OT What's your favorite Handgun?

Got to go with my Glock 20 in 10mm a caliber that with multiple hits is marginally enough to handle most things with hair
Stack that with a AA arms .22 conversion and you have
an all around combo that doesnt weigh you down

Could live with a G22 or G23 if I had to

really hard to pick just one

i'd need my three fav's:

ruger .22lr auto
s&w model 19 - 6"
colt govt. model MkIV series 70

I'm amazed, well, not really surprised, how many take the 1911. I have a Springfield that's been ramped and ported

Why? I admit I'm new to 1911s. Is it because of jamming issues? I may be lucky because I shoot a custom?

I wouldn't carry this gun--to heavy and bulky. But if I did I would be pretty darn confident that I would hit what I shot at! This gun makes me look good--can't put a price on that ;) :p :D

I'm not a pistol shooter, but what I got is the Chief's Special, 2 in. S&W .38, blued, square handle and a Browning Buckmark .22. I'm pretty good with the Buckmark, and better than average with the Chief up to a certain distance.

What I kinda, mighta, thought of wanting...

was a .41 revolver with a 5in or more barrel.

A book, long ago, THE EVIL THAT MEN DO, (later made into a poor movie starring Charles Bronson) had what seemed to be good reasoning for the .41.

If I recall correctly, the points were: flat shooting, less recoil than .44 and .45, yet with equal or at least similar ballistics.

But that was just a book, and I'm probably never going to want one enough to try and get one.

I DO love the little Chief. The Buckmark has been flawless, but is just a gun.

Be well and safe.

I had a three screw Ruger single six convertible that I would give just about anything to have back. Sweet gun.

In ascending order of likeliness to find me concealing

FN Hi Power

1911 by Springfield

Glock 23

When Hunting Glock 23 or Smith 66

I have a Kel-tec 32 on me probably 90 of the time I'm not at work

Heck I hate these kind of posts!

Darn you MUNK !!!!!!! :D

Ok fellows, I owned 43 handguns, gave most to the kids but................my users and I do mean users, are.........

in .22's

Colt Woodsman 6" bbl
High Standard Citatation, 6" fluted bbl [old one]
S&W model 17 4" bbl
S&W model 317 3"
S&W Lady Smith Airweight 2" bbl beautiful smooth rosewood grips
Ruger MK 2 for friends to use, don't trust them with my good un's

44's

S&W model 24 4" bbl
S&W 624 3" bbl Lew Horton Special
Colt SAA Nickel 5.5"bbl

S&W model 29 6.5" bbl the old one
S&W model 629 5" bbl the Classic
Ruger Superblack Hawk, 4 5/8" bbl slicked action I have to add, after reading,
special edition model, .44 on a blackhawk frame

not used now.......
S&W model 29 4" bbl old one beautiful
S&W model 29 Nickel
Colt Anaconda with custom "BEAR Hug" grips, [$175.00]
Custom fully engraved, gold inlet, ivory grips, S&W model 629 [mucho dinero!]

Ruger Single Six convertible
Colt Huntsman
Tarus .22 revolver [like the Smith kit gun]
S&W 617 Kit gun
another S&W model 317 for my son
Two Colt single shot .22 short, "dragoons" collector pieces for the little girls
I think there is more but I have to open the safe to check. :rolleyes:

Oops that's ten 44's, :p

Munk I always wanted a .45 LC but it just wasn't found....yet. :D
I shoot the "yellow" speer magnum only, snake shot. It has the power of a .410. You must remember I reload so I can shoot my .44 specials mild or wild.... equal to a .44 mag, 250 grn Kieth bullet 23 grns of 2400.

I like 22's and double that .44's.

Bobwhite said:
I had a three screw Ruger single six convertible that I would give just about anything to have back. Sweet gun.

Munk, I also have an Old Model 3-Screw Ruger Blackhawk in 4 5/8" barrel. Convertible model in 45 Colt with a 45 ACP extra cylinder. Paid $25 more at the time to also get the original box and papers. Manufactured about 1969 or 70 I think.

You say yours has a custom grip frame? How is that? Is it an aftermarket item or from the factory? One time I took the large dragoon style grip frame off my 7.7" Old Model .44 Super Blackhawk, and installed it in place of the standard Blackhawk frame along with the wide target hammer and trigger of the Super. Made for a very nice little package with the large grip frame and short 4 5/8" barrel. Ruined the value of two old guns to do so of course, so had to switch them back after a while.

Also for a while in the 70's Ruger offered brass grip frames for the Supers for only $50. Some minor fitting was required and I wish I had snagged one.

Favorites are two:

My custom Series 70 1911 that I have put a mint into since 1983. Finally finished it a few years ago after buying every part you can imagine and making every mistake in the book. Will shoot 1.5" groups all day. In it's last config it has a Roguard'd frame, Grade 5 reblue on the slide, and elephant ivory grips. Ramped, throated, ported, Briley match barrel and TiNi bushing, original DEVEL competition mags, S&W "K" frame adj. revolver sights milled into the slide, and then tritium inserts by Tool Tech Gunsite installed. Swenson speed safety, original Safari Arms beavertail grip safety, beveled mag well, tuned extractor, long commander ejector installed in slide, 20 LPI hand checkering all around, videcki trigger, wolff springs everywhere, McCormick frame pins and sear / hammer and disconnector, Haarts recoil reducer guide rod fitted to Brown spring plug, restaked HD plunger housing and spring, hand cut frame up under trigger guard, Ed brown steel firing pin and oversized FP stop and extra power FP spring, etc., etc., etc. Wanted to make it perfect, and ended up trying just about everything and discarding half of it. Learned a lot out 1911's in the process, mostly that a large % of what you see for sale are BOPOS parts! (Bolt-On Pieces of S*&^.)

The irony is that if you buy a new Springfield or Kimber or Wilson or Baer pistol now, it will cost you far less than what I put into this guy, and come with most of this stuff by default AND probably better sights. 20 years ago the only way to get most of these features was to have them custom installed or hand made. Figure minimum of $400 for the gun, and another $2K to get it fixed up this way.

Second favorite is a lot simpler: Custom Lew Horton round butt S&W 629 3", mag-na-ported with Hogue grips and trigger job. Looks great, feels great in the hand, shoots like a dream, esp. with .44 specials, but can handle full house .44 mags if needed.

Regards,

Norm

Impossible to answer...too many to choose from and too many purposes.

I'd do better in AA's blond, brunette or redhead thread...

I think Mackasenbach must be my long lost twin. I would also pick a Glock 20 with a .22 conversion kit. If I had to conceal, it is a Glock 29, the smaller 10mm. From mild to wild velocities, and 16 rounds on tap even before you pull out the 29-round big sticks.

1911. I've shot a Kimber a bunch of times at the local range, and I always get my best groups using that gun. It just feels right.

What a difficult question.

I'd have to agree with Shann on the Colt Anaconda as my all-time #1 choice. Mine has a 6" barrel and delivers full-power 44 mag loads with grace. With low-power handloads it's a tackdriver.

My second choice is the S&W 649.

My choices, Well let's see. Got a fantastic Sig P220(45ACP) P225 (8 shot 9MM) P228's older brother and a Colt Commando Special 38( Like a Detective Special but military finish) and a S&W 9MM 6906 compact. First choice would be the P220, Second choice would be P225, then the S&W, the Colt would be my backup gun for all.

James

I cannot believe anyone would leave the 1911 at home because it was 'too heavy." Hollow, the 1911 is a great choice, it's just I didn't expect so many here.

I must admit my back hurts enough so I often carry either a khuk or a revolver as opposed to both just 2 years ago.

Here's a list of handguns I don't own anymore:
Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" barrel-had it rebarrled
SMith 657 6.5 Had it rebarrled too
Ruger 5.5" 41 Redhawk- now that one hurts!!!
Wesson 375 Supermag

And Sams, just for you, the one I should have bought but listened to a silly friend instead and did not get:
A stainless, I guess that would be the 624 Smith , 44 special cal, excellent condition
275 Dollars in pawn.
Yep. There was a great pawn in Riverside Ca that had these deals all the time. I would have needed to borrow the money, which I don't like, and I already had those ballistics and more in my 41's, so like a fool I let it go.
They had 41's and great revolvers there all the time. What a great place- Downtown Riverside, old district, near the Mission. Guns all gone now thanks to Boxer and stupid voters.

I have a 14" heavy barreled Buckmark that is a tack driver. I put a bipod on it and it is so fun to shoot.

When I hiked in the desert, and now when I go to the woods, there are still enough four and two legged nasties to want a revolver that ends discussion with a single hit.

After seeing what happens to deer taken with the 41, it is difficult to imagine anyone responding if hit, even if only in an arm. What arm?

I must work out a holster system for the Mt Bike, now that I know the big cats will actually attack riders.

munk

Munk you had some real good ones! I think ballisticly the .41 is superior than the .44 I know it would have done much better in the market place if the ammo makers would have put out a few more variations. I guess they didn't see a profit with the .44 so close.

One of the greatest virtures of the .44 is the ability to shoot the various . 44 special loads and a greater assortment of magnum loads. I use my pistols to hunt and have some good stories but I already feel like I'm bragging too much.

Did shoot a 6 ft timber rattler the other year. I felt bad later but my reflexs were quicker than my brain. :( As a matter of fact my wife, kids and friends know not to sneak up on me. I have a"code" they whistle when they come in the house. :cool:

Svashtar said:
Also for a while in the 70's Ruger offered brass grip frames for the Supers for only $50. Some minor fitting was required and I wish I had snagged one.

Norm

Brownells offers brass grip frames either standard or bird's head with Hogue imitation ivory grips that fit right on.About $150 if I recall.

Oh, about grip and grip frame design: I did not like the Anaconda when I fired one. I thought of the three main players, Smith, Ruger and Colt, it recoiled the worst. Now Raghorn says he loves his. People are different. Thank goodness.

Before Ruger put out a Vaquero bird's head grip, I took the grip frame off my Blackhawk and with a hacksaw, sandpaper, and steel wool, cut the square of the grip away. I did not take the curve all the way under because I did not want the gun to roll, but left a flat for the gun to push against. It does, it does not roll, and handles recoil brilliantly. I made custom grips for it out of fine figured walnut. normal grips will not fit any longer. Well, you'd have to cut them down, anyway.

In those days I was always fooling with guns, and I've done some bone head moves- I'm not a natural engineer type. But I loved refinishing old Garands by hand. I'd sand for 12 hours straight, watching the grain unfold. I didn't know about using a chemical to strip it. Probably wouldn't like the work if I had. I would put a chair outside and sit in it all day, from early morning to nightfall, sanding.
The reason I needed a replacment grip for my model 57 is I took too much off the old one. I had it perfect but went too far- into a fin. Yikes. If you take the old Smith square back grip, and round it off and take some off the bottom, you end up with a smooth handle that fits your hand and has just a little bit more material on top than bottom, the way a good hold should.

I actually like my redo's better than the Hogues.

I asked on the HR where I could get some replacement Smith grips and a neat guy from Florida emailed me with two perfect Goncola Alves grips. I needed another one to replace the aftermarket grips on the model 58- too small for me. The guy only wanted 5 dollars for each pair- ten dollars total, five dollars shipping, 15 bucks. He was so decent, he had no use for them, I sent him 20 instead, and actually would have had a good deal If I'd sent him 40.

But I really lucked out, and didn't cheat anyone.

I could have a whole thread on people who take advantage of others when buying guns. It really boils my blood. Especially if it's a old man or lady who does not know what the firearm is worth. I actually hear these cretins bragging about this as if it was a particular skill on their part to defraud and steal. I don't consider these people part of the gun clan, but bottom feeders found in any group.

If anyone here has a real small hand and wants to try my modified Smith grips- the pair I took too much off of, let me know and I'll send them along. Just too thin for me now. But they aren't any thinner than the rubber replacements you see all the time on Redhawks and Smiths.

munk

Back