OT What's your favorite Handgun?

Sams, the 41 needed a 235 gr and a 250. Today it has the 250 in federal. At least, it did recently. Maybe it's gone now.

Still, there isn't much couldn't get done with the 220. I load 'specials' in the same case. Somewhere around 1000 fps.

I have a recipe for 300 grainers in the 44. I couldn't find a single slow load for the 300. I have 8 reloading manuals and many books, years of mags, and no loads- they were all hot. So I figured it out myself. I lob these son's of gun's in. It is so funny. Like rocks. I don't know how fast, maybe 650, maybe 800. But in the SuperRedhawk these light 300's will do under an inch at 25 yards. I had to find a slow load, the friggen Western Nevada lead said it was hard cast....it can claim whatever it likes; but it leaves a wake of lead paint behind it at any but slow speed. Could be the giant Ruger chambers. Ruger decided to give me enormouse chambers so I wouldn't hurt myself.....&^%k)""(~?"!!!
I've never figured out how the 44 ever made it's rep on the 240 grain bullets. If ever there was a mismatch this is it. It feels like you hit the wrong end of the bat every time. And it's not at the 44's mathematical height- it's at the lower end of value. But put 265 or 300 grainers in the 44, and it shoots great- feels wonderful- that powerful push backwards- not that vicious silly slap.
I guess a whole generation must have grown up thinking being slapped around was good fun.

But in my revolvers and rifles I always go for heavy for calibre rounds.

I don't really like the 300 mags; if I'm going to get hit so fast my eyes and spine are buzzed before I even know what's happened....well, I'd rather take more recoil energy but at a slower speed. So I naturally gravitated to the 45/70 and 375 H&H.

The 41 doesn't seem to have a bad round, a bad speed.
I didn't pick the 41 because it was said to recoil just a tad more gently than the 44. Just picked it to be different. I read all about hunting revolvers and that round just seemed to make the most sense.

munk

I want to love the 1911, I really do. I shot one for six years in the military and I've owned three, but all of them had reliability issues. Someday I'll probably buy another, it's one of those relationships.

You can get them to be reliable. But I like revolvers. They're as simple as I am. Round and round, what you see is what you get.

I defy any alien ray gun to stop the cylinder from turning, the hammer from dropping, and the explosive event taking place.

munk

munk said:
You can get them to be reliable. But I like revolvers. They're as simple as I am. Round and round, what you see is what you get.

I defy any alien ray gun to stop the cylinder from turning, the hammer from dropping, and the explosive event taking place.

munk

Yup, I agree 100%.

raghorn said:
I want to love the 1911, I really do. I shot one for six years in the military and I've owned three, but all of them had reliability issues. Someday I'll probably buy another, it's one of those relationships.

I know the feeling!!! I sold a "standard" Colt 1911, sold Combat Commander, and bought a 70's Gold Cup and was happy. Latter came the Les Baer. No problems with my reworked Officers Model either, Rag.

The 1911 is a great pistol if you can find a reliable one.

"Just picked it to be different " you sure are different! :D :D :D

One of my 1911's always! ;)
CCW= my Kimber Ultra CDP
Field= Springfield Racegun, in SOE thigh rig.

On me: S&W Bodyguard Airweight M38 in 38 spl.
About me: One of my CZ83 380's with 13+1 in gun and two spare 13 round mags. Until one day I somehow don't buy a new gun one month and instead have my 2&1/2" M19 rebuilt.

Over on FFF ( Family, Friends, Firearms forum ) they had a thread abuot European law enforcement and what they carried, and one guy recalling a Czech cop advocating the 32 acp: " ... can shoot rapist in back of head and not hurt lady! "

For some reason that comment stuck in my mind. Whyever on earth would it do that, I wonder?

Of all the various hand hardware I own, if the SHTF I would take two Glocks, one in 40 cal with barrels for 9mm and .357 Sig and one in 45 ACP. Some of the same ones I depend on for home defense. Reliable, simple, field maintainable, and cheap compared to a reliable 1911. Also, would take a lightweight .22 cal S&W.

I know you asked about hand hardware, but as for shoulder irons my friend always reminds me that you "only can carry one" when I ponder buying a new rifle. I am undecided on which one of these is my favorite, but it would probably be in .223 or .308 and semi-auto.

Green Ice said:
Colt M1911 LW Commander. Totally reliable (maybe I got one of the good ones :D )

Ice

Probably one of the best "social" guns ever made. Count yourself lucky. If I could find one that was reliable, I would get a second mortgage to have it. ;)

If I had it to do again I'd buy a $469 stainless Springfiend 1911-A1, replace the mainspring housing with another stainless msh that didn't have the integral lock, and go with King's or Wilson replacements for the MIM parts. Other than a short trigger, a smallish oversized safety, and pro-forma fluff and buff including the ramp and throat, and maybe grip safety with speed bump.

Of three Colts, I've ended up returning most all back to factory configuration from what others had put on them.

Rusty good configuration. You can get a good custom .45 today for under 2k. In the 60's I coresponded with Armand Swensen for one of his .45's but he was back logged. I like Les Baer but there are so many others not available 20 yrs ago.

I am over the hill but in my time I was a key player. :)

Like many others, the older I get the better I was. ;) :p :D

Rusty said:
Of three Colts, I've ended up returning most all back to factory configuration from what others had put on them.

I like the rounded relief cut beneath the trigger guard on the front of the magazine housing on the enhanced models.

I normally stay with a straight mainspring housing and slimline grip panels. Feels better to me.

Conversely I like the fat Ajax Rosewood grips on my HP...

Hey I'm weird :D

The 1911 was the only semi auto I've owned until recently- and I basically just got another 1911- Colt Delta Elite. I got a Springfield in the early nineties for 339 bucks. It had wood grips and fixed sights. I had it ramped and ported and it seems to be reliable. It is very tight. Not like the rattling Colts I've seen. You've all heard the joke: old gunnie takes a newbie into the gunstore to looks at handguns.
"Now son, all the Colt's are named after Snakes. This here is the Cobra, the Anaconda, the Python."
"What's that semi auto there?"
"That? Oh, that's the Rattler." The old gunnie looks at the youngster with a straight face. He take the weapon from the clerk and shakes it. Sure enough, a distinct rattling sound is heard.

Guys, if you have to spend 2000 bucks to make a gun do its thing, well, that's just too much. 2000 is halfway to the Barrett 50 bolt and a third to the semi auto. You can buy 4 great wheel guns for 2000 dollars.

You can get 2 or 3 AR's for 2000 bucks. You can get among the best bolts made. You could get a safari rifle and a regular hunter.

If you got a Sig you wouldn't have to spend another 1000. Surely you can find a basic 1911 that is accurate and reliable for less than 2000.

munk

If I spend 2000 bucks for a handgun, I want a particle beam.

Sams- the 1911 is the ONLY semi auto I ever owned. I figured, why not get the grand master? But 2000 bucks?

munk

Hey buddy I know where your'e coming from. I spent 1700 for my .45 that I carry to kill or be killed. What more can be said?

I've got a pretty decent collection of sidearms and my favorite is the one that shoots the best. For me that is my Sig P220 with the Glock model 21 not far behind. For a nice compromise on size and caliber I have a Firestar in .40 that I really enjoy carrying. Handguns are nice but I really like long guns. Nothing like watching the oil burn off of your FAL barrel on a cold winter morning :D :D :D

Back