OT-- Weapons of the Alans (Alani) people

Originally posted by ACStudios
:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh MY! I hadn't read that the Alani were people eaters! Yikes ....

Have to remember that these many of the quotes are from old Roman authors (who haven't first hand experience with their material usually) - who also write about men with their heads on their breasts. ;)

B.

ACStudios:
Ben,

Very interesting. The site I got the information
from is: www.horsearchery.com

They have an extensive history section, which documents the exodus of the horse tribes across the Carpathian mountains and then each king for several centuries. I actually only got to King Bela IV, who was reigning during the Mongol invasion, but it goes on quite a ways after Bela.

Not to mention that they have some great bows on that site.

Alan
[\QUOTE]

Very nice site on the bows and history. Found this page linking to others who make such bows--For a few grand, and a LONG wait, some of these guys will make you total replica employing sinew.

http://www.horsearchery.org/Contact.html

There was a very good article in Scientific American a few years back on the physics and construction of Asiatic bows.

Ben,

I found that page a while back and drooled all over the internet! There sure are some beauties amongst the various makers. I actually looked into becoming a dealer for the Horsebow.com folks. .. the guy who runs it in the U.S. has a great dealer program. ... you buy three bows at full price (over a two year time period). When you buy your fourth bow, the total difference of wholesale/retail of your first three bows is applied to towards the *wholesale* price. You could end up with a free bow for your fourth one, depending on which models you bought earlier. After that, everything is wholesale prices.

The owner will buy back any stock you want to return in new condition for full wholesale price too. What is great is, there isn't any paperwork involved. You buy three bows in two years, you are automatically considered a 'dealer.' Very nice guy too.

This is one of the activities I am *going* to get involved with as part of my SCA stuff. Horse archery looks like too much fun. Now I just have to learn how to ride :D

Alan

Back