OT Rant; Why I dislike HK Firearms

OK, I don't dislike them, I just resent paying for them, and having money go to a foreign nation that opposes our international policies.

I read today the Pilots, the PILOTS flying commercial airlines get HK semi auto pistols. Well, tickle my fanny and rub their egos with holy water; what a crock!!!

I am sick of it. I grew up under the guidance of a Kansas Redneck engineer. He taught me the shooting essentials when I was 8. Like a lot of rural folks who don't boast and whose names you'll never see at Camp Perry, I can hit a long ways off and with a variety of equipment. I can hit with 10 pound trigger pulls that feel as if you're bending a wire and with 3 oz trigger pulls. I can hit with wobbles or rock steady stocks, free floats or flopping all over the horizan. That does not mean I don't appreciate fine equipment, but it does mean the difference between a 1000 pistol and a 500 dollar pistol is not worth 500 dollars!!!!!

I managed a gun store for several years after leaving the mental health treatment community. Hard to believe, I was staff, not a patient. I watched law enforcement carefully as their weapon choices changed. Initially, they wanted SW nines. They couldn't get the CZ75, and the variety we have today was not around. The progression basically went; SW, Glock, Beretta, Sig, and HK. As they went from one brand to another, it was cult status that made the change for them. Very few of them really knew weapons very well. This was almost entirely choice dictated by prestige, ego, fashion and manliness- what their peers told them was 'aweseome".

I watched helplessly as Beretta got the military small arm contract and the 1911 was tosssed aside. I was late as a student of the gun, not really studying the issue until I was 31 or 32, but making up for lost time quickly. I used to fall asleep with ballistic charts by my bed. I would read late into the night. It was clear the move to a .223 was illthought. Like a lot of folks, I realized the Holy Grail was actually going to be somewhere around 6 to 7 mm. I wondered what the hell was wrong with the 243? Today we have this 'new' round developed, a 270 with a 43 long case. That makes me squirm a bit, as the original Soviet short was 43. We just reinvent.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the Beretta- though that barrel design will never be as accurate as other pistols. If Ruger had been allowed one more stinking year, they would have given us a sidearm half the price of a Beretta, American made, and outlasting the Italian by at least twice as long.

Enter HK. HK is fine. But it is largely a 'cult' name, not an acuality. People will become deeply offended if anyone suggests their HK whatever's are not the cat's pajama's in weapontry. I swear to God I almost think there is something Psyho-sexual about the entire status of that firm. People sneer at me- scoffing, I obviously know nothing of weapons. The final canard, that of the 'professional' needing the 'best', and that his life is on the line, is a kind of trump card used to end the argument.

Now HK is all but guarenteed the contract for the interim weapon until such time as the big brains at the Pentagon can get a better bribe from some foriegn nation.

I hate to say this, but a litle Kel Tech is not that much less a weapon than the AR, and a Ruger mini 14 a lot more reliable than the AR. Granted, the Ruger has accuracy issues that Ruger would have had to address if that design ever was to make it. The military should have had a AR 18 system available for desert conditions. It is cheaper to buy and produce, is accurate, and many parts are interchangable with the AR 15. But no, that would be too smart a move.

So now we have the new miracle weapon system. HK is going to build it. Germany dislikes our policies, but profits both from our assertive policing of the world and these fat contracts.

Why can't Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Marlin, or Savage get time to develope a competition against the HK? Why must my tax moneys support someone's politics and ego regarding weapon choice?

So, Call me a rube. Dismiss these ideas as uninformed and a blight against the noble HK. For years I heard nothing but awe concerning the HK's roller system in the G3 and 91. And those 'fluted chamber'. YOu'd think they were reading a girlie magazine! Do you know why the HK needed fluted chambers? Because that silly weapon system would not function, the cases sticking and jamming without chambers cut with slight flats!! Even HK has moved away from it.

This entire weapon subject is chock full of BS from top to bottom.
Please join me is singing the HK anthem:

"Oh Heckler Koch, that we can't pronounce
You make me feel so strong, and keep my pillow warm
If looks could kill, this War is won
I look so deadly, in my new uniform."

munk

I totally agree with you. Although I think the 1911 is hard to hit stuff with SURELY they could have come up with something made by a US manufacturer.The Beretta thing left me scratching my head.

Even though I have a Russian SKS so I'm no holier than thou- I always thought it was a good idea to cut off the shipment of guns from China and Russia to the US. Shame we can't do that with the stuff Wal Mart sells.

If I had my way there'd be a stiff import tax on a lot of stuff to force people to buy american. I'm not against international trade, I just think we should maybe try to look after our own first, and the political thing is something to think about. If a country is going to manufacture and import guns into our country, shouldn't they be required to allow their own citizens to own them??

So does this mean in my 9mm thread you're glad I didn't get the CZ or Walther and opted for a Ruger Blackhawk? :cool:

For an outdoorsman like you, the Blackhawk made the most sense, Hollow.

The weapon systems used by the US military the last hundred years were primarily American; it is only recently we've fallen sway to the myth of foreign made. The 1911 outlasted anything else in history, and is still going strong in Special Forces. Our 03, (Mauser Ripoff) Garand, M14, and AR were great weapon systems. The AR was cursed with the wrong round and it took 10 years to work most the bugs out. As I've said, we should have had a gas piston cousin of it, the AR 18, ready to go for desert conditions.

For some reason, our small arms aren't good enough any more. Beretta got the handgun contract and now HK gets the new carbine contract. (if all goes according to plan. The deck is stacked; HK already has their design done and the prototypes in the field before any one else was even allowed to submit a design. Tell me that's the American way of doing things? )

Say what you will about Ruger- a Ruger semi auto handgun would outlast an HK or Sig. MY opinion. Probably the opinion of the late Dean Grennell as well.

I bet Ruger could have built a hell of a carbine if they'd thought they had any real hope of getting a contract.

Does anyone seriously think a Airline Pilot needs an expensive HK handgun or that such a gun will markedly improve his scores at any range? Come now. You know what they really ought to be issued? 8 Bore Flintlocks. "Oh My God; When Is That Thing Going To Go Off? And when it does, where in the heck is it going to hit? What won't it hit?" That'll clear the aisles!!!! What you wanna bet?

munk

I think H&K achieved "cult" status with the MP5. It was glorified in every film for a long time. Anyone who's anyone carries an MP5. :rolleyes:

The P7 is an innovative 9mm. Love that squeeze cocker. Expensive? Yep.

The USP system ain't cheap, but I've paid more for some of my Colt's than my USP. I needed a good, reliable 9mm bullet launcher and the USP was available for the right price. Condition 1 carry is a good thing.

As far as the US Army is concerned, American manufacturers should provide weapons. Period. Now.... Ruger did get a small handgun contract a while back. Maybe that's good news. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Corporate/News-12-23-2004.html

This is a good topic, munk. Thanks.

Brian

Wasn't there some sort of odd pilots gun from ww2 that was a single shot .45? Seems like I remember that from somewhere.

As far as the durability of the .45. I have a Colt 1911 surplus that according to the serial # was made in 1915 and it still shoots. That's what, 90 years old?

Hello munk,

I do not know anything about firearms (well, not THAT much) but I know that HK is quite expensive. German police and military seems to like the HK-guns. As munk says I do not understand how a country like the US selects foreign gun-manufacturers for their army. As far as I know Heckler und Koch (btw. I can pronounce it ;) ) is not a state company and pretty much international - as most of the "global-player" manufacturers are.
to a foreign nation that opposes our international policies
Germany hates our guts
The German government and the majority of the people oppose the Iraq-policy - but I see Bush and "old Europe"-politicians acting (note I say "acting"-I doubt they are) like friends again as they realize it is easier together and that the "enemy" is a common one as are many goals and values. No "Germany" does not hate "your" guts. This is a generalization I do not like.
IF HK were the best it would be justified - but I doubt they are - as I said I do not understand much when it comes to firearms. I hear they build a new plant in the US - so at least you have the benefits on the job-market (I know you would like it better if these jobs were created by Remington or another American manufacturer).
In the meanwhile I see HK seems to have a good reputation - kind of the "Mercedes Benz" of guns. Well, be it I do not think German engineering is as good as it used to be in the international competition. The "high-end" products in every segment are overpriced - and some of them are just "high end" because of the logo printed on them.
The problem is with those who choose these products. HK does the right thing, they are just too expensive.
Remember the trekking poles - I do fine with the basic Leki makalu - as they are light and short to pack. The fancy ones have extra features I do not need - but are heavier, longer to pack and more expensive. As a historian I see the same with the weapons. A robust, simple reliable but cheaper weapon a country can build within its own borders in large numbers may be superior to the fancy one that takes long to manufacture is often less reliable and needs parts or know how from other countries. Military business should be a thing every nation manages with "their own" manufacturers if possible - but check compatibility (voc?) of the systems (communication and ammo) with the allies if there are (in this case NATO - it may be useless but is a platform of possible allies or at least non-enemies...). But then German Air Force used and uses lots of US-built aircrafts - why not return the favor :rolleyes: :D
Andreas

The Liberator was a cheap single shot .45 dropped behind enemy lines for resistance fighters. Held the spare bullets in the grip.

http://lmd-militaria.com/page188.html

They were made by the Guide Light Company of General Motors for about 2 bucks apiece.

Included comic book instructions for loading and firing.

Brian

Edit. Kis beat me to it.

Munk: as I like what you wrote and Im starting my gunsmith 10 month school in september (which will leave me with gunsmith certificate),---- isolationism was never a solution.
If HK wins through a marketing politics rather than quality for price, then its the time for question what does the local companies do.
Its necessary to remember that todays way of the things is controlled by fashion and media, rather than a common wits. Means - fashion sells.

I think that standarts for firearms differ little in europe and U.S., for our worst, as your guys there heva always good taste for reliable and simple solution of design, everything somehow rugged and trusty.
I personally like all the "old" designs, but things went somewhere wrong with M-16 issue, I shot it in the army and didnt liked it a way bit. Not even comparable to CZ mark 58 issue rifle. (No offense).

By the way - how do you like CZ75 ? Do you have one of these?

Ive owned:
A Colt 1911
SW 645
Beretta Cougar
HK VP70
Fed ORd Ranger (1911)

Im buying an HK P9S. The price is higher than most of the previous pistols, but the P9S fits my hand better than any other gun.
They are expensive, but Colt's high class guns are just as expensive, if not more so.
A chaque son gout!

The Witness is a CZ 75. I like it. Great Design. The Israelis actually refine weapons, they don't design. The Ouzi was an Eastern European design, Hungary or Czech, I forget. (Spectre would remember) The Galil an AK clone.

<<<<Ruger could have done them better if they thought someone would buy them?

That says it all>>>>Savagetrip

The sidearm contract was as good as signed by the time Ruger had a chance. (ditto for SW- or maybe you'd like to slam them also?) Ruger had never made a semi auto center fire before and it took several years before the P85 had the bugs out. That became known as the P89 No case could be made the small wait would have affected our armed forces in the least. It had already been delayed 20 years. But let's examine what you're defending by elimination: The Beretta. Case closed. Inaccurate, non- robust relatively expensive weapon said largely to have been procurred in exchange for Cruise Missle sites in Italy. That is not a reccomendation for a small arm, but for Geo-politics. I'll always remember with fondness how the first Berettas could be grabbed by an assailent and pulled apart by gripping the slide. Real sophistication, that. The documented and catostrophic slide failures were a lot of fun too.

It is fashionable to dismiss Ruger among certain gun crowds. Yet they are with HK with metalurgic research and ahead in many areas. They build arguably the strongest guns made today. Their semi auto handguns would outlast the legendary 1911 between rebuilds. Say that for the Beretta. I'll always remember Dean Grennell loading the 45 acp past plus plus P levels in the Ruger P90. "Are you sure you ought to do that?" His friend and fellow gun writer asked, "That's a cast frame"

"Yeah, but it's a Ruger Cast frame."
End of discussion.

It's OK for people to admire Beretta and HK. It's not OK for my tax money to pay for them when no other nation on earth buys foreign if the domestic industry is in place, as is ours. Might was well have our tanks made by Fiat, our space craft by Japan, our cannons by Saddam.

munk

Uzi is based on Czech vz. 26 SMG. I think Jericho is another CZ 75 clone made by Israelis.
I shot firends Ruger revolver in .357 and liked it alot. I kinda like revs more than pistols and 6´´ barel does different work. :)
He said he bought it because Rugs are strongest guns on the market.
Dont have reason not to believe.

Jaroslav

I agree that HK isn't the best choice out there right now. I think it is the most "in vogue" gun right now. As evident by every action flick you see right now. Everyone is sporting a HK G36, never mind the fact that the G36 has had issues with the darn receiver melting under intense fire. AR's don't do that. I think the AR's had a bad start, not because of Stoner's design (and inspite of his warnings), but rather some paper pusher in Washington decided to use the wrong powder, causing the tons of jams experienced in VN. I think it took a good number of years to refine the AR to what you have now. One of the two flaws with the AR is:

1: ammo, the 5.56 in it's current configuration is not a potent man stopper. Ask the vets in VN about the stopping power of the 5.56 and you be hard pressed to find one that didn't like it. Why the difference between then and now. The VN era AR's used a 55 grain bullet out of a 18/20 inch barrel. The 55 grain out of a long barrel like that gave it enough velocity to really do some damage when it hit someone (tumbling effect). The 62 grainers now a days are coming out of a 14.5 inch barrel, not enough velocity to cause the bullet to tumble and cause horrific trauma but rather it's causing nice 22 caliber wounds that go straight through a person like an ice pick. No tumbling, no massive trauma. Hence the stories of having to shoot someone 10 times before they drop.

2: The AR basically "craps where it eats". The direct gas system blows gases back into the bolt area causing it to foul up and eventually jam. Not really a problem if your using "clean" ammo or cleaning your gun regularly. Unfortunately not all of our military are "gun" people and look at clean their firearms as a chore and not as a Zen experience as you and I do. There are a few manufactors on the market right now that offer a upgrade of the AR gas system by replacing it with a gas piston system like an AK. Problem solved right here folks.

Back to this original point. HK's now are what Beretta were back in the early 80's. Some genius at Beretta saw that the army was looking for a new side arm to replace the 1911. So Beretta decided to "give" their guns to the movie studios. Remember seeing Bruce holding the Beretta in the Die Hard series, or Mel Gibson in the Lethal Weapon series. Army brass had their people clamering to get a hold of these new super cool 9mm's. And to seal the deal, Beretta built a factory here in the US to build their "US made pistols". The rest is history. Or actually your seeing the repeat of history with HK right now.

Does that make the HK a better weapon, nope...just a sexier one. Me, I prefer my trusty Glocks. Not pretty, not sexy, but alway reliable, always accurate, always on my side. I saw this one re-enactment video Glock was showing at their booth during the ShotShow. Goes...like this, a Spec's Op unit was parachuting into one of the "sandbox" regions. During the jump, one of the operator's pistol worked loose and free fell down to earth. The operator, by chance came across his glock half buried in the sand the next day, picked it up, blew the dust out of the barrel and slide, replaced with a fresh mag and fired it. No malfuntions. Damn if that is not tough in my book. Wonder if a HK can claim the same, but you sure look cool holding one in a movie.

The documented and catostrophic slide failures were a lot of fun too.
I was told that this was an isolated case of Marines loading berettas with 9mm carbine ammo, which was way too powerful for the pistol.
If you put ammo in a gun thats not supposed to go in there, you cant blame the gun.
Mind you, I dont like the Beretta 92, but fair is fair.

It may be a reflection of age but 70 Series and earlier 1911's do it for me. Genius in simplicity. Easy field strip. A few inexpensive modifications - lowered ejection port, bomar fixed sites, a polished feed ramp and its a very servicable gun. 1911 commercial models prior to the A1 era = art. Lustrous bluing and incredible attention to detail. John Browning was way ahead of his time.

I don't own a H&K handgun and don't want to. The Colt pre-80 is my choice. I do own a H&K91 bought in 1980 very cheap. Its a fine rifle, extremely accurate and user friendly at least for me. The M1A is my first line rifle though. I don't buy into the cult crap - I go in the out door - but do appreciate anything that works extremely well.

Ice

Back