OT Kismet's "Practical Hunter"

What Kis said is correct, tristan. Kis is a very wise and warm man, and that shows in his knife design. The antler just makes the knife so warm in my opinion. Like Kis' knife my Sarge knife came pretty much without a point. Instead of filing a full on tip, I just sharpened up the tip to make it sharp but rounded. I also filed the clip to a toothy utility edge. It has to be the most people friendly fixed blade I carry on a daily rotation. With its none threatening rounded point, short blade length, and familiar design I think the only knife that would freak the sheeple out less is a Swiss Army Knife. My suggestion to any that can get their hands on one of these beauties should do it. It's a great knife with a great work ethic that was designed by one of the great guys.

Jake

hollowdweller said:
Why are they afraid of some sort of zoonotic disease?
It's said that some deer in Wisconsin have Chronic Wasting Disease. It resides in the bone marrow so no cut steaks or roasts with bone in. It's either boneless, deerburger, or jerky.:grumpy:

Yuh nSuh, no chops either. :grumpy:

HD, here's a post from 11/02 thread on CWD in Wisconsin. Not much has changed.

DKP, re Chronic Wasting Disease...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took a tranquilizer before responding, so this may be calm. If it seems like a rant, please excuse me, it's nothing personal.

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a fatal disease of cervids (deer, elk, etc.) It appears to be caused by a protein callled a prion...which modifies other proteins, specifically in the brain and spinal tissue, and causes a deformation of them (spongeiform) which results in a condition not unlike Mad Cow Disease.

OK. That is what is known.

What is NOT known is: How it is acquired, how it is transmitted, whether it is genetic, whether it is endemic to the species and has only been noticed lately, whether it can be transmitted to other ungulates (cows, for instance)[NO instance so far] and if so, HOW it might be, whether it can be contracted by humans [NO instance on record in spite of 3 false claims], whether any contact would have to be intravenous or if eating the flesh would lead to contamination, how long the dormancy period MIGHT be and if cooking the flesh might have any effect on the ingestor.

Based on this wealth of ignorance...WISC DNR (and politicians and media) are treating it like the plague...have implemented plans to eradicate (Yes, ERADICATE) 25,000 deer (like they could--all hills and woods, plus some folks who won't let ANY hunters on their property) in a er..10 mile circle around an area near the town of Mount Horeb, WI. There were three special hunting seasons for the eradication zone during the summer, and a recent four-day state wide hunt.(They harvested around 1,000 deer during the summer hunts. Two or three percent had CWD.)

Formerly, one could get, by paying extra and if there were licenses available, up to three or four tags for anlerless deer, in addtion to the buck tag that came with a deer license. This hunt...THIS HUNT...I could get four tags a DAY (actually eight, because I am a "patron" license holder) if I shot a doe, then I could shoot a buck...or I could just shoot (I think EIGHT DOES A DAY) for the hunt. (Ok, I'm ranting...deep breaths, slow, deep breaths)

What has happened is...VAST numbers of folks won't hunt; others are dumping deer they shot, tourist hunters from Illinois aren't coming because the deer carcasses can't be transported over state lines, small communities who depend on the deer-season sportsmen are going to be devastated, and (have I mentioned?) no one knows anything.

Oh, also...Wisc. DNR has no place to put the carcasses of the deer from the eradication zone, nor will any incinerator take them.

By the way, Wyoming, Colorado, and maybe Montana have had instances of CWD for over 15 years with no effect on the deer herd, the cattle, and the humans who live there. And, none on the hunters who harvest the Elk and deer.

Boning the meat is a precaution recommended by DNR. Not invading the spinal column or brain pan is strongly recommended.

(There is a human disease that has a similar effect. It is found, or was found, in New Guinea?, in cultures that ATE the brains of their ancestors [one presumes after the ancestors died] as an homage.)

So, I boned the deer, and buried the bones and skull. I did not invade any marrow-bearing body structure. Did I need to? I doubt it. As much as anything, I did it to ally fears of of people I knew who worried about me.

Do a Google search on CWD...read as much as you can...including the terror messages...and make up your own mind. To me, this is a cluster-somethingorother.

Kis

Wrapping up gifts here tonight, had 3 of the 4 Sarges I've seen, in one place for a pic. Top two not cleaned up yet. Interesting variations on the handles.
3SAR.jpg

Top has large antler, fairly round in cross section. Shortest false edge.
Middle has very thin, round handle, too small for me. The large difference between the handle size and blade size is a bit offputting. Hopefully my smaller friend will find it the right size to use.
Bottom has large but very flattened oval handle. The steeper flare of the handle really locks your hand in against the guard. The flat cross section really lets you know where the edge is, compared to the round middle knife.

My dilemma was which of the top or bottom to give away to another friend, and which to keep. I liked the wood handle a bit better, but thought the antler would be a tad more exclusive. Since my friend really will use it on his hunting travels, I chose to give him the wood, which I felt fit the best.

Whatever the details, I do like these little knives.
Hmm, just had a thought, the not shown 1st Sarge I got and kept is also in antler. Shoulda thought about that before wrapping. Oh well, just an excuse to buy more...

Eight deer a day? Not an apple a day, nor a vitamin...

Reminds me of those old photos from a hundred years ago, showing wagon loads of Elk, Deer, and ducks taken by the hunters.

>>>>>>>

Those are beautifull knives.

munk

BTTT ....

So others can see an honest knife made in honor of an honest man.

And if you like the design, take a look at Fiddleback's sub-forum for a contemporary take.

Many thanks to Kismet for bringing this to my attention.:thumbup:

Thanks for bringing this one up:)

Great read:) Lots of good guys in this one, some of which aren't with us anymore.

After Andy's work, I was inspired to pack my Corporal knife. However, the wife is prepping the bedroom to be painted this weekend. That means that my knife chest is covered in a sheet...the knife chest also doubles as where I keep my socks and underwear, so I had to fish some out of the dryer this morning:foot:

It really is a fantastic little knife. Anyone who has the opportunity and needs a smaller EDC fixed blade should get one.

Beautiful Knife and pix

Just re-read this thread, from a link in the Cantina. GREAT people, wonderful memories of a different time; peopled with wise, caring, and generous folks who all cared about HI, and the other members of this Forum.

It's been a great ride, and I'm blessed to have had contact with the best of them.

Thank you all...both living and gone, and those moved onto other parts of their lives. What satisfaction and joy you gave.

Kis
Be gentle with yourselves.

This is enlightening! I did not know that Kismet was the original thinker upper of this super knife! I need to spend more time reading some of these threads from earlier perhaps better times.

Makes the two I have even more special.

That original prototype is incredibly awesome, love every single inch of that thing. Perfect.

Funny how the mind sometimes doesn't allow us to see what's right under our noses. I spoke awhile back about a even smaller AK Bowie. Scaled down a bit.
Reading this, looking at the pictures and holding mine, the tiny little 4w lightbulb in my head finally lit up and I realized this is exactly what I was thinking of all along. Why I didn't see that before ????? guess I'm a bit slow on the uptake?

Might be nice to get some more of these in the works.

Wow, I got a knife designed by Kismet and made by Bura! I'm kind of tingly all over.

yeah, me too.

Came to love this place, even now smiling at old posts and remembering old posters.

Be gentle with yourselves.

old guy1.jpg

Back