search "SKS" and compare the offerings.

Then buy one of each-a Russian,Albanian,Chinese,Yugo,etc. ;)

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four
essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
~Alex Levine

I am opposed to millionaires........but it would be
dangerous to offer me the position. ~Mark Twain

Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little
later in life. ~Herbert Henry Asquith

I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon.
Then it's time for my nap. ~Bob Hope

Kis, I have a Viet Nam era chinese SKS w/fugly red synthetic stock. Shoots 3-4" with stock sights. It has all machined parts, cost $110 12 years ago, and has never failed to go bang. As stated, chinese guns have very short stocks. Also, I have been at the range when some of the cheaper stamped parts sks have gone "buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrppppppp". If yours does this it will not endear you to the range master. Adding a detachable mag here in Kalifornicatia is a ticket to three hots and a cot with a unsavory roommate :rolleyes: We are also not allowed to have the Yugos that are coming in w/grenade launching goodies.

I say "buy one". They are kind of like the "villagers" of military surplus :)

BTW, does anyone know if you can still get the fixed five round mags? I haven't seen advertised for years. I would like to get one and an aftermarket longer synthetic stock.

YMMV, and thanks for any mag info
stevo

Stevo- I don't know about the five round mag. It should still be made because of hunting requirements. If it's not, what about just putting a block in a ten round?

It's true the military sights as issued are fine, but I agree with Spectre about some of the great after market sights. They are an improvement worth doing if you shoot the rifle a lot. Anything mounted on the action cover is not going to be as accurate as mounted forward where the military front ramp is.
The Norinco Hunters have screw in covers, much more stable, yet I stil think this.

munk

munk, I could definitely put a spacer in the mag. I think the 5 round was flush mount, would make it look trimmer (still a sows ear :D ) For sights I thought about modifying one of the Marbles tang folding tang sights to mount on the back of the lower receiver; this would make the sight radius quite a bit longer and should help accuracy a bunch. As far as scopes go I wouldn't; if I had to I would either machine my own mount, or buy the ATI that you must drill and tap for. The reciever cover mounts are a JOKE.

stevo

ps ~ munk or others: do you have any experience with the mini mausers coming out of Yugoslavia? Charles Daly is the current importer. They also sell actions and barreled actions. I'm dreaming of a possible little 6.5 Grendel project for the wife and boys. Either buy a action and buy the rest ala carte, or get a 7.62x39 complete rifle and rebarrel it.

What is the fascination with military weapons? I have always thought of them as mass produced, cheap, and expendable. Certainly not the finest examples of the art of gunsmithing.

Of course over the years there have been some beautiful hunting rifles made up on the military Mauser action, but that's a whole world apart from the Chinese and European stuff people seem to be interested in these days.

What is the fascination with military weapons? I have always thought of them as mass produced, cheap, and expendable. Certainly not the finest examples of the art of gunsmithing.>>>>>>>>> Ben around

Ben, we are all of us mass produced, cheap and expendable.

I'm surprised you'd come up with such an observation. Military arms are little different, if any, from civilian arms. You think the Barrett fifty they use is different from the one you find cheap?

Mausers are among the finest bolts, if not the finest, ever produced. Ever. EVER. Yet they were made initially as 'military arms'.
If I threw out what you considred 'military' from my collection, I would be left with nothing.

munk

I think I can answer that Ben
Several factors for me
Guns are tools to me so I want the most reliable, heavy duty lightweight,throw under the seat, wash it off in a stream, pull it out of the mud, and fire type weapon I can find. Military weapons as a rule are designed to simple robust and easily repaired. In fact that is where their true beauty is to me. Kinda like an old beat up pickup truck
Some of the most remarkable innovative and proven guns ever designed have been adopted by different military branches of the world

plenty of surplus ammo and parts
Spray paint when rusted or dinged
reasonably priced

I do have a real pretty gun somewhere but it doesnt get much carrying time

Ben Arown-Awile said:
What is the fascination with military weapons?

Weapons that have been successfully fielded in combat have a proud heritage of military service and a well-earned reputation for toughness and reliability. Kind of like how war veterans in America are more celebrated than hunters by our population at large. These weapons have really been through it. There is no more hostile environment for man or equipment to endure than warfare, and any implement that can survive it and still function COMMANDS our respect and awe. GI's are far more abusive (for many reasons) of their rifles than the typical hunter is of his. Also the fact that military weapons invoke images of warfare. Hold your grandpa's unmodified WWII veteran GI 1911A1 and it almost speaks to you of its and your grandpa's missions together. Even post war military STYLE rifles that have never seen service have a nostalgic quality about them that hunting rifles lack.

And as for quality, since this is an SKS thread, no, the quality of an SKS is not usually top notch. But I have seen some early WWII era Colt 1911A1's, some M-1 Garands, and some early WWII Mausers and P08 Lugers that exhibit stellar old-world craftsmanship that would make any custom gun maker proud. So you can't make a blanket statement that all military arms = sloppy, shoddy workmanship. Some yes, some no--same as with rifles designed for hunting.

Having said all that, it might just be another one of those things that either you get it or you don't. But that's my best attempt to answer your question.

Semper - Ask Flinch at Tet to tell you about Bad Bob and the fun SKS shooting we had at the house one day...

Spectre - A *STRONG* vote with you on the Mojo sights. 1-2" at 100 yards is easy all day long

20 round magazines can easily be fitted to near 100% functionality

I currently have one fitted with a Choate functional folding stock...it wears both Mojos for use with the stock extended *and* a really nice laser that is dead on at 20 yards that is a lot of fun with the stock folded.

I agree that the Cetmes are also a lot of fun...fill a different role, but a lot of fun.

Either of these can be fed enough ammo to actually develop some skills...

Hey Ben...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I like "stuff." I think George Carlin did a bit some years ago on "stuff."

This current interest...is just that, an interest. My attention to khukuris initially and H.I. shortly after that was because I decided to investigate some "stuff" about woodswalking ala George Sears (Nessmuk). I found the forum. Just as the khuks are beautiful, simple, and represent an evolutionary answer to a practical need by a society, so too, some of the guns I have and are interested in are simple, practical, and represent an evolution of another sort.

The SKS was the arm of literally millions of East Bloc soldiers for many years. It is an evolutionary rifle. It doesn't break; doesn't require high maintenance, has inexpensive and widely-available ammunition, and is fun to shoot.

As Munk and other have said, it does not have the exclusive utility of being an anti-personel weapon, but may be used in hunting.

Again, speaking just for myself...my mauser-actioned scout rifle, my S&W revolver, my Winchester 97 shotgun, my Browning Buckmark .22 pistol, and the AYA sxs 20 guage shotgun are all varients of evolutionary design and utility, I like the sense of history and the knowledge that each represents. I like the beater single shot 20 and 12 guages as well.

I doubt that I fit in as a "gun nut," but maybe. I don't fanticize about heroism and conquest. Comes de revolution, I will stay home. But I like serviceable tools.

As for elegance?

Form follows function most often. These might be butt-ugly, but like any other rationalize bit of "stuff," I'm coming to find them interesting.

Also, I can't spend casual dollars, and have not been able to for almost a decade. This SKS seems to be the best buy on the marketplace for guns of this ilk.

Thanks for your interest.

Nasty and Spectre;
I tried all sorts of mag conversions. The 20 fixed was my last hope. I tried two, two different models from reputable manufacturers and could not guarentee reliable feeding. Perhaps you and Spectre found the two mags in North America that worked 100%. I'd never reccomend any conversion to any SKS owner. I tried these conversions on several SKS's and as the manager of a popular gun store in So Ca saw many more SKS owners and installations.

To keep this in perspective, 100's, 1000's, and 100,000,000's, and 100,000,000,000's of rounds were expended in the high desert by all sorts of owners. No one I knew could make any extension of the original 10 round fixed mag work all the time.
I'm sorry , but after spitting cases of ammo out and shouting, " Ai yi yi." I trust my experience and neighbors more than you and Spectre. In all due respect.

munk

Kis: I have a pre-ban norinco fitted with fixed 20 round mag, and Butler Creek stock.

The standard ten round fixed magazine can itself be modified to hold maybe 15 rounds by taking down the lower part of the follower or so I've been told.

An SKS-D can be had for $300 now and then. That one takes the standard AK mags. That was my all time favorite intermediate range rifle, even over the AR-15.

In any case most any sks is worth having if it's in good shape.

Like the Smith and Wesson fixed sight M&P Model 10 found used but in tight condition from a police trade-in for $200 to $250, it may not be glamorous but is hard as he** to find something that'll do the job significantly better for thrice the price.

Well, that's the way I think about it,

Great; Rusty, Nasty, Spectre all have fixed 20's that work.

I still dissent. The 20's worked better than the fixed 30's, but were not 100 percent. Oh well, just one man with some anecdotal knowledge.

But we do agree upon SKS utility.

munk

Kis,

Have shot but never owned the SKS. You will be happy with it.

A person of your quality however also deserves a K31, since they are also cheap right now, although the ammo is not.

Very accurate, great swiss craftsmanship.

Another addiction, if you had the disposable income.

Alas, if you do not!

I don't even have a K31 right now, as I am addicted to the more expensive and earlier 1889, 96/11, and 1911 Swiss rifles right now.

Truly, you all don't know what you are missing, but they take a back seat to the SKS on the cheap ammo question.

Take care,

Tom

"enjoy every rifle"

Munk,

I don't doubt your experience. I had the little 16" bl Chinese carbine and installed a 20 round Chinese mag (pretty sure it was Chinese- had a large raised star). Since I'm a hobbit, the short little ComBlock stock worked perfectly for me, and I
felt the 20-rd mag offered much more capability with negligible size increase. Perhaps if I'd had the chance to shoot it more, it would've started malf'ing on me. It was a wonderful little carbine, but it was one of many I sold off when I joined the Army. :(

For me personally, I use peep sights a heck of a lot better than the issue ladders. I was getting sub-one inch groups with old, mismatched, corroded ammo at 25 yards while sighting in a SAR-1 w/ Mojos two weeks ago.

The SKS DOES have some things going for it. The short 10-rd mag keeps the package from having a lot of projections for things to get hung up on; on the other hand, I don't think an AK w/ a 5-round mag looks much more evil, and one can always pop in a 30 rounder right quick.

Ben, maybe this thread will answer some of your questions about why one would "want" certain firearms. I appreciate your viewpoint, too- one of my favorite rifles now is a customized 1903 that I got from Art Eatman. It's a true classic, lovely, and a wonderful hunting rifle. At the same time, it's probably easier to focus on purty guns when one has a modicum of extremely useful guns as well.

Best,

John

Spectre, you are very kind. I'm starting to wonder if in the early 1990's Southern California had a bad shipment of 20 rounders. It is a large market. But it is possible we had the dumping of a large amount of bad goods. The two I personally tried were heavy blued metal- looked Chinese to me. The thirties really jammed, the 20's did a lot better, and all that other after market stuff- you know- the mags with the extended face to fit into the SKS reciever, as 'removable': they were real bad.

Spectre, no matter what I know- even on a subject I know more than a little- I'm always finding holes in my knowledge.
The human condition I guess- or the munk condition. !!!

Anyway, there are some excellent after market sights for the SKS and I'm glad you focused on that. If one loves the carbine and shooting it, a good investment. ( you could pay more for sights than for the weapon!! But it might be worth it)

Most of us find the little carbine useful as issued.

edit- you're right- the 20's had the Red Star bold on the face of the mags. If you have a AK that shoots sub 1" groups, never let it go!!

munk

You are correct munk...the cheap aftermarket magazines often sold in popular gunshops are crap and cannot be adjusted to function at the near 100% rate the weapon itself is capable of with a metal magazine which has been properly fitted.

Nasty said:
Semper - Ask Flinch at Tet to tell you about Bad Bob and the fun SKS shooting we had at the house one day...
Hope that shooting wasn't at *your* house! :eek: Looking forward to Tet and seeing you again. Several of our KY friends will be coming too. I have some news for you also.....

Back